Author Topic: Poll: Americans don't really care that much about income inequality  (Read 636 times)

rangerrebew

Poll: Americans don’t really care that much about income inequality

Posted By Jamie Weinstein On 3:50 PM 01/23/2014 In | No Comments

President Obama and the Democrats have picked income inequality as their defining issue for the 2014 midterm elections, but a new poll suggests they should probably reconsider.

A Fox News poll of registered voters released Wednesday shows that only 12 percent Americans believe income inequality is the most important economic issue facing the country — a distant third behind jobs and employment at 40 percent, and government spending and the deficit at 36 percent.

When asked what they think of “some people making a lot more money than others,” 62 percent of respondents said that was fine with them because “that’s how our economy works.” Twenty-one percent said “it stinks,” but “the government should not get involved.” Only 13 percent indicated it both angered them and “the government should do something about it.”

Asked whether their friends and neighbors “resent people who make a lot of money,” 69 percent of respondents said “not much” or “not at all.” Only 5 percent indicated they had a “a great deal” of resentment for wealthy people. Seventeen percent indicated they had “some” resentment.

Fifty-six percent of Americans, however, agree with the president’s call to raise the minimum wage. Twenty-five percent say the minimum wage should stay as is, while 15 percent say there should be no minimum wage at all.

But President Obama doesn’t get high marks for how he has handled the issue of income inequality during his tenure in the White House. Fifty-two percent of respondents said they disapprove of the president’s handling of the issue, while only 39 percent expressed approval.

The poll, which surveyed 1,011 registered voters from Jan 19-21, has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

Follow Jamie on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/23/poll-americans-dont-really-care-that-much-about-income-inequality/

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Poll: Americans don't really care that much about income inequality
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:38 am »
I see someone making more than me, I wonder how, and it gives me something to shoot for, provided I am willing to do what they do.

I want everyone to succeed, me included, but I am not jealous of those who have earned their wealth or made better investment decisions than I have. All that can change overnight--for better or worse.

Start putting limits on doing well, or giving away what others have worked hard for, you remove any incentive to strive to do/be better.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 11:50:27 am »
I see someone making more than me, I wonder how, and it gives me something to shoot for, provided I am willing to do what they do.

I want everyone to succeed, me included, but I am not jealous of those who have earned their wealth or made better investment decisions than I have. All that can change overnight--for better or worse.

Start putting limits on doing well, or giving away what others have worked hard for, you remove any incentive to strive to do/be better.
The wife and I are doing pretty good financially right now (a lot of thanks to the wife), but there were times in my life I was deep in debt after losing jobs. Even when I had the jobs, I wasn't making a lot of money.
I had two close friends who because of their industrial skills i.e. welding made a lot more money than me, just a pencil pusher in an office. Yet they were always whining and complaining about people who had more than them.
They both ditched me when I started voting for Republicans.
As far as I know both are still arch Democrats hating people who rose a little higher in life than they did.
Which leads me to believe the person who said that Democrat politics are simply the politics of envy was 100% correct.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 06:58:44 pm »
The World Bank recently published an editorial paper lamenting the greatest wealth inequality on earth, in South Africa.  Horrors!

So I looked them up and sent printed letters to five or ten of the top executives pointing out the glaringly obvious silliness of their whine.

THE MOST EQUAL people on earth live on North Sentinel Island, in the Andaman Sea, off the coast  of India. Roughly five hundred of these primitive tribesmen have NOTHING!  They kill anyone who comes ashore there.  So I pointed out to the World Bank Bigwigs that  IF Sentinelians were all relocated to South Africa and planted in the ghetto there, their lives would improve immeasurably. They would have some access to clean water, food like they have never seen or tasted before, maybe some occasional modern medical care, and be introduced to books and pictures and videos that they never imagined before.   From the Most *Equal* to the Least *Equal* - BIG improvement!  Hello.

They didn't respond to me.  I wonder why.

Post Script:  All Democrats preach the sin of covetousness.  Covet the wealth of the rich.  See how much they have. It's SO unfair.  Take it from them that you may have it.  It's sinful. It's destructive.  It's Democrats, evil to the core.  Promoting abortion, homosexuality, covetousness, and condemning "right wing religious extremists" - like our Founding Fathers.  Loving Nature's God, as He is called in our Declaration of Independence, is the premier Commandment.  Democrats spit on it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:01:28 pm by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist