Author Topic: Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities  (Read 1557 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:35:09 am »
http://freebeacon.com/schumer-calls-for-using-irs-to-curtail-tea-party-activities/

Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities
Democratic senator says Obama should bypass Congress, use executive powers

BY: Alana Goodman 
January 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) proposed using the Internal Revenue Service to curtail Tea Party group funding during a speech on how to “exploit” and “weaken” the movement at the Center for American Progress on Thursday.

Arguing that Tea Party groups have a financial advantage after the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision, Schumer said the Obama administration should bypass Congress and institute new campaign finance rules through the IRS.

“It is clear that we will not pass anything legislatively as long as the House of Representatives is in Republican control, but there are many things that can be done administratively by the IRS and other government agencies—we must redouble those efforts immediately,” Schumer said.

“One of the great advantages the Tea Party has is the huge holes in our campaign finance laws created [by] the ill advised decision [Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission],” Schumer said. “Obviously the Tea Party elites gained extraordinary influence by being able to funnel millions of dollars into campaigns with ads that distort the truth and attack government.”

The Obama administration proposed new IRS restrictions on campaign related activity by tax-exempt groups last November. The rules would crack down on “candidate-related political activity,” which includes advocacy “for a clearly identified political candidate or candidates of a political party” and communications that are “made within 60 days of a general election (or within 30 days of a primary election) and clearly identify a candidate or political party.”

Last May, the IRS admitted to singling out Tea Party groups for increased scrutiny when they applied for tax-exempt status. The scandal forced the resignations of IRS Commissioner Steven Miller and director of Tax Exempt Organizations Lois Lerner.

Schumer was one of several Democratic senators who sent a letter in 2012 calling on the IRS to investigate tax-exempt groups for allegedly engaging in political campaign activity. He was also the architect of the 2010 DISCLOSE Act, legislation targeting the Citizens United ruling that failed to pass Congress. Senate Democrats introduced a similar bill in 2012.

Schumer also proposed electoral reform in his speech. “Our very electoral structure has been rigged to favor Tea Party candidates in Republican primaries,” he said.

He argued that this is due to the political makeup of primary voters and gerrymandering by Republicans who “draw districts where a Democrat could never be elected.”

Schumer recommended a primary system “where all voters, members of every party, can vote and the top two vote-getters, regardless of party, then enter a run-off.”

The senator claimed there was a divide between what he called “Tea Party elites”—namely, the Koch brothers—who support small government policies, and the “Tea Party followers,” who support government programs such as Medicare and public education.

He said the small government mantra espoused by Tea Party leaders is the “core weakness of the Tea Party, and one we can exploit to turn American politics around to the benefit of our nation.”

According to Schumer, many Tea Party supporters are drawn to the movement because of their concerns about a changing country that “white Anglo-Saxon men are not exclusively running” anymore.

“The Tea Party rank-and-file know it’s a different America,” said Schumer. “It looks different; it prays different; it works different. This is unsettling and angering to some.”

He also compared the Tea Party to the Prohibition movement, and argued that its policies were “the route of the Know-Nothings, Prohibitionists, Father Coughlins, and the Huey Longs, towards anger, negativity and even hatred.”

Schumer’s speech comes at a time when both the Tea Party and President Barack Obama are facing record-low approval ratings.

Just 30 percent of Americans view the Tea Party favorably, according to a Gallup poll released last month, while 51 percent view the movement unfavorably.

Meanwhile, President Obama’s job approval rating has plummeted to 43 percent on the heels of the botched Obamacare rollout, according to the RealClearPolitics polling average. His disapproval rating is also 51 percent.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:37:20 am »
[[ Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) proposed using the Internal Revenue Service to curtail Tea Party group funding during a speech on how to “exploit” and “weaken” the movement ]]

They're not even trying to be subtle about it any more...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:39:54 am »
[[ Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) proposed using the Internal Revenue Service to curtail Tea Party group funding during a speech on how to “exploit” and “weaken” the movement ]]

Nope..they used to hide their actions..now they announce them...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:42:12 am »

Like Lipstick said on another thread - the Podesta effect... besides he knows Boehner and McConnell agrees with him.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:42:56 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:56:43 am »
They don't even know what the Tea Party  is. My interpretation is the Tea Party is conservatives, plain and simple. Actually, many in the Tea Party aren't that conservative at all, except they are for fiscal conservatism and small government. Schumer doesn't have the guts to say conservatives, and uses the Tea Party to protect his real feelings.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:44 am »
They are all, both parties, rallying around and protecting their money bags and their absurd wealth, which was all taken from us stupid 'working class' of course.

Government is scum.

By the way, didn't they just make IRS harrassment legal? I think they did. Both parties voted for it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:46:49 am »
They are all, both parties, rallying around and protecting their money bags and their absurd wealth, which was all taken from us stupid 'working class' of course.

Government is scum.

By the way, didn't they just make IRS harrassment legal? I think they did. Both parties voted for it.

Yep........ tell me have you - has ANYONE - heard any whimpers from the GOP in DC about the jihad against the Tea Party/Conservatives?  Nope because they are 1000% complicit in this.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:01:56 am »
Fascism is as fascists do, and Mr. Schumer is a definite fascist.

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 04:28:43 am »
Yep........ tell me have you - has ANYONE - heard any whimpers from the GOP in DC about the jihad against the Tea Party/Conservatives?  Nope because they are 1000% complicit in this.

Who does the GOP think is going to vote for them? They have the idea that we will hold our noses, and will keep throwing rinos at us.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:16 am »
Who does the GOP think is going to vote for them? They have the idea that we will hold our noses, and will keep throwing rinos at us.

I think they are going to stuff their pockets with cash and take their chances in November.. I don't think they care as long as they walk away rich.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:23 am »
Fascism is as fascists do, and Mr. Schumer is a definite fascist.

In a FREE country no one would have a tool like the IRS with which to harass anyone in the first place!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 02:02:13 pm »
As I remember it, Nixon was vilified for using the IRS to target enemies by these democrats who now support doing it.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:57:04 am »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Relic

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:18 am »
I've said it before. They've declared war. In war, you can't choose not to be involved.
I'm not sure how to fight, but they mean to crush anyone who isn't "progressive".

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 03:24:39 am »
I've said it before. They've declared war. In war, you can't choose not to be involved.
I'm not sure how to fight, but they mean to crush anyone who isn't "progressive".

Yeah, that is why I got suspicious when the cops asked me, Who is your employer? Why would they need to know that? How is my boss relevant to a speeding ticket or to the cops? Are these guys planning to involve my job and my employer in this? I told them I work for McDonalds. You can't trust anybody these days.

And now the IRS, theoretically, is going to run health care and decide who lives and who dies. What a great idea that was. If they will target the Tea Party with taxes, why wouldn't they target the Tea Party with healthcare. America has gone insane. America has become a lighter version of the USSR.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 03:30:03 am »
In a FREE country no one would have a tool like the IRS with which to harass anyone in the first place!

Baloney.  In a free country elected leaders wouldn't even consider doing that and the agency heads of such an agency would resign rather than cause their agencies to engage in anything like that.

It's like guns and gun control - guns don't kill, the people who wield the guns kill; just so, government agencies don't harass people, the leaders who wield those agencies' power do.

Forget about the IRS, the police - federal (remember the US Park Service, including their police, harassing people intentionally during the democrats' shut down of the government), state and local, harass more people more continually, and cause more harm than the IRS does or could.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 03:30:54 am »

Yeah, that is why I got suspicious when the cops asked me, Who is your employer? Why would they need to know that? How is my boss relevant to a speeding ticket or to the cops? Are these guys planning to involve my job and my employer in this? I told them I work for McDonalds. You can't trust anybody these days.

And now the IRS, theoretically, is going to run health care and decide who lives and who dies. What a great idea that was. If they will target the Tea Party with taxes, why wouldn't they target the Tea Party with healthcare. America has gone insane. America has become a lighter version of the USSR.

Exactly.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:13 pm »
Baloney.  In a free country elected leaders wouldn't even consider doing that and the agency heads of such an agency would resign rather than cause their agencies to engage in anything like that.

It's like guns and gun control - guns don't kill, the people who wield the guns kill; just so, government agencies don't harass people, the leaders who wield those agencies' power do.

Forget about the IRS, the police - federal (remember the US Park Service, including their police, harassing people intentionally during the democrats' shut down of the government), state and local, harass more people more continually, and cause more harm than the IRS does or could.

Baloney right back at you! The IRS has, from it's inception, been used as a political weapon by politicians of BOTH parties and will continue to be used in that fashion for as long as we allow it to exist!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »
Congressional inquiry on Christine O'Donnell tax records heats up, but truth may stay hidden - Washington Times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/26/congressional-inquiry-on-christine-odonnell-tax-re/

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »
Baloney right back at you! The IRS has, from it's inception, been used as a political weapon by politicians of BOTH parties and will continue to be used in that fashion for as long as we allow it to exist!

Two points (a) prove it; extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and the burden is on you, and (b) assuming arguendo that the IRS has been used as a tool of political harassment, prove that such use has been significantly greater than the use of any other federal agency for political harassment purposes.

Beyond that, your belief that we can simply dispense with the IRS is charming, albeit fantastically naive.  Implicit in your assertions is the necessary premise that if the federal government returned to merely relying on customs, duties and excise taxes, collection of federal taxes would become automatic and self-executing - in other words, that there would be absolutely no need for any government agency to be involved in enforcement of those laws and collection of the taxes; at most we would simply need a few extra bean-counters in Treasury to keep track of the revenues voluntarily and automatically remitted by everyone.

That necessary, but unstated, premise of yours is simply wrong.  There have been federal tax collectors around ever since there have been federal taxes, and there have been federal taxes ever since the founding, or do you not recall the Whiskey Rebellion?  From the outset, the federal government appointed Federal revenue officers for each county in the U.S.  Those officers were aided in the enforcement of federal taxes by the US Marshals.

Speaking of political harassment, the Whiskey Rebellion is a perfect example of how even your beloved excise taxes can be used for political purposes.  Respectable historians have noted that Hamilton viewed the excise tax at issue in the Whiskey Rebellion as more of a tool of social engineering - enuring Americans to the imposition of federal taxes, as opposed to merely local taxes, as well as establishing the precedent of using the force of federal arms to enforce federal taxes - the guys who put down the Whiskey Rebellion would have made even today's IRS Special Agents look like milque toast by comparison.  Finally, as respectable historians have noted, Hamilton also saw the whiskey excise tax as a means of economic manipulation and control, serving to benefit the larger commercial distillers at the expense of the small local distillers.

The whiskey excise tax was also very regressive.  The tax was levied as either a fixed, flat sum, or as a per-gallon sum; the large commercial distillers could afford to pay the fixed sum tax, and essentially ended up paying a substantially lower tax figured on a per-gallon basis because they could produce and sell in very large quantities.  Conversely, the small local distillers could not afford the fixed sum and instead were forced to pay the per-gallon tax, which meant that they ended up paying an effective rate of tax that was higher per-gallon than that paid by the large - mostly Eastern - commercial distillers.

A short summary of some of these arguments by historian William Hogeland is here:  http://hnn.us/article/27341  Another discussion can be found here:  http://www.ttb.gov/public_info/whisky_rebellion.shtml  One historian, S.E. Morison, has written that the imposition of these federal taxes was as a measure of social discipline rather than primarily as a means of raising federal revenue.

Plenty of other material to the same effect can be found online.

There is but one conclusion, and one only, that can be drawn from this viz. tax collectors:  getting rid of the IRS gets rid of exactly nothing insofar as the existence of enforced collection of federal taxes and the existence of a federal tax agency that, like all other federal agencies, possesses the potential to be abused for the purposes of political harassment.

Turning back the clock solves nothing and, in fact, is more likely to aggravate matters.

A little more actual history, and a little less fixation on the writings of Marx, Engels, & Co. would serve you well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:38:46 pm by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
Two points (a) prove it; extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and the burden is on you, and (b) assuming arguendo that the IRS has been used as a tool of political harassment, prove that such use has been significantly greater than the use of any other federal agency for political harassment purposes.

Beyond that, your belief that we can simply dispense with the IRS is charming, albeit fantastically naive.  Implicit in your assertions is the necessary premise that if the federal government returned to merely relying on customs, duties and excise taxes, collection of federal taxes would become automatic and self-executing - in other words, that there would be absolutely no need for any government agency to be involved in enforcement of those laws and collection of the taxes; at most we would simply need a few extra bean-counters in Treasury to keep track of the revenues voluntarily and automatically remitted by everyone.

That necessary, but unstated, premise of yours is simply wrong.  There have been federal tax collectors around ever since there have been federal taxes, and there have been federal taxes ever since the founding, or do you not recall the Whiskey Rebellion?  From the outset, the federal government appointed Federal revenue officers for each county in the U.S.  Those officers were aided in the enforcement of federal taxes by the US Marshals.

Speaking of political harassment, the Whiskey Rebellion is a perfect example of how even your beloved excise taxes can be used for political purposes.  Respectable historians have noted that Hamilton viewed the excise tax at issue in the Whiskey Rebellion as more of a tool of social engineering - enuring Americans to the imposition of federal taxes, as opposed to merely local taxes, as well as establishing the precedent of using the force of federal arms to enforce federal taxes - the guys who put down the Whiskey Rebellion would have made even today's IRS Special Agents look like milque toast by comparison.  Finally, as respectable historians have noted, Hamilton also saw the whiskey excise tax as a means of economic manipulation and control, serving to benefit the larger commercial distillers at the expense of the small local distillers.

The whiskey excise tax was also very regressive.  The tax was levied as either a fixed, flat sum, or as a per-gallon sum; the large commercial distillers could afford to pay the fixed sum tax, and essentially ended up paying a substantially lower tax figured on a per-gallon basis because they could produce and sell in very large quantities.  Conversely, the small local distillers could not afford the fixed sum and instead were forced to pay the per-gallon tax, which meant that they ended up paying an effective rate of tax that was higher per-gallon than that paid by the large - mostly Eastern - commercial distillers.

A short summary of some of these arguments by historian William Hogeland is here:  http://hnn.us/article/27341  Another discussion can be found here:  http://www.ttb.gov/public_info/whisky_rebellion.shtml  One historian, S.E. Morison, has written that the imposition of these federal taxes was as a measure of social discipline rather than primarily as a means of raising federal revenue.

Plenty of other material to the same effect can be found online.

There is but one conclusion, and one only, that can be drawn from this viz. tax collectors:  getting rid of the IRS gets rid of exactly nothing insofar as the existence of enforced collection of federal taxes and the existence of a federal tax agency that, like all other federal agencies, possesses the potential to be abused for the purposes of political harassment.

Turning back the clock solves nothing and, in fact, is more likely to aggravate matters.

A little more actual history, and a little less fixation on the writings of Marx, Engels, & Co. would serve you well.

Playing the IRS card: Six presidents who used the IRS to bash political foes

The Obama administration isn't the first to face criticism of using the Internal Revenue Service as a political hit squad. Since the advent of the federal income tax about a century ago, several presidents – or their zealous underlings – have directed the IRS to turn its formidable police powers on political rivals.

As President Coolidge's Treasury secretary, Andrew Mellon ordered an IRS audit of a rival, only to find the Franklin Roosevelt administration, later, doing the same to him. President Nixon was caught on tape ordering IRS field audits of dozens of people deemed to be his political enemies. In other cases, a direct line of accountability to the president is not so clear. But whether directly ordered by a president or not, the IRS field audit has long been an option that gives new meaning to the term "bully pulpit."

Here's how six administrations played the IRS card.

http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/print/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/0517/Playing-the-IRS-card-Six-presidents-who-used-the-IRS-to-bash-political-foes/President-Franklin-Roosevelt-D

As I said the IRS has been politically abused almost from it's inception and it will NEVER stop for so long as we continue to allow it to exist!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:01 pm »
Playing the IRS card: Six presidents who used the IRS to bash political foes

The Obama administration isn't the first to face criticism of using the Internal Revenue Service as a political hit squad. Since the advent of the federal income tax about a century ago, several presidents – or their zealous underlings – have directed the IRS to turn its formidable police powers on political rivals.

As President Coolidge's Treasury secretary, Andrew Mellon ordered an IRS audit of a rival, only to find the Franklin Roosevelt administration, later, doing the same to him. President Nixon was caught on tape ordering IRS field audits of dozens of people deemed to be his political enemies. In other cases, a direct line of accountability to the president is not so clear. But whether directly ordered by a president or not, the IRS field audit has long been an option that gives new meaning to the term "bully pulpit."

Here's how six administrations played the IRS card.

http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/print/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/0517/Playing-the-IRS-card-Six-presidents-who-used-the-IRS-to-bash-political-foes/President-Franklin-Roosevelt-D

As I said the IRS has been politically abused almost from it's inception and it will NEVER stop for so long as we continue to allow it to exist!

Very nice.  None of them compares to the abuse ordinary Americans suffered at the hands of Washington and Hamilton through the imposition and enforcement of federal excise taxes.

There is but one way to achieve your mythical utopia:  the cessation of all forms of federal taxation, of whatever sort, and relying solely on voluntary contributions - charity - and, perhaps, the sale of federal land, to finance the federal government.

You complain of the cuts to the US military in the latest budget deal?  There wouldn't be a US military, period, if your ends were achieved.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »
Very nice.  None of them compares to the abuse ordinary Americans suffered at the hands of Washington and Hamilton through the imposition and enforcement of federal excise taxes.

There is but one way to achieve your mythical utopia:  the cessation of all forms of federal taxation, of whatever sort, and relying solely on voluntary contributions - charity - and, perhaps, the sale of federal land, to finance the federal government.

You complain of the cuts to the US military in the latest budget deal?  There wouldn't be a US military, period, if your ends were achieved.

Baloney again!

You are trying to protect your means of making a living by constructing strawmen! Comparing a selectively applied tax to one that would be applied across the board is an apples to oranges comparison and YOU know it!

What I am proposing would, as the law requires, raise the same amount of money as the current system does as anyone who want's to knw for themselves can quickly discover!

http://www.fairtax.org
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:00:27 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 05:24:15 pm »
The fair tax is an answer. Politically it must be snuck in because if any Rand Paul outright called for it they would be destroyed politically even if their laptop computer has to be NSAed to find dirt or twist something.