Author Topic: Wendy Davis Gave Up Custody of Youngest Daughter in 2005 Divorce  (Read 691 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/22/Wendy-Davis-Gave-Up-Custody-of-Youngest-Daughter-in-2005-Divorce

by Michael Patrick Leahy 22 Jan 2014, 10:17 AM PDT

It's one of the most striking details in Texas State Senator Wendy Davis's life uncovered by Dallas Morning News reporter Wayne Slater: in 2005, Davis, apparently eager to advance her career, relinquished custody of not just her child with her second husband, Jeffry Davis, but also her first child from another marriage.

"It's not a good time for me right now” Davis said at the time, explaining her decision, according to Jeffry Davis.

Wendy Davis's first daughter Amber, born during her first marriage to Frank Underwood, was 23 at the time – an adult. Her daughter with Jeffry, Dru, was 17.

The Tarrant County Court granted the divorce on November 15, 2005, giving Jeffry Davis "the exclusive right to designate the primary residence" of Dru.

Wendy Davis was given weekend visitation rights and required to pay $1,200 per month in child support to her ex-husband.

In some press reports, Senator Davis appears to have been relieved, even eager, to relinquish her parental obligations. Jeffry Davis told  Slater "[ s ]he did the right thing," in agreeing to the divorce decree that granted him custody.  He added that in their discussions prior to finalizing the arrangement (court records state they participated in a mediation process), "She said, 'I think you’re right; you’ll make a good, nurturing father. While I've been a good mother, it's not a good time for me right now.' "

The blended family had begun on a happier note in May 1987 when Wendy, 24 at the time, and Jeffry, 37 at the time, had married. Amber, who was then 5, lived with the newly married couple, and from the beginning, her step-father raised her as his own. Jeffry Davis “considers Amber his daughter” the Houston Chronicle reported in September 2013, quoting him saying “she's been with me since she was two” – around the time Wendy Davis's first marriage ended.

The two began dating in Fort Worth in 1984 when Wendy Davis's father asked Jeffry Davis – who is about 13 years older than Wendy, if he was interested in younger women.

Jeffry Davis was a successful and established professional. Armed with an undergraduate degree from Princeton and a law degree from Southern Methodist University, he started Republic Title of Texas, a real estate title company that was on its way to becoming the most successful commercial real estate title company in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Wendy Davis, then a brunette, had been working as a pediatrician's assistant and waitressing at night. 

One year and four months after they were married in 1987, the couple brought daughter Dru into the world. Amber was 6.

Two years later, Wendy Davis applied and was accepted to Harvard University Law School. She left for Boston while Jeffry stayed in Texas.

The Chronicle reported "[ s ]he took the girls with her at first, but the balancing act proved difficult, and they came back home to live with Jeff."

Wendy graduated from Harvard Law School in 1993 and returned to Fort Worth, where she clerked for a federal judge, ran unsuccessfully for the Wichita City Council in 1996, and worked for a local legal firm. In 1998, she was finally elected to the Wichita City Council. During that period, she also changed her hair color to blonde.

According to Jeffrey Davis, Wendy Davis left him the day after he finished paying for her education. “I made the last payment, and it was the next day she left,” Jeffry Davis said. Wendy Davis didn't deny the timing, although she suggested the break was long-coming. “The idea that suddenly there was this instantaneous departure after Jeff had partnered so beautifully with me in putting me through school is just absurd,” she said.

It was a difficult time for her children, whom she also left behind. Dru had just turned 15 and Amber was 21. As the Chronicle reported, "Dru, in ninth grade, stayed with him when Wendy left, [ex-husband Jeffry Davis] said. Amber, who was attending college, moved back with them."

Jeffry told the Chronicle "I think she had a midlife crisis. She wanted to be around a younger crowd."

In March 2004, Wendy Davis filed for divorce with a flurry of legal documents.

In May 2005, Jeffrey Davis filed a counterpetition alleging Wendy Davis had cheated on him.

Six months later, on November 15, 2005, the court accepted the agreed divorce decree, and the Davis's now 17 year old daughter Dru remained in the custody of her father. The final decree listed both Wendy Davis and Jeffry Davis as employees of Jeffry's company, Republic Title of Texas. As part of the financial agreement, Jeffry sold the company and gave half the proceeds to Wendy.

Image source: Houston Chronicle
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:26:05 pm by mountaineer »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Wendy Davis Gave Up Custody of Youngest Daughter in 2005 Divorce
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:43 pm »
How unfortunate for her children to have been born to her.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:50 pm »
How unfortunate for her children to have been born to her.

But fortunate to have a stepfather and father who did care for their wellbeing........ she sounds like my mother....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:18:46 am »
Most of the Texas media is in either full damage control mode, or simply ignoring the story.

The Houston Comical's (Chronicle) headline is "Politics Behind this Davis Controversy."

Too bad for them that you cannot unring a bell.  It's out there and there is no way she can spin her way out of it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:41:00 am »
Most of the Texas media is in either full damage control mode, or simply ignoring the story.

The Houston Comical's (Chronicle) headline is "Politics Behind this Davis Controversy."

Too bad for them that you cannot unring a bell.  It's out there and there is no way she can spin her way out of it.

Can you imagine if a Republican had done this..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:50:03 am »
Actually, she can spin it to her advantage very easily.

A young woman, newly qualified and earning little, sacrifices her one joy - her children - to give them a better life than she can provide.

I could write the screenplay in an afternoon.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:54 am »
Actually, she can spin it to her advantage very easily.

A young woman, newly qualified and earning little, sacrifices her one joy - her children - to give them a better life than she can provide.

I could write the screenplay in an afternoon.

She filed for divorce the day after her last law school payment was cashed.  It's going to be tough to make this an issue in Texas that spins positively for Abortion Barbie.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:19 am »
She filed for divorce the day after her last law school payment was cashed.  It's going to be tough to make this an issue in Texas that spins positively for Abortion Barbie.

Nah - simple. A marriage slowly going down hill, especially with the strain of being apart, away from an increasingly distant husband and her loved children.

Slow cut to the bathroom, her simply staring at her reflection in the mirror. She shakes her head once.

"I can't do this any more."

Rises, scoops up her purse on the way out, divorce papers peeking out through the clasp.

:laugh: I do this for a living  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink