Author Topic: Prof suggests that Thomas Jefferson was accused of being a secret Muslim (rewrite of history?)  (Read 841 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:01:06 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Would Jefferson have approved of this article?

No, he would not.

He never, ever approved of broad brushing people, preferring to treat them on their own merits as individuals. Of course, he'd say the book was total bollocks too (he'd have used stronger language, he wasn't known for verbal restraint, none of the family is).

Of course he owned a Qur'an. All of the founding fathers did. They were gifts to the signatories from the first nation to recognize the USA as an independant nation and send an ambassador. That would be Morocco, BTW, a Muslim nation. Some aspects of Qur'anic law (AKA Sharia) were codified into the laws of the USA right at it's inception. The founders stole from pretty much every culture they had knowledge of, trying to make a perfect yet adaptable framework for the nation. Sure, the system you have is heavily biased towards a mix of Rome and Greece, but the core of it is from the Five Nations. The Second Amendment that everyone holds so dear is lifted almost directly from the Qur'an (as was the requirement for voters to be property owners - you guys really shouldn't have dumped that one). There are influences from Confucius, the Jain Empire, pre-Islam Persia, the Ottomans, even Ghengis Khan. First Amendment? - Actual law from the Roman Empire.

The founders were smart. Well and widely educated and read. They boiled down 5000 years of history, religion and practical politics into a single document and a system that was flexible enough to accept changes in the world, yet rigid enough to survive all but a deliberate and concerted attack on it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
Good lesson, EC! :patriot: But if Jefferson were a closet muslim , I have to wonder why he sent to the Marines to Tripoli to put and end to muslim piracy?  If Obama were POTUS then, he wouldn't have.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline olde north church

Good lesson, EC! :patriot: But if Jefferson were a closet muslim , I have to wonder why he sent to the Marines to Tripoli to put and end to muslim piracy?  If Obama were POTUS then, he wouldn't have.

Pirates were Shia.  Jefferson was a Sunni.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

:silly:

It was quid pro quo. Not just a thank you to the Morrocans - though that was a part of it - but an "In your face" to the Royal Navy and a securing of safe trade routes for American hulls. At least two of the founders were active in shipping (I know full well that Hancock was a smuggler on an industrial scale) so it made sense to secure the routes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf