Author Topic: Brains of older people are slower 'because they have stored up more information over time'  (Read 406 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Rapunzel

My latest health magazine came Saturday and had an article about this, I was going to scan it and then saw this tonight in the Daily Mail.  The health magazine went into a little more detail - for instance we need to do things that are not routine so the brain keeps firing on all cylinders and learning new things.  One thing that stood out was reading novels is actually a very good exercise for the brain... something we read a week or so ago about how school-aged children who read novels actually perform better in school (and yet Common Core is dropping novels for government documents  :shrug:).........  I'll try to scan and post the article I have tomorrow.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yes please!  :laugh:

I find memory fascinating. My dear aunt (she's a tad over 100 now!) tried to explain why she sometimes gets lost when we are talking on the phone. I'll say something and it triggers a whole bunch of memories and she has to sort through them to find the one she wants. Funny thing is, 5 minutes of talking together and, despite having lived in Canada since 1946, she's back to a broad Yorkshire accent  :laugh:

Often wondered if much of the problems we associate with dementia aren't simply someone wandering into their memoris and getting lost - like trying to clean out the attic. You keep finding things you had tucked away and forgotten. Take them out and look at them, give them a bit of a dust, and before you know it hours have gone by and the attic still isn't clean.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Yes please!  :laugh:

I find memory fascinating. My dear aunt (she's a tad over 100 now!) tried to explain why she sometimes gets lost when we are talking on the phone. I'll say something and it triggers a whole bunch of memories and she has to sort through them to find the one she wants. Funny thing is, 5 minutes of talking together and, despite having lived in Canada since 1946, she's back to a broad Yorkshire accent  :laugh:

Often wondered if much of the problems we associate with dementia aren't simply someone wandering into their memoris and getting lost - like trying to clean out the attic. You keep finding things you had tucked away and forgotten. Take them out and look at them, give them a bit of a dust, and before you know it hours have gone by and the attic still isn't clean.

It may not be so much a matter of getting lost because you stopped to dust something off, so much as not being able to find one's way back because the ability to convert short-term memory into long-term memory has become worn with age, resulting in older, well-defined memories being a lot stronger than new memories, strong enough to override them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf