Author Topic: Third-ranking House Republican backs legal status for immigrants  (Read 2580 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/196097-third-ranking-house-republican-backs-legal-status-for-people-in-country

By Russell Berman - 01/22/14 10:28 AM EST

The third-ranking House Republican, Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), said he backs granting legal status — but not a new pathway to citizenship — to millions of immigrants in the U.S. illegally.

McCarthy stated his personal view on the contentious issue in an interview with KBAK/KBFX Eyewitness News in his hometown of Bakersfield, Calif. He signaled that the call for a provisional legal status would be included in the immigration reform principles that House Republican leaders are soon to release.

"The principles aren't written yet, but in my personal belief I think it'll go with legal status that will allow you to work and pay taxes," McCarthy said.

McCarthy made clear that he did not favor carving out a new path to citizenship for the estimated 11 million people in the country illegally. But his position appears to comport with the views of other senior Republicans who have called for illegal immigrants to have access to the existing route to citizenship once they receive an initial legal status and fulfill other requirements.

McCarthy has in the past suggested he could support legal status for some undocumented immigrants, but the timing of his statement is significant coming before the release of principles from top House Republicans.

That system is unlikely to lead to citizenship for many of the 11 million undocumented immigrants, and it is unclear whether Democrats would back such a compromise.

The House GOP principles could be released before President Obama’s State of the Union address on Jan. 28 or at the House Republican Conference’s subsequent retreat in Cambridge, Md.

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other top Republicans have said the House would pursue a step-by-step approach to immigration reform rather than the comprehensive bill the Senate passed last year.

Immigration advocates have targeted McCarthy, whose district includes a large Hispanic population.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Third-ranking House Republican backs legal status for immigrants
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »
He's Hispandering? Color me surprised.

Seriously - why are the Repubs so bloody stupid?

Where is the consistent message that the Dems own this mess? Reagan did an Amnesty for - what? - 3 million people in exchange for shutting the damned border. Not saying he was right, not saying he was wrong, but that was the deal.

The border is closed. So closed that any random idiot can drive a train through it while putting on a fireworks display and giving out free beers. The Dems own that. Make them own it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:32:08 pm »

Seriously - why are the Repubs so bloody stupid?

I used to think it was stupidity, now I'm convinced they're just complicit. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:47 pm »
This is a camels back breaker for me!

If the house passes anything that remotely resembles amnesty I'm done with the republican party once and for all!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »

I'm with you.

It's quite a stretch to believe that Republicans in that number, with the power they've managed to attain, are all stupid.

The Republican politicians that make this happen will be rewarded. They'll take theirs and 'eff the rest of us.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:24:23 pm »

If the house passes anything that remotely resembles amnesty I'm done with the republican party once and for all!

I am with you.  In the end, it will not matter anyway.  Pass amnesty and the GOP is finished with the new waves of democrat voters.  However, the GOP idiots and traitors who are complicit in the death of America should suffer immediate consequences for their travesty.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:58:23 pm »
The Democrats need amnesty to achieve their dream of taking Texas... Boehner is determined to help them.  BTW how is what McDonnell did in VS any different from what Congress is doing every day with K street?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:06 am »
]

The problem is if they get this .......................only one party rule from now on. It won't be ours. If illegals/immigrants/undocumenteddemocrats voted republican there would be a 20ft fence with gun turrets on the border by now.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:23 am »
The pro amnesty forces hammered McCarthy for the last 5 months

They gathered for week in front of his office

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/14/kevin-mccarthy-immigration-activists_n_3758889.html
Kevin McCarthy's District And Office Met With 1,500 Immigration Activists

They financed polls that show McCarthy's constituents want amnesty
http://americasvoice.org/blog/new-poll-voters-in-key-california-gop-districts-looking-for-leadership-on-immigration-reform/

and more protests
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-immigration-reform-california-20131107,0,6996289.story#axzz2jzV1Amfl
Immigration activists occupy congressman's Bakersfield office

They sent him a turkey for Thanksgiving

http://americasvoice.org/blog/immigrant-farmworkers-labor-leaders-and-immigration-advocates-to-the-republican-house-do-your-jobs-on-immigration/

Weeks later the brought him rubber duckies

http://storify.com/americasvoice/advocates-to-gop-whip-mccarthy-don-t-duck-and-hide

And more protests
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92563992@N02/sets/72157638571745823/

Then they sent him holiday cards

Dear House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy,

Happy Holidays!  My you and the rest of the GOP leadership has certainly had a busy year.  Between voting to repeal Obamacare forty-seven times to taking 209 paid days off to shutting down the government, you all must be exhausted.

Well, immigrants and their allies have had a busy year as well.  While you were busy…um, well, not doing much of anything, they’ve been working hard to make sure your holiday season is extra special this year.  As Americans light up their Christmas trees, decorate their homes with mistletoe and holly, or enjoy some of their favorite holiday foods and beverages by a warm cozy fire, we wanted to make sure no one forgets about the hard work that goes into making this season merry and bright.

We thought long and hard about what to get you this year, but we finally came up with the perfect gift: a handy fact sheetdetailing some of the hard work immigrants, U.S. workers, and their employers do every day to make the products that some Americans will enjoy with their families this holiday season.

With the Obama Administration continuing to bust deportation records, and no action from the House on immigration reform, the sad fact is that many American families are facing an empty chair at the table this year.  As you enjoy your holidays with your families, immigrants hands across this nation are working extra hard to ensure you enjoy every comfort from your sweet egg nog to a perfect ham ready to carve, while they work under the fear of being separated from their families.

Here’s what we need from you: call your buddy, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and let him know the votes exist on immigration reform and to go ahead and schedule a vote on immigration reform when you return in 2014.  And rest up.  Because the House must hold a vote on a path to citizenship for aspiring Americans in 2014.  We’ll keep working hard all through the holiday season and next year to make sure you do your jobs too.

We’ll be seeing you,

America’s Voice and United Farm Workers

The pro amnesty forces are mobilized and talking very loudly.
They have brought back two veterans of this war http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,127282.0.html

What have conservatives done to counter it.  Nothing except issue threats from organizations who "have lost all credibility."  Threats backed by the force of the Tea Party.  The same Tea Party that was silent during the shutdown.  The same force that couldn't stop the bi-partisan government opening CR, or the bi-partisan budget agreement, or the bi-partisan $1.1 Trillion spending bill. 

There has been a lot of bi-partisan support by the elected to be re-elected, and they are finding that being the least productive Congress in history just doesn't flow for their fundraising pitch.

The amnesty would have to be a bi-partisan bill to get enough votes, and that makes me wonder if this legislation could pass if the October shutdown hadn't sucked up all the political muscle of the right wing and if Obamacare had not kept Obama and the rats searching for a lasting legacy. 

Sometimes all the preparation in the world will not succeed if the timing isn't right.

I hope the pro-deport crowd isn't relying on Matt Hoskins, Jim Demint, and Matt Kibbe to do their work for them.  Those guys are more about the fundrising and not so good at the deliver stuff.  Oh you didn't know?  Your a** better call somebody. 

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/business-reform-employment-law/2014/01/21/id/548266
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday said it spent $52.7 million on lobbying in 2013, ramping up pressure for its top-priority legislative issues, including immigration reform and electing business-friendly candidates to Congress, two reports said Tuesday.

I bet they spend more in 2014

Man those phones, people who phone others, and send those emails, email senders!  The future of our Republic is at stake. 

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 12:49:58 pm »

I hope the pro-deport crowd isn't relying on Matt Hoskins, Jim Demint, and Matt Kibbe to do their work for them.  Those guys are more about the fundrising and not so good at the deliver stuff.  Oh you didn't know?  Your a** better call somebody. 

I bet they spend more in 2014

Man those phones, people who phone others, and send those emails, email senders!  The future of our Republic is at stake.

Pro-deport crowd?  Wow, did you learn that groovy debate trick from Obammy hisself???

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

Stupidity? NO.  Complicit? YES, hand in glove.

Offline Relic

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »
Stupidity? NO.  Complicit? YES, hand in glove.

I'm a realist, this is what I see.

On one side, you have the majority of one party, including most of the leadership, effectively all of the other party, the entire mainstream media, and an easily led, not too bright public.

On the other side, you have a handful of opposition politicians who have already been effectively branded as extremists. An echo chamber media structure, and people like us.

We're out gunned.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:08:43 pm »
We're out gunned.

You remind me of the (probably) apocryphal story of the meeting between the Swiss and German ministers before WW2.
The German Minister sneered at the Swiss one: "Your army is 200,000. I can have 400,000 men marching across the border in 72 hours. What could you do about that?"
The Swiss Minister shrugged. "We'd all shoot twice and then go home."

Sometimes it's not the amount of guns. It's the willingness to use them. Just ask George Washington.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
You remind me of the (probably) apocryphal story of the meeting between the Swiss and German ministers before WW2.
The German Minister sneered at the Swiss one: "Your army is 200,000. I can have 400,000 men marching across the border in 72 hours. What could you do about that?"

Sometimes it's not the amount of guns. It's the willingness to use them. Just ask George Washington.

Well said Bro! Well said indeed!

:beer:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:32:42 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 03:34:45 pm »

So if we all vote twice, we're in good shape?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »
So if we all vote twice, we're in good shape?

Please - we're not Democrats. Though there are plenty of conservatives in graveyards ....

Offline Relic

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:05 pm »
Please - we're not Democrats. Though there are plenty of conservatives in graveyards ....

When you have no representation, it's very difficult to feel positive, or to even feel there is a chance to make a change. The deck is stacked, and the Republicans are willingly helping the Democrats stack it further.

The America I knew is dead, they are simply carving the carcass now.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »
When you have no representation, it's very difficult to feel positive, or to even feel there is a chance to make a change. The deck is stacked, and the Republicans are willingly helping the Democrats stack it further.

I know, my friend. Why bother when the land you love is moribund, if not actually dead and stinking.

Your America is not dead. It still lives on in a handful of people, at least. You included - hey, you are here!

A man I very much admired and loved (my he rest in peace) told me something once.

He said "You can give all the orders you want. People will obey them for fear or for habit. A true leader will never do that. He leads by example. Doing a route march? You spend the entire march on your feet. Same gear. Spend some time talking to each person. Never show you are tired. Never show your feet hurt just as much as theirs. If you are going to lead, make them want to follow you into hell to tug the Devil's beard."

Not in Hell yet, but those gates look pretty intimidating right now.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:11:26 pm »

The enemy of thy friend is their  friend. So thy enemy of thy enemy is thy enemy.

Which means we need a leader we can all get behind that will win so overwhelmingly that they can overcome the Obama machine cheating with ACORN funded by US! And if that leader is not a certain person the independents will stay home and we have President Hillary. And then we will wail and complain about it and wonder how it happened.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 05:27:20 pm »
I know, my friend. Why bother when the land you love is moribund, if not actually dead and stinking.

Your America is not dead. It still lives on in a handful of people, at least. You included - hey, you are here!

A man I very much admired and loved (my he rest in peace) told me something once.

He said "You can give all the orders you want. People will obey them for fear or for habit. A true leader will never do that. He leads by example. Doing a route march? You spend the entire march on your feet. Same gear. Spend some time talking to each person. Never show you are tired. Never show your feet hurt just as much as theirs. If you are going to lead, make them want to follow you into hell to tug the Devil's beard."

Not in Hell yet, but those gates look pretty intimidating right now.

History is replete with victories by badly outnumbered forces who wanted something so badly that they would not be denied regardless of the odds!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:59 pm »
Pro-deport crowd?  Wow, did you learn that groovy debate trick from Obammy hisself???

Typical B.S. from that poster........ No one I know of has said a word about deporting... we just want the laws on the books actually enforced and the fence passed under Bush built......
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:37:14 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:34 pm »

Typical B.S. from that poster........ No one I know of has said a word about deporting... we just want the laws on the books actually enforced and the fence passed under Bush built......

You don't want illegals deported?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:58 pm »
You don't want illegals deported?

No. Never have wanted them rounded up in raids and deported. 

If they are caught crossing then they need to be sent back before they ever get a foothold........ if you ever actually bothered to read you would know that.  I want the laws on the books enforced - which includes not hiring illegals.  I want the fence that was funded under Bush built.  There is a reason Arizona has the lowest illegal immigration - the voters here passed laws making it very difficult for you to live in this state if you are here illegally. Those laws passed with 60% of legal Hispanics voting for those laws. It is a falacy that legal Hispanics want illegals given amnesty  - in fact they resent the fact they did it the right way and these people have come in illegally and are getting welfare and other benefits.   

Every time our government starts talking amnesty more Mexicans stream into the USA thinking they can get in on amnesty.  Amnesty increases illegals. 

Are you aware that right now the US Government is using OUR tax dollars to fly children of illegals into the USA from Latin countries?  This sort of puts the big lie to we can't expect them to go back and leave their kids... nope, they left their kids to come here illegally and we are paying to have their kids brought to them here in this country...

Did you know that our government made a deal with the Sinola drug cartel to allow them to bring drugs into this country unmolested as long as they agree to drop the dime on other drug cartels? 

Do you have a clue why the big companies want illegals to come into the USA and work for lower wages - putting more Americans out of work - when we already have 32% real unemployement in this country among our own citizens... they want them because the way OCare was written they can work them 40 hours or more a week, don't have to give them benefits or pay the fines to the government if they don't provide health insurance...  Amnesty is the final disaster for this country and all of our ways of life...   

Look at who the government just hired to take over programming for OCare - which is being paid for out of our tax dollars.  They hired a company who only hires foreign programmers for a much lower cost than American programers... so we are footing the bill for this companies owners, board, stock holders to get even richer and the jobs are going to foreigners because they will work cheap...   So much for this crap Obama is spewing about income equality, eh........ it's all baloney...... 

Since we seem to need farm workers (thought the drought is making this questionable) then return to the tried and formerly true bracero program.  The workers come here on a work visa signed out to the employer who is responsible for making certain they return to Mexico at the end of the season.. Their family stays in Mexico - he can send money home as he sees fit since under bracero the employers provide housing. 

If a person want to immigrate to the USA all countries are given equal opportunity and they have to have a trade we need in this country, an education and/or proof of financial ability to survive without welfare benefits...... every other country has this requirement - it's time we do the same and hold to it. 

and no amnesty... if they want citizenship and ability to vote, etc... return to Mexico and come here legally.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:00 am »

That proves it to me.  You'll write anything to argue.

I don't believe for a second you are fine with illegals invading our country as long as they don't get caught.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 01:46:09 pm »

If they are caught crossing then they need to be sent back before they ever get a foothold........ if you ever actually bothered to read you would know that.  I want the laws on the books enforced - which includes not hiring illegals.  I want the fence that was funded under Bush built.  There is a reason Arizona has the lowest illegal immigration - the voters here passed laws making it very difficult for you to live in this state if you are here illegally. Those laws passed with 60% of legal Hispanics voting for those laws. It is a falacy that legal Hispanics want illegals given amnesty  - in fact they resent the fact they did it the right way and these people have come in illegally and are getting welfare and other benefits.   

Every time our government starts talking amnesty more Mexicans stream into the USA thinking they can get in on amnesty.  Amnesty increases illegals. 

Are you aware that right now the US Government is using OUR tax dollars to fly children of illegals into the USA from Latin countries?  This sort of puts the big lie to we can't expect them to go back and leave their kids... nope, they left their kids to come here illegally and we are paying to have their kids brought to them here in this country...

Did you know that our government made a deal with the Sinola drug cartel to allow them to bring drugs into this country unmolested as long as they agree to drop the dime on other drug cartels? 

Do you have a clue why the big companies want illegals to come into the USA and work for lower wages - putting more Americans out of work - when we already have 32% real unemployement in this country among our own citizens... they want them because the way OCare was written they can work them 40 hours or more a week, don't have to give them benefits or pay the fines to the government if they don't provide health insurance...  Amnesty is the final disaster for this country and all of our ways of life...   

Look at who the government just hired to take over programming for OCare - which is being paid for out of our tax dollars.  They hired a company who only hires foreign programmers for a much lower cost than American programers... so we are footing the bill for this companies owners, board, stock holders to get even richer and the jobs are going to foreigners because they will work cheap...   So much for this crap Obama is spewing about income equality, eh........ it's all baloney...... 

Since we seem to need farm workers (thought the drought is making this questionable) then return to the tried and formerly true bracero program.  The workers come here on a work visa signed out to the employer who is responsible for making certain they return to Mexico at the end of the season.. Their family stays in Mexico - he can send money home as he sees fit since under bracero the employers provide housing. 

If a person want to immigrate to the USA all countries are given equal opportunity and they have to have a trade we need in this country, an education and/or proof of financial ability to survive without welfare benefits...... every other country has this requirement - it's time we do the same and hold to it. 

and no amnesty... if they want citizenship and ability to vote, etc... return to Mexico and come here legally.

I was going to put in my two cents but then I saw every point was done to perfection with a crisp $100 bill!