Author Topic: Dinesh D'Souza indicted for violating U.S. election law  (Read 850 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dinesh D'Souza indicted for violating U.S. election law
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/23/us-usa-politics-dsouza-idUSBREA0M22W20140123

Dinesh D'Souza indicted for violating U.S. election law

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:04pm EST

(Reuters) - Dinesh D'Souza, a conservative commentator and best-selling author, has been indicted by a federal grand jury for arranging excessive campaign contributions to a candidate for the U.S. Senate.

According to an indictment made public on Thursday in federal court in Manhattan, D'Souza around August 2012 reimbursed people who he had directed to contribute $20,000 to the candidate's campaign. The candidate was not named in the indictment.

Attempts to reach D'Souza and a lawyer representing him were unsuccessful.

D'Souza was charged in the indictment with one count of making illegal contributions in the names of others, and one count of causing false statements to be made.

Federal law in 2012 limited primary and general election campaign contributions to $2,500 each, for a total of $5,000, from any individual to any one candidate.

"As we have long said, this Office and the FBI take a zero tolerance approach to corruption of the electoral process," the U.S. Attorney for Manhattan, Preet Bharara, said in a statement released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Bharara is an Obama appointee.

Born in Mumbai, India, D'Souza, 52, is a former policy adviser to President Ronald Reagan, and has been affiliated with conservative organizations such as the American Enterprise Institute and the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

He also directed a 2012 film critical of President Barack Obama, "2016: Obama's America," and has written books including "The End of Racism," "Life After Death: The Evidence" and "Obama's America: Unmaking the American Dream."

D'Souza campaigned in 2012 on behalf of Wendy Long, a lawyer and Republican who sought to unseat Democratic incumbent Kirsten Gillibrand as New York's junior senator. Long graduated from Dartmouth College in 1982, a year before D'Souza.

Long could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Gillibrand, herself a 1988 Dartmouth graduate, ended up winning re-election to her first full term, collecting close to 72 percent of the vote.

In late 2012, D'Souza resigned his post as president of King's College, a small Christian college in New York City, after admitting he had become engaged to a woman even though he was legally married, though separated from his wife. He has been an outspoken defender of traditional marriage.

The case is U.S. v. D'Souza, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 14-cr-00034.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Dinesh D'Souza indicted for violating U.S. election law
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:31 am »
Another political hit by the Department of Injustice.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:47:35 am »
Another political hit by the Department of Injustice.

Yep.

This is tyrrany.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:01:14 am by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:55:44 am »
Wow..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:05 am »
He also directed a 2012 film critical of President Barack Obama, "2016: Obama's America," and has written books including "The End of Racism," "Life After Death: The Evidence" and "Obama's America: Unmaking the American Dream."
He also wrote What's So Great about Christianity, Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader, Life After Death: The Evidence, What's So Great About America and several others.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:00:56 pm »
He's a smart guy. Very smart, so I find it difficult to believe he'd actually be dumb enough to do this in such a cack handed way. There are so many legal ways of funneling excess cash to candidates that this method is just totally stupid.

Still - if he did in fact do it, yes, he should be punished.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:03:06 pm »
There is NOTHING this administration won't do to punish anyone who speaks out against them! NOTHING!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:07:17 pm »
He's a smart guy. Very smart, so I find it difficult to believe he'd actually be dumb enough to do this in such a cack handed way. There are so many legal ways of funneling excess cash to candidates that this method is just totally stupid.

Still - if he did in fact do it, yes, he should be punished.

They know that they have no hope of winning this but will force Dinesh to spend untold amounts of money defending himself for no reason other than they don't like what he has to say!

It's COMPLETELY unAmerican!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Millee

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 04:17:45 pm »
"After we win this election, it’s our turn. Payback time.” - Valerie Jarrett

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:05:14 pm »
"After we win this election, it’s our turn. Payback time.” - Valerie Jarrett
Lather, rinse and repeat.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org