Author Topic: Boehner blames GOP for government shutdown on Leno: ‘It was a very predictable disaster’  (Read 3585 times)

Offline happyg

Jamie Weinstein

John Boehner spilled his guts to Jay Leno Thursday night, candidly outlining the problems he has leading his own caucus.

In his debut appearance on the “Tonight Show,” the speaker of the House conceded that Republicans were responsible for October’s government shutdown, saying it was a “very predictable disaster.”

“Listen, I told my colleagues in July I didn’t think shutting down the government over Obamacare would work because the president said I’m not going to negotiate,” Boehner said. “And so I told them in August, ‘probably not a good idea.’ Told them in early September. But when you have my job, there’s something you have to learn. When I looked up, I saw my colleagues going this way. You learn that a leader without followers is simply a man taking a walk. So I said, do you want to fight this fight? I’ll go fight the fight with you.”

“But it was a very predictable disaster,” he continued. “And so the sooner we got it over with the better. But remember the issue. The issue was we wanted to delay Obamacare for a year because it wasn’t ready. Then we asked them to at least delay the individual mandate for a year. So we were fighting for the right things, I just thought tactically it was not the right way to do it.”

Asked by Leno whether the current GOP infighting is the worse he’s ever seen, Boehner initially said “no” before changing his mind.

“Well, maybe it is,” he said. “It’s bad. Listen, you know, the funny thing about the so-called infighting, is that we agree on all the goals. We think Obamacare is bad for the country. We think we shouldn’t spend more than what we bring in. We think the president is ignoring the laws. It is all a fight over tactics. It’s not over what our goals are.”

Boehner said his problem was not with the tea party per se, but with organizations he believes falsely claim the mantle of the tea party.

“Listen, I don’t have any problem with the tea party,” he said. “Those people have brought great energy to the political process. Most of them have never been involved before. When you agree with someone 90 percent of the time, they’re not your enemy. My problem was with some Washington organizations who purport to represent the tea party who I think mislead them. There’s nothing I could do that was ever conservative enough for them.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/24/boehner-blames-gop-for-government-shutdown-on-leno-it-was-a-very-predictable-disaster/#ixzz2rKqppPTK

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem!

Boehner is DEFINITELY part of the problem!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem!

Boehner is DEFINITELY part of the problem!

No he's not.  He gave the Cruzites the rope they hung themselves with.  EVERYONE with a brain predicted the shutdown wouldn't work, and it didn't.

The good news?  No more shutdowns.  Even Cruz has tempered his language.  Mike Lee has moved on from confrontations that will surely fail.

Things are better.  We know what won't work.  Let's try some things that will.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline xfreeper

never would expect much from a guy who wears a pink tie

Offline Rapunzel

Go to hell, Boehner.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
We know what won't work.  Let's try some things that will.
What will, sink?

The courts? King John changed the law to fit his purposes.

The elections? Obama got re-elected.

The a-word? LBJ crippled this country the last time that was tried.

Secession? Impossible.

Nothing has worked. Might as well try something that actually has a mechanism.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline xfreeper

History tells us what works. That's why they want all the rifles

Offline sinkspur

What will, sink?

Secession? Impossible.

What works is winning the Senate, and then the White House.   A party cannot govern from one House of Congress.

Even with the Obamacare abomination, Republican numbers are still in the toilet.  It was totally unnecessary and totally ineffective.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

No he's not.  He gave the Cruzites the rope they hung themselves with.  EVERYONE with a brain predicted the shutdown wouldn't work, and it didn't.

The good news?  No more shutdowns.  Even Cruz has tempered his language.  Mike Lee has moved on from confrontations that will surely fail.

Let's assume you're correct, (since we know that you always do so).

A good politician, a statesman, will talk around the point. Perhaps give ground without burying his own party. Unless it is his intention to do exactly what you accuse the Tea Party types of doing, purify the party.

Could it be that the establishment GOP has lifted a page from the Democrats and now will accuse conservatives of doing exactly what the GOP is doing?

Offline Relic

What will, sink?

Secession? Impossible.

You know what works. Finding someone who is Democrat-lite and uniting behind them. Then we can all sing kumbaya as the Republicans govern like Democrats. But hey, they are on our side, right?! As if that matters.

Maybe we can convince some stalwart like Elizabeth Warren to switch parties and run for the GOP nomination. Then we'd win for sure.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This story happens to be about my current state representative but I'll bet it fits many others as well. It perfectly illustrates why nothing much changes no matter who we elect and especially so if we continue to vote for the guy with the most money in primaries!

John Otto: The Creature of Austin

January 24, 2014 by Tony McDonald

Last week we told you about Byron Cook, whom we recently dubbed “Representative Zero” after he turned in a semiannual campaign finance report loaded with lobby dollars but with nary a penny of in-district support. Well, as we’ve continued to review campaign finance reports, we’ve discovered another entrenched Straus committee chair who has committed the very same fundraising sin.
State Rep. John Otto
John Otto raised $119,000 in the latter half of 2013 but none of it came from his constituents.

Like the residents of District 8, the citizens in Liberty, San Jacinto, and Walker Counties (House District 18) don’t have a voice in Austin either. Their representative has demonstrated that he is working for someone else. Considering our founders fought a war over taxation without representation, it may be high time for a revolution in District 18.

According to John Otto’s report filed with the Texas Ethics Commission on January 15, he raised $119,000 in the latter half of 2013. With that infusion he now has a cool $530,000 in campaign cash at his disposal. But every single penny he raised in 2013 was raised from lobbyists or political action committees. Otto raised absolutely nothing from his home counties, or from any regular citizen, for that matter.

What does Otto do with all of that cash? He actually spends very little of it on campaigns. Instead he maintains an apartment in Austin year around, despite the fact that the legislature ceased meeting months ago. But that’s not all. Like George Jefferson, Otto appears to be moving on up. An expenditure in December noted that he paid movers to move from his Austin apartment to an Austin condominium. We’ll let you know the address of his new digs when his 30-day report comes in in February.

Housing isn’t the only perk John Otto enjoys as a creature of Austin. He is also able to finance his vacations at the lobby’s expense.

John Otto’s campaign finance report notes that he spent campaign funds (and accepted in-kinded airfare from United Airlines) to go on vacations with his wife in September and December of 2013. In September, Otto and his wife traveled to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for seven days. In early December they embarked again on a six day vacation to Canada, all at the expense of Austin lobbyists. These jaunts were allegedly to attend “energy council conferences” but one suspects Mrs. Otto didn’t tag along just so the pair could sit and listen to lectures all day.

For conservatives who think of themselves as representatives of their constituents, the idea of not raising a single penny in-district is a foreign concept. But campaign finance reports have demonstrated that two of Joe Straus’s most senior committee chairmen are fully bought-and-paid for by special interest PACs and lobbyists.

Maybe that is why John Otto, the Vice-Chairman of the tax-raising Ways and Means Committee and a powerful Appropriations subcommittee Chairman was instrumental in increasing session-to-session spending during the 83rd Texas Legislature by 26.9%. After all, those lobbyists that are paying for his year-around condo in Austin and for vacations with his wife have to get some return on their investment.

http://www.empowertexans.com/election/john-otto-the-creature-of-austin/

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

He is only the tip of an iceberg, Bigun. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
He is only the tip of an iceberg, Bigun.

Yeah! I know but one doesn't find this kind of stuff in print very often!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

Yeah! I know but one doesn't find this kind of stuff in print very often!

True that.

On the Oceander Loesch program at The Blaze she just had a long interview with the lady running for the Wendy Davis State Senate Seat.  Very interesting interview. I didn't know her district is actually a GOP district and she pretended (for a while) she was a pro-choice Republican before switching parties.  Oceander also noted since she has moved to Texas from MO and lives in the Davis district she has been speaking to people in the area and everyone says "oh, honey we've known all about her for a lonnnnnnnggggggggggg time"    The lady running for her seat also said they are well aware of Battleground Texas and how they are coordinating with Davis and that they have moved into Texas from Colorado after turning Colorado blue......

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Why do people act so surprised when political types, turn out to be..... Political Types?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Why do people act so surprised when political types, turn out to be..... Political Types?

I'm not surprised by it I'm just sick to death of it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

I'm not surprised by it I'm just sick to death of it!

:amen: ... but some people are okay with it.  Even on here.

Offline xfreeper

The amazing thing is they don't even bother trying to conceal it any more.

Oceander

Maybe so, but going on a talk show and blabbing about it months later means he's just part of the oh-so-predictable GOP circular firing squad.  Does he really think he's doing anything other than damaging the GOP by airing months' old dirty laundry on a late night entertainment show?  Please; he's as stupid as anyone else in the GOP is, and that's saying a lot.

When was the last time a blue-dog democrat went on Leno to voice his displeasure with Obamacare?

By doing this Boehner does demonstrate that he's part of the problem.  He's just as stupid and blind as anyone might accuse Cruz of being.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:13:51 am by Oceander »

Offline aligncare

We need real house leadership, not an establishment hack like Boner.

Boner must go!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Maybe so, but going on a talk show and blabbing about it months later means he's just part of the oh-so-predictable GOP circular firing squad.  Does he really think he's doing anything other than damaging the GOP by airing months' old dirty laundry on a late night entertainment show?  Please; he's as stupid as anyone else in the GOP is, and that's saying a lot.

When was the last time a blue-dog democrat went on Leno to voice his displeasure with Obamacare?

By doing this Boehner does demonstrate that he's part of the problem.  He's just as stupid and blind as anyone might accuse Cruz of being.

Well said councilor! Well said indeed!

:da man:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Levin disemboweled Boner on the show this evening. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Offline Rapunzel

Levin disemboweled Boner on the show this evening. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I missed it, what did he say?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I agree.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln