Author Topic: Cantor promises abortion vote next week  (Read 661 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cantor promises abortion vote next week
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:49 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/healthcare/196131-cantor-promises-abortion-vote-next-week

January 22, 2014, 02:35 pm
Cantor promises abortion vote next week

By Pete Kasperowicz

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) on Wednesday said the House would vote next week on legislation that would ban the use of taxpayer funds for abortion.

"I am also proud to announce that next week, the House will vote once and for all to end taxpayer funding for abortions," Cantor told the March for Life rally in Washington today. That rally was held by abortion opponents to mark the 41st anniversary of the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision.

"The No Taxpayer Funds for Abortion Act, written by our good friend and colleague Chris Smith [R-N.J.], will respect the morals and consciences of millions of Americans — and ultimately will save lives."

Smith's bill, H.R. 7, introduced last May, would enact a permanent ban on taxpayer funds being used for abortion services that is typically renewed each year. The Hyde Amendment has been included as a rider annually for more than three decades.

But Republicans have argued that public funding for groups like Planned Parenthood also helps subsidize abortion, even though that group is required to ensure that no public money is used for that purpose. When Smith introduced his bill, he said several studies show that abortion is reduced when public funds for the procedure dry up.

Smith's bill goes further than banning taxpayer funds for abortions. It would also eliminate a tax deduction for medical expenses related to abortion and a tax credit for buying a health plan that covers abortion, and also end a small-business deduction for health plans that cover abortion.

The House passed a similar bill in 2011, which led to Democratic complaints that the bill went too far by including these tax provisions.

"For the first time, this bill places restrictions on how women with private insurance can spend their private dollars in purchasing health insurance," Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said. "This bill will deny tax credits for women who buy the type of health insurance that they currently have, health insurance that covers a full range of reproductive care."

In his speech Wednesday, Cantor acknowledged that it would be a "tougher task" to get the bill passed in the Senate.

"But I can make you this promise: The people's House will stand for life," he said. "We will do everything in our power to make sure that our values and the sanctity of life are reflected in the law of the land."

The House passed a late-term abortion ban last summer; six Democrats voted for it, and six Republicans voted against it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Cantor promises abortion vote next week
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:13:53 pm »
I'll put good money down now that it never passes.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Cantor promises abortion vote next week
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:05:00 am »
I'll put good money down now that it never passes.
I'll take that bet for a $20 donation to the Briefingroom that the House passes it.  If you're saying the Senate won't pass it then I'd decline the bet, but the House passed a similar bill in 2011 and 6 rats joined us in a late term abortion ban last year.  So what has changed that would prevent the House from doing it again?

It's a smart unity vote it will be agreed to by the vast majority of Republicans and we will peal off some rats too.  The more rats we peal off the better gauge we have of rat re-election fear. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:19:11 am by Once-Ler »