Author Topic: Book Suggestions  (Read 2330 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Book Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 11:36:02 pm »
Authors: Michael Connelly, Stuart Woods, James Michener, Terry C. Johnston, Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, Robert Shirer, Stig Larsson, Vilhelm Moberg, Henning Mankell, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 12:19:22 am »
Authors: Michael Connelly, Stuart Woods, James Michener, Terry C. Johnston, Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, Robert Shirer, Stig Larsson, Vilhelm Moberg, Henning Mankell, etc.

Thanks.

The Gates book is good!
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:55 am »

Space was brilliant.
The Source - it should be required reading for anyone with even the vaguest interest in Israel and the Middle East.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:05 am »
Lord of the Rings - been through the trilogy three times so far. I dig out the books every 15 years or so, on average. I tend to skip over Tom Bombadil though. He's annoying. :laugh:

The Hobbit - I can't count. Three or four times before I were 17, then about once every 18 months, aloud to the kids and grandkids. That, plus Alice in Wonderland, are the two favorite bedtime story books. Not one member of our family has seen or will see the movie, because it would destroy something special we have as a family.

The Simarillion - Look, I tried. Never managed to get more than 40 pages in. It is an instant insomnia cure as far as I can tell!  :laugh:

Too bad...I think you would like the tale of Turin Turambar and his black sword...Tolkiein's son did with his Father's notebooks much the same as Frank Herbert's son did with his.  The Book of Lost Tales....The Lays of Beleriand....there is a lot there.

Ever hear of a guy named Larry Niven??  Some of his writings would make an incredible movie, given the state of computer animation these days....

I would start with "Protector", advance through the "Ringworld" series and proceed to "Footfall"...

:beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 03:45:17 am »
Too bad...I think you would like the tale of Turin Turambar and his black sword...Tolkiein's son did with his Father's notebooks much the same as Frank Herbert's son did with his.  The Book of Lost Tales....The Lays of Beleriand....there is a lot there.

Ever hear of a guy named Larry Niven??  Some of his writings would make an incredible movie, given the state of computer animation these days....

I would start with "Protector", advance through the "Ringworld" series and proceed to "Footfall"...

:beer:

:beer: :beer: I'll give it another shot!

As far as Niven goes, Ringworld would be magnificent. On the other hand, World of Ptavvs could be done right now with minimal CGI - sort of an intelligent version of the Matrix. On the gripping hand, Bey Schaeffer. His stories are MADE for a movie.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink