Author Topic: Opera singer Renee Fleming chosen to sing anthem at Super Bowl  (Read 722 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Opera singer Renee Fleming chosen to sing anthem at Super Bowl
« on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:43 pm »
This will provide one amazing ray of light for what promises to be a dull Super Bowl.

Renée Fleming has hit some important pop-culture markers in the past few months. In September, she went on David Letterman’s show to sing the Top Ten list. Now, she’s going to sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Musical attention at the Super Bowl usually focuses on the halftime show, but since this kind of attention is so rare in classical music these days, and since Fleming is the first opera singer ever to be accorded this, well, honor, the announcement has caused quite a stir....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/opera-singer-renee-fleming-chosen-to-sing-anthem-at-super-bowl/2014/01/22/e927bea4-83a0-11e3-bbe5-6a2a3141e3a9_story.html

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Opera singer Renee Fleming chosen to sing anthem at Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »
I'm actually surprised in this choice. It is who I would have chosen but it seems the way culture is moving, they would have chosen the next Miley Beiber Will.Who.Am.I.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
A very nice contrast to the crap they present as halftime entertainment!
My aspiring opera singer niece has met Ms. Fleming and she seemed to be a lovely person.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
Excellent.  No need to shudder about how she will butcher the lyrics or the tune, and certainly no worries about "wardrobe malfunctions".

Halftime is another matter....

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »
I bet they could have gotten the folks from the J.G. Wentworth ads cheaper. :patriot:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee