Author Topic: Approaching storm shutters government  (Read 1920 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Approaching storm shutters government
« on: January 21, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/administration/195957-approaching-storm-shutters-government

January 21, 2014, 09:11 am
Approaching storm shutters government

By Ben Goad

Federal agencies and offices are closed Tuesday, as a major snowstorm threatened to dump several inches of snow on the Washington area.

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) issued guidance on its website instructing all non-emergency workers to stay home.

Certain employees, however, are required to telework and, emergency employees are expected to report to work unless otherwise directed by their agencies, according to the OPM.

The storm is expected to reach Washington by mid-morning, bringing up to eight inches of snow, and is expected to be followed by a cold front predicted to plunge temperatures into the teens later this week. A winter storm warning is in effect for the area until 11 p.m.

Area schools were also closed, and scores of flights were grounded due to the storm.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: Approaching storm shutters government
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
Another blast of "global warming" coming to D.C.?  Is St. Algore going to be there to take advantage of the storm as an example of global warming? :tongue2:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »
I'm concerned about travel for those of us going to the March for Life in DC.

May God grant safety to all those involved.

(Including US!  :0001: )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »
I'm concerned about travel for those of us going to the March for Life in DC.

May God grant safety to all those involved.

(Including US!  :0001: )

Prayers for a safe and blessed trip musiclady!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:41 pm »
Safe travel....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »
We looked at the radar for the entire trip and, unfortunately, had to make the call to stay home.

I'm heart broken at missing the March, but our safety took precedence this time.

Praying that we can go next year.

Sigh.............

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:45:05 pm »
We looked at the radar for the entire trip and, unfortunately, had to make the call to stay home.

Don't worry, darlin'. God looketh upon the heart and recognizes both your desire to serve combined with your wise prudence given the circumstances.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »

Don't worry, darlin'. God looketh upon the heart and recognizes both your desire to serve combined with your wise prudence given the circumstances.

Thank you for the comforting words, friend.

Still caused a lot of tears (from me, not my husband!).  We've talked about going for years, and were finally going to get to be a part of this incredible event, and now won't get to until next year.

But we prayed for wisdom, and I trust we were obedient to what God wanted us to do.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »
Has Harry Reid blamed the Tea Party yet?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:41:11 pm »
Thank you for the comforting words, friend.

Still caused a lot of tears (from me, not my husband!).  We've talked about going for years, and were finally going to get to be a part of this incredible event, and now won't get to until next year.

But we prayed for wisdom, and I trust we were obedient to what God wanted us to do.

There is always next year. It's not like you ignore what He tells you to do - and if He tells you to stay home, there is a reason. Might be selfish - but I'd rather have you here and in one piece.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:49:52 pm »

I'm heart broken at missing the March, but our safety took precedence this time.

Sigh.............

How is the weather in your area? It was so nasty here, that all the schools were closed, including the city schools. Drifting is also a problem. I don't think you are the only one who will miss the rally.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:56:47 pm »
How is the weather in your area? It was so nasty here, that all the schools were closed, including the city schools. Drifting is also a problem. I don't think you are the only one who will miss the rally.

Did you neighbors take the little dog inside?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 12:00:11 am »

Sigh.............
Maybe there is a reason the good Lord wanted you to stay home? 

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 12:02:40 am »
Did you neighbors take the little dog inside?

I think so. There were no tracks to her pen, and she didn't come out when I called her name. One summer, the heat was over 100 degrees for a week, and they didn't move her. I put ice cubes in her water and a blanket over one portion of the fencing, so the sun wouldn't beat down on her. A friend takes in stray dogs, and she's been trying to find someone to 'take' her, literally.  :whistle:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:16 am »
There is always next year. It's not like you ignore what He tells you to do - and if He tells you to stay home, there is a reason. Might be selfish - but I'd rather have you here and in one piece.  :laugh:

:laugh:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 12:07:42 am »

We only got a little more snow, but it's really cold again.

Our schools were on a two hour delay, but I think they all opened up later.

Not a bad day at all here.

You guys have been getting nailed this winter, haven't you??

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:23 am »
Maybe there is a reason the good Lord wanted you to stay home? 

I guess so.

I believe that there's always a reason for what God does in our lives, and sometimes we don't find out right away.

Actually, as I have continued to watch the radar today, we would have been spending the last four hours or so in deep blue, so the usual 7 hour trip would probably have become 10 or more.

I'll be watching the coverage on EWTN to see how many braved the severe weather.  The wind chill tomorrow is going to be bitterly cold, so we need to pray for the health and well-being of the marchers!

Offline happyg

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:47 am »
We only got a little more snow, but it's really cold again.

Our schools were on a two hour delay, but I think they all opened up later.

Not a bad day at all here.

You guys have been getting nailed this winter, haven't you??

Yep! I bought a new snow blower. The one I had was too small to do a good job. This is the first year I needed a big one. I bundled up and did the driveway and walks. I was warm, except for my face that I felt like it was going to fall off. I hate the bitter cold stuff. I have face masks, but forgot about them.  **nononono*

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:15:05 am »
Yep! I bought a new snow blower. The one I had was too small to do a good job. This is the first year I needed a big one. I bundled up and did the driveway and walks. I was warm, except for my face that I felt like it was going to fall off. I hate the bitter cold stuff. I have face masks, but forgot about them.  **nononono*

Do you have a generator if your power goes out?

We lost power on Saturday night (for a while), and had to rely on a hot water pot on our gas stove and a fire in the fireplace.  We had a terrible ice storm in 2005 and said we were going to get a generator after that.

Oops!   :dx1:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:33 am »
If anyone here is interested........

http://reverseroeday.com/index.php?sid=TPG+A9KZzCEF

Americans United for Life is trying to raise $25,000 by tomorrow at midnight for their new "Women's Protection Project."

(We can add our not-used gas money to our donation!  ^-^)

Offline happyg

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 12:31:27 am »
Do you have a generator if your power goes out?

We lost power on Saturday night (for a while), and had to rely on a hot water pot on our gas stove and a fire in the fireplace.  We had a terrible ice storm in 2005 and said we were going to get a generator after that.

Oops!   :dx1:

Yes. I have a medium and a small one. I've never used it in the winter, yet.  My son lives right behind me (we share a back yard), so I would go to his house. He has a fire place and a large generator. I'm going to need a new furnace soon, and when I get one, I'm going to have a generator attached.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »
We got about 2" by yesterday morning so I went out to shovel the driveway. Even though the thermometer said 20 degrees, which isn't that cold, my hands were stinging and hurting in a way I'd never experienced before when I went back inside. This morning, there's no more snow but it's below zero.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »
We got about 2" by yesterday morning so I went out to shovel the driveway. Even though the thermometer said 20 degrees, which isn't that cold, my hands were stinging and hurting in a way I'd never experienced before when I went back inside. This morning, there's no more snow but it's below zero.  **nononono*

Part of the reason was the breeze, but as we get older, the cold hits us harder. Not saying you are old, but I am getting there.

Offline happyg

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »
If anyone here is interested........

http://reverseroeday.com/index.php?sid=TPG+A9KZzCEF

Americans United for Life is trying to raise $25,000 by tomorrow at midnight for their new "Women's Protection Project."

(We can add our not-used gas money to our donation!  ^-^)

The March for Life Rally will be shown live on CSPAN at 12 noon.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »
The March for Life Rally will be shown live on CSPAN at 12 noon.

Thanks, happy.

I'm watching on EWTN (even though we're not Catholic).  I love the enthusiasm for the pro-life movement, especially from young people.

A third of their generation has been murdered before birth.  These kids have lost a lot, and I'm thankful to see that some realize it.