Author Topic: TV ratings: 'American Idol' leads the night as ABC, NBC grow  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Rapunzel

TV ratings: 'American Idol' leads the night as ABC, NBC grow
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:21:49 am »
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-tv-ratings-american-idol-modern-family-20140122,0,188632.story

TV ratings: 'American Idol' leads the night as ABC, NBC grow

By Ryan Faughnder

January 23, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

With a fresh round of auditions in Detroit, "American Idol" was again the top-rated show on the major networks Wednesday night and gave Fox a comfortable win, though as expected it fell from last week's premiere.

The Motor City visit, kicking off the second week of the show's 13th season, drew 13.2-million viewers on average, down 12% in total viewers from the season opener, according to preliminary figures from Nielsen. Among the advertiser-desired 18-to-49 age group, "Idol" earned a rating of 4.0, down 13% week to week; however, the number is a slight improvement on last Thursday night's episode.

Boasting Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick Jr. in the judges chairs, the veteran reality show is hoping to regain some viewers after taking a ratings slide last year.

The next highest-rated show was ABC's "Modern Family," up 9% from last week to a 3.5 in the key demographic. It drew 9.74-million viewers overall.

The entire ABC lineup improved week to week, with "The Middle" leading off up 22% among young adults and "Suburgatory" rising 13% from last week's premiere. The freshman Rebel Wilson comedy "Super Fun Night" and "Nashville" also posted gains.

NBC dramas also improved. "Revolution" increased its 18-to-49 rating by 15% from last week to a 1.5, followed by "Law & Order: SVU," up 29% from last week to a 1.8. The new Dick Wolf-produced 10 p.m. drama "Chicago P.D.," a spinoff from "Chicago Fire," grew 7% week to week for a demo rating of 1.6, tied with time-slot competition on CBS — a slipping episode of "CSI."

"CSI" lost 20% of its 18-to-49 rating from last week, after "Criminal Minds" posted a 2.2 rating, down slightly from a Wednesday ago.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: TV ratings: 'American Idol' leads the night as ABC, NBC grow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:24:24 am »
So far American Idol is the best I've ever seen it this year and 1 million % better than the disaster of last year.. there is a lot of chemistry with Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr... and both Urban and Connick are showing their light sides, I think Urban wanted to slit his throat most of the last season - this season he is clearly at ease and enjoying himself.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:32:17 am »
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2014/01/american_idol_2014_recap_detroit_auditions.html

'American Idol' 2014 recap: Detroit auditions deal best talent so far

on January 23, 2014 at 1:56 AM, updated January 23, 2014 at 2:01 AM

IDOL

The heavy hitters were hiding in Motown.

After a strong showing in its first episodes last week, “American Idol” turned up the talent in its Detroit show Wednesday night, handing out 40 golden tickets to some of the best voices we’ve heard so far.

The top two male vocals of the 2014 season rang out last night, along with a few great ladies near the Great Lakes.

Let’s discuss this all a little further.
HIGHLIGHTS (from best to worst)

Maurice Townsend, 26, from Grand Rapids, Mich.

Maurice, a father of four and minister of music at his church is one of those guys who brings a smile to your face with both his personality and incredible voice. If Maurice doesn’t make at least the top 24, I would be stunned. Singing “So High” by John Legend, Maurice was in complete control every second. It’s hard to believe it was an audition. This dude is a pro. And J-Lo held his baby!

Ryan Nisbett, 24, from Deckerville, Mich.

Ryan, a high-haired, hipster-looking art student has a voice that J-Lo said was “one of a kind.” And she was right — good lord, the voice on this guy. With high, pitch-perfect tones and fantastic control, Ryan belted out Sarah Mclachlan’s “Angel” and was incredible. And he says he had a cold, and he wouldn’t share Keith’s hand because he coughed into it. He’s polite, too! This guy’s the whole package.

Keri Lynn Roche, 24, from Detroit

Starting the day off with a golden ticket was Keri Lynn, a waitress who said her home city brethren are born with “grit” in their voices. Her voice had more of a rasp, and a beautifully controlled tone as she sang Imagine Dragons’ “Radioactive” and without her guitar, a clip of “I’d Rather Go Blind” by Etta James. Both were stellar, with very nice vibrato. Keri was one of the cooler female auditions we’ve seen so far. “I love your style,” J-Lo said. “It’s not typical.”

Jade Lathan, 20, from Monroe, Mich.

Jade sports a unique name with an even more unusual voice. With flowers in her hair and light, almost whistly catch at the end of some of her phrases, Jade sang an awesome version of Amy Winehouse’s “You know I'm No Good.” Her control and poise were both spot-on and the judges couldn’t say enough. “The whole package is right, it feels really good,” J-Lo said. Jade is one to watch.

David Oliver Willis, 22, Mount Dora, Fla.

David, who was cut in Las Vegas last year, had an audition that I didn’t want to end. His acoustic version of Alex Clare’s “Too Close” had great “tone and presence” to it, as J-Lo said, and was a reminder why he made it fairly far last year. It all seemed to come very easy to him — a natural talent.

Bryan Watt, 29, from Thomasville, Ga.

Bryan’s hair makes him look like James Vanderbeek — in a bad way — but with his voice and guitar playing, the guy is a star. Bryan gave an effortless, polished performance of Carrie Underwood’s “So Small” that left J-Lo speechless. “It was confident, patient and easy performance,” Harry said. Afterward, J-Lo said “I needed him to sing that song, that way, right now.”

Malaya Watson, 15, from Southfield, Mich.

Malaya, a precocious, metal-mouthed teen who plays the tuba in her marching band has been “blessed,” J-Lo said, with a pure, powerful voice. Singing, “Ain't No Way” by Aretha Franklin, it was clear that Malaya has a great gift, and the judges ate it up. “Thank you for doing so well,” Harry said.

Jena Asciutto, 17, from Farmington Hills, Mich

It wasn’t perfect, and Harry called Jena out on “doing something weird” with her tongue which she was singing, but Jena, whose been singing in a band since she was 12, has a big voice. The judges liked her overall, and with the right songs, she could blow people away. But Harry was right, with her tongue closing off certain sounds and giving her a sort of speech impediment. Jena will need to work on that.

Ethan Harris, 20, from Garrettsville, N.Y.

Ethan looks like an Osmond brother and is massive Keith Urban fan, which all would have been pretty weird if he didn’t have such a nice, natural singing voice. “You’ll Think of Me” by the only judge with an Australian accent was a nice cover for Ethan and the judges thought it was great.

NOTES

• We are three episodes in, and each show has been better than the last. And with the male auditions thus far, particularly Maurice and Ryan tonight, I have faith that the guys will not roll over and die like they did last season, leaving five girls in the Top 5 for the first time ever. Go dudes!

• The whole bit with Harry pretending to audition with a horrible version of “Star-Spangled Banner” and Keith judging, then signing an autograph on his angle was great. Where has Harry been all this time? We needed this comedy years ago!

• Did “Idol” really ask the trivia question: Which Detroit-based film did Jennifer Hudson win an Oscar for? “Dreamgirls” or “8 Mile”? Really, guys? Eminem is great and all, but that was a ridiculous question.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:34:28 am »
I had no idea Harry Connick, Jr. was such a comedian....... or Keith Urban (though I've heard both he and Nicole Kidman are hilarious when they throw parties in Nashville)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=666457

VIDEO: Watch a Nervous Harry Connick Jr. 'Audition' for AMERICAN IDOL (TV Content)

Watch below as a 'nervous' Harry musters up the courage to perform the 'Star-Spangled Banner' for Keith in his 'Idol' audition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AARX4qRBHfI&list=PL8x9Zx_hMDsYyC4H0ATLgbt_W9eo3VMg5

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:12:56 am »
I enjoy the show. My favorite so far is Maurice Townsend and a girl that was on tonight. I didn't catch her name, but she is black, 15, and had a bunch of ugly flowers in her hair. I like AI and The Voice. They are relaxing and it's fun to watch talent get better.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:49:00 am »
I enjoy the show. My favorite so far is Maurice Townsend and a girl that was on tonight. I didn't catch her name, but she is black, 15, and had a bunch of ugly flowers in her hair. I like AI and The Voice. They are relaxing and it's fun to watch talent get better.

The 15-year-old with the sparkly lips???    I really think so far this is the best start in a very long time...

I can't wait for The Voice to start up again, too.. going to be fun this season  - Massadjv's girl, Shakira is back and Miranda Lambert is teamed up with her (against my guy Blake)......

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:52:19 am »

The 15-year-old with the sparkly lips???    I really think so far this is the best start in a very long time...

I can't wait for The Voice to start up again, too.. going to be fun this season  - Massadjv's girl, Shakira is back and Miranda Lambert is teamed up with her (against my guy Blake)......

I didn't know that. I love Shakira. Is Christina leaving again? I think she does a good job, too.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:29 am »
I didn't know that. I love Shakira. Is Christina leaving again? I think she does a good job, too.

Shakira and Usher are back this season and Christina and Celo are sitting out........

BTW did you watch the new show after AI tonight - Rake - with Greg Kinnear?   I LOVED it!  Was laughing out loud in certain parts.

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 04:27:08 am »
Shakira and Usher are back this season and Christina and Celo are sitting out........

BTW did you watch the new show after AI tonight - Rake - with Greg Kinnear?   I LOVED it!  Was laughing out loud in certain parts.

No. I wanted to check it out, but forgot. Remind me next week. The ads looked good.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:37:03 am »
No. I wanted to check it out, but forgot. Remind me next week. The ads looked good.

It was very funny... he is a bad boy, divorced, bumbling attorney living with his best friend (could be a relative I'm not 100% certain), the friends wife and three kids - wife is a prosecutor - tonight the LAPD impounded his car for illegal parking and by the time he finished his case (which he won and ticked off the mayor and the PD in the process) when he went to get his car back they charged him $800 to get it back and told him where to find it parked.. when he found it they had crushed it........ oh and Greta was a guest on the show - she "interviewed" him for his case....

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:42:24 am »
Sounds good. I channel surfed most of the night. I watched Megyn, but then, a friend called, so missed most of her show. Joan Crawford is on TMC this month. I never liked her acting.