Author Topic: McDonnell Supporters Not Donating to Legal Defense Fund  (Read 590 times)

Offline Rapunzel

McDonnell Supporters Not Donating to Legal Defense Fund
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:20 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/23/McDonnell-Supporters-Not-Donating-to-Legal-Defense-Fund

McDonnell Supporters Not Donating to Legal Defense Fund

by Tony Lee 23 Jan 2014, 11:26 AM PDT

Virginians--especially lawmakers--are not putting their money where their mouths are when it comes to donating to former Virginia Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell's legal defense fund.

As of Wednesday morning, McDonnell's legal defense fund has about $2,996 in contributions from 35 donors. The donations range from $1 to $1,000 and are insufficient to cover his lawyer fees for even a day.

The Restoration Fund declared that it is dedicated to "Preserving Governor McDonnell's Legacy" and was reportedly "established in July to bankroll the governor’s legal team," according to The Washington Post.

On Tuesday, McDonnell and his wife were indicted on 14 felony counts related to public corruption. McDonnell claimed he did nothing illegal, but he and his wife face maximum prison sentences of 80 years if convicted on all the charges, in addition to at least $1.25 million in fines.

The fund sent out an e-mail after McDonnell's indictment on Tuesday that said, "Earlier this evening Governor Bob McDonnell held an open press event to provide his first public remarks regarding today’s wrongful federal indictment against a man who has served his nation and the Commonwealth with distinction for his entire adult life."

As the Post notes, Republican politicians in Virginia expressed that they deemed the case to be "a little bit of an overreach by the federal government" and that they did not "see the criminal act at this point."

But Virginia State Sen. Charles J. Colgan, Sr. (D-Prince William), reflecting the sentiment of nearly all the lawmakers, may have said it best when he said he had just not gotten around to donating to the fund. “I was going to give him something,” he said.

After a judge denied a request from McDonnell's lawyers to delay his arraignment because one of his lawyers was out of the country, McDonnell will appear in federal court in Richmond and be arraigned Friday.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

Re: McDonnell Supporters Not Donating to Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:02 am »
as a politician, how crooked can he be if he is broke. Seems to me he is small fry considering some other possible targets in washington

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:19:07 am »
as a politician, how crooked can he be if he is broke. Seems to me he is small fry considering some other possible targets in washington

Looks like his wife liked to spend on nice things... also an article yesterday said they were greedy wanting money now instead of later (aka when he left office at the end of his term when the "payoffs" would come)
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:33:48 am »
[[ McDonnell Supporters Not Donating to Legal Defense Fund... ]]

Sounds like the guv'na "persuaded" 'em to "donate" all they were goin' to donate while he -was- "the guv'na"....

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:42:57 am »
Looks like his wife liked to spend on nice things... also an article yesterday said they were greedy wanting money now instead of later (aka when he left office at the end of his term when the "payoffs" would come)

The amount of money they are going down for is paltry. A dress, a ride in a Ferrari, a 50K loan...what a joke. No matter how you cut it, it's small potatoes. Not only are they small thinkers, they must be stupid also.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:30 am »
The amount of money they are going down for is paltry. A dress, a ride in a Ferrari, a 50K loan...what a joke. No matter how you cut it, it's small potatoes. Not only are they small thinkers, they must be stupid also.

I don't disagree... especially since they are Republicans..  When is the stupid party going to ever learn.

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:40 am »

If it was me, I would sell some of my things. They got into this mess by themselves, and need to get out the same way they got in. They are self-absorbed parasites, and I have no pity on them, or the other freeloaders in politics who do the same thing.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:39 am »
I don't disagree... especially since they are Republicans..  When is the stupid party going to ever learn.

A bigger question for me  is why anyone is even bothering with it? The must have ticked off the wrong people. To me the offense is so chickens*** it isn't even worth bothering with it. As far as the potential penalties, they don't even treat murderers like that these days, The whole thing is goofy