Author Topic: Huckabee on the “RINO” label: The Nazis devalued people too, you know  (Read 770 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/01/23/huckabee-on-the-rino-label-the-nazis-devalued-people-too-you-know/

Huckabee on the “RINO” label: The Nazis devalued people too, you know
posted at 6:41 pm on January 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’ve looked for a transcript but can’t find one so I’m forced to rely on HuffPo’s account of what he said. On the one hand, they’re a lefty news site, doubtless eager to put his quotes in the worst possible light. On the other hand, their reporter is Jon Ward, who used to work for the Daily Caller and is respected in the field. On the other other hand, the rhetoric sounds kind of Huck-ish, doesn’t it? With some pols, you can look at a quote that’s attributed to them and say, nah, no way. With Huck, you never know when a curveball’s coming. And this subject, the perils of the “RINO” label, has been on his mind lately.

Has it come to this?
    “Let’s stop calling each other somehow less Republican than someone else. Be for the person you’re for,” Huckabee said.

He said that he will be traveling to Auschwitz next week for the anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camp, and noted that the horror of the Holocaust began with the devaluation of people.

“It all started when people were devalued, when people were deemed ‘less than someone else,’” Huckabee said. “We look back on that time in history and we think, ‘How can educated people, university trained, how can a nation like Germany with all of its resources, with its vast level of its population with higher education, get to a place where they can do something so heinous?’ You realize that the only way you can end up there is when you start with the idea that people just aren’t as valuable as you are.”

The clear implication by Huckabee was that those within the GOP who make a habit of demeaning others as not conservative enough are flirting with behavior that can have grave ramifications down the road. It was a serious charge…

“And if I accept that for the great human family, and I’m willing to value every human life as having worth and intrinsic value, then surely I’ll be able to value the life of those who voluntarily join me in a party that I joined when I was a teenager,” he said.

Ward was challenged on his description on Twitter. Here’s his rough transcript of what Huck said:

Assuming that’s accurate, he’s saying … what? That the path to Auschwitz runs through calling him a RINO? No, c’mon. All he’s saying, I think, is that using purity tests to “devalue” others is harmful and apt to lead to purges, whether at a silly trivial level like “RINO” or a grand sinister one like calling Jews “vermin.” He’s not equating the two. Which is fine, except that all political self-identification is inherently exclusionary. If you support single-payer and abortion on demand and call yourself “Republican,” you’re apt to catch some flak — including from Mike Huckabee, I’d bet. The best you can do to redeem his argument is say that ultimately he’s calling for more civility: When you shoo a liberal out of the party, there’s no need to demean him by slapping a pejorative neologism on him. Call him what he is, a liberal Democrat. (For example: “Mike Huckabee, liberal Democrat.”) Okay, but that’s an awfully basic point to require illumination with a Nazi analogy.

In fact, if he’s going to do that, why not use Nazi analogies to discourage all bad practices? E.g., “My three-year-old lied to me about sneaking a cookie from the cookie jar last night, so I reminded her that Hitler told many Big Lies en route to the Final Solution.” “My husband put a ‘Huckabee 2016′ bumper sticker on our car yesterday so I reminded him that Goebbels too used propaganda to hand power to a lunatic.” The punchline here is that Huck’s pushing this dumb anti-RINO campaign because he wants to get tea partiers and libertarians off his back if/when he runs again in 2016, but going Godwin on them just means they’re going to be more antagonistic. Imagine the historical lessons they’ll have for him about the perils of, say, supporting bigger government to “do good.”

Exit question: Second look at Rick Santorum as designated social-con champion in 2016?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

No Huckabee, no Santorum, no has-beens.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Turner Classic Movies had the Huckster’s life story on earlier this week – Elmer Gantry.

bw222 on January 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Charlespg

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/01/23/huckabee-on-the-rino-label-the-nazis-devalued-people-too-you-know/

Huckabee on the “RINO” label: The Nazis devalued people too, you know
posted at 6:41 pm on January 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’ve looked for a transcript but can’t find one so I’m forced to rely on HuffPo’s account of what he said. On the one hand, they’re a lefty news site, doubtless eager to put his quotes in the worst possible light. On the other hand, their reporter is Jon Ward, who used to work for the Daily Caller and is respected in the field. On the other other hand, the rhetoric sounds kind of Huck-ish, doesn’t it? With some pols, you can look at a quote that’s attributed to them and say, nah, no way. With Huck, you never know when a curveball’s coming. And this subject, the perils of the “RINO” label, has been on his mind lately.

Has it come to this?
Ward was challenged on his description on Twitter. Here’s his rough transcript of what Huck said:

Assuming that’s accurate, he’s saying … what? That the path to Auschwitz runs through calling him a RINO? No, c’mon. All he’s saying, I think, is that using purity tests to “devalue” others is harmful and apt to lead to purges, whether at a silly trivial level like “RINO” or a grand sinister one like calling Jews “vermin.” He’s not equating the two. Which is fine, except that all political self-identification is inherently exclusionary. If you support single-payer and abortion on demand and call yourself “Republican,” you’re apt to catch some flak — including from Mike Huckabee, I’d bet. The best you can do to redeem his argument is say that ultimately he’s calling for more civility: When you shoo a liberal out of the party, there’s no need to demean him by slapping a pejorative neologism on him. Call him what he is, a liberal Democrat. (For example: “Mike Huckabee, liberal Democrat.”) Okay, but that’s an awfully basic point to require illumination with a Nazi analogy.

In fact, if he’s going to do that, why not use Nazi analogies to discourage all bad practices? E.g., “My three-year-old lied to me about sneaking a cookie from the cookie jar last night, so I reminded her that Hitler told many Big Lies en route to the Final Solution.” “My husband put a ‘Huckabee 2016′ bumper sticker on our car yesterday so I reminded him that Goebbels too used propaganda to hand power to a lunatic.” The punchline here is that Huck’s pushing this dumb anti-RINO campaign because he wants to get tea partiers and libertarians off his back if/when he runs again in 2016, but going Godwin on them just means they’re going to be more antagonistic. Imagine the historical lessons they’ll have for him about the perils of, say, supporting bigger government to “do good.”

Exit question: Second look at Rick Santorum as designated social-con champion in 2016?
what a  dammed load of codswallop...if I think somebodies a Rino I will say so..and going on about
 Auschwitz and Nazi analogies is trivializing the Holocaust

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:04:28 am by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Rapunzel

Typical Huckabee crap, charles.. sadly I think he thinks he has a chance if he runs for President in 16.

Offline happyg

What I got from it is Huck is projecting. He is saying we aren't as good as he is because we "devalue rinos". I don't consider myself devaluing them, but do not agree with them. Huck thinks we should accept all of them as they are. We did that, and look what we got.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Godwin's Law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

As a(…) discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

He doesn't know the difference between a personal attack (or "devaluation") and criticism of one's political viewpoint?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
RINOs don't like being called RINO any more that liberals like being called liberal. They don't like it when the TRUTH is revealed!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Charlespg

He doesn't know the difference between a personal attack (or "devaluation") and criticism of one's political viewpoint?
no he does not  **nononono*
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Huckabee on the “RINO” label: The Nazis devalued people too, you know
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:52 pm »
Glenn Beck - who doesn't like Huckabee any more than a lot of us on here - actually set this story straight today on his program.   The CNN ladies who rushed out to tweet spun it the Democrats way and ignored the entire comment Huck made - his comments were not that women are dependent on "uncle sugar" he said the Democratic party would have people think women are weak and dependent on uncle sugar when in fact they are anything but what the Democrats think they are.    There was more in the analysis, but I had to take a shower and missed it.  Beck said he is dedicated to telling the truth about these things regardless of his personal feelings about the person involved in these stories - it is what he is dedicated to on The Blaze "let the chips fall where they may regardless of the side of the aisle" - which is why I like his network - but I digress... bottom line, Huck didn't denigrate women yesterday. he actually paid them a compliment.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:37 pm »
They're certainly launching "the politics of destruction" on potential Republican presidential candidates particularly early this time around, aren't they?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 09:38:49 pm »
They're certainly launching "the politics of destruction" on potential Republican presidential candidates particularly early this time around, aren't they?
It's the full court press against anyone they deem a threat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:17 pm »
The Blaze obtained the actual tape and  Loesch just played it on her program.. again stating she (too) is not a Huck fan, but the tweets from Dana Bash at CNN (and another female reporter) has gone viral and they are trying at The Blaze to correct the actual record.