Author Topic: A woman's thoughts on Lone Survivor. And a message to candy ass liberals.  (Read 2544 times)

rangerrebew

A woman’s thoughts on Lone Survivor. And a message to candy-ass liberals.

Written by Michele Hickford, Editor-in-Chief on January 19, 2014

I saw Lone Survivor today. I wept. I’m a female, I can do that sort of thing in public.

Here’s why I wept.

In the first few minutes of the film, watching the Navy SEALS train, I turned to my friends and said what a travesty it would be if the physical requirements were ever adjusted downwards to accommodate women – or anyone who could not meet them for that matter, regardless of gender or orientation. These men, these warriors, are elite for a reason. They are capable of doing things very few can. That’s the way we want and need them to be.

I wept for the mothers, wives, sisters, fathers, brothers and friends of the beautiful, strong and healthy warriors who gave everything to defend the freedoms of this nation, and of others they would never know.

I wept for the people of Afghanistan who are not supporters of the Taliban. Those who can only dream of a different life. Who even in the best of times must eke out their existence in the harshest of conditions. Who will never know the comfort and liberty we do. For the women who will never have the choices I have, and the freedom to chart their own course. Perhaps it is an accident of birth. In some respects, I felt that about Marcus Luttrell himself. It was an accident of fate that he survived and others did not. Such is life, and only God knows the plan for each of us.

But most of all, I wept in anger. I am overcome with rage at the elected politicians who have never served their country in uniform, never seen battle and yet make decisions that affect the life and death of their fellow citizens.

I am so angry that our rules of engagement, made in courtrooms by people whose personal agenda has nothing to do with victory, restrict the ability of our military to do the thing we send them into battle to do: fight.

I am disgusted that budgets for military equipment and training get shaved away and shaved away so much that lives are lost because we cannot adequately equip the men and women we send into the most terrifying situations.

I have no words to be spoken in polite company to express my frustration that this administration seems more focused on the sexual orientation of our warriors than their fighting readiness or following up on the promises made to them in their retirement.

I am however thankful this film was made, and somewhat surprised Hollywood allowed it. Pardon my candor, but I hope every candy-ass liberal can take a few minutes away from the exertions of Kanye West and Lady Gaga, look beyond themselves and their concern for polar bears and baby harp seals, and understand what real sacrifice, real pain, real effort and real honor truly is.

Read more at http://allenbwest.com/2014/01/womans-thoughts-lone-survivor-message-candy-ass-liberals/#LLoWX5cpcVcCqwfq.99

Offline Rapunzel

Excellent... as a note to her comment on congress... we have the lowest number of members serving in our congress who have never been in the military in our history. I think that is a bad precedent.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Okay....first let me say that I haven't seen it yet, but am planning on it.

My eldest son, 44, calls me on the cell phone and tells me that he saw the movie with Elias.  Elias is my eleven year-old grandson.

Now, as I said, I haven't seen it, but have heard enough and read enough to know that there is a little Afghanistan boy of about 10 who was the sujbect of a boisterous and angry debate on whether he be killed along with the other Taliban herders or what other options were available to the four SEALS.....so that they could get back to their families and own children, etc..

My son asks me, "Dad, what would you have done!"

NOTE:  When he asked the question, I hadn't known that he went with my grandson.   But honestly....that shouldn't have mattered.

I responded that unless they could tied the kid up with sufficient food  by himself....until his people found him, that I'd have to shoot him.

My son...a strapping Marlboro Man, went off on me.  He was out of control.

I said, My job is to make sure that my brothers get on the copter and get safely out of here.....so that we could go home to our wives, parents and children.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe I'll feel different after seeing the movie.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

The ten year old was the son of the Pashtun who saved Luttrell's life, the son actually helped save his life, too... the goat herders did not have a ten year old boy with them, all were old except one who was probably in his late teens - and it was he - younger and more agile - who actually alerted the Taliban they were there and sicked them on the Seals...  the Seals did not kill them because - frankly - they did not want to end up in Levanworth.  Would I have killed them -- would have been very tempted... at the very least I'd have made them climb that mountain with me and left them there when the rescue copter arrived. Why they didn't do that instead of letting them go is what bothered me.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

The ten year old was the son of the Pashtun who saved Luttrell's life, the son actually helped save his life, too... the goat herders did not have a ten year old boy with them, all were old except one who was probably in his late teens - and it was he - younger and more agile - who actually alerted the Taliban they were there and sicked them on the Seals...  the Seals did not kill them because - frankly - they did not want to end up in Levanworth.  Would I have killed them -- would have been very tempted... at the very least I'd have made them climb that mountain with me and left them there when the rescue copter arrived. Why they didn't do that instead of letting them go is what bothered me.

Perhaps it was thinking that as SEALS, they could "sprint" to the top, if necessary, and that these herders would slow them down?

Or, there mission would have been compromised if they held on to them too long.   Their people would come looking for them?

But it makes sense when Luttrell says "absolutely not.  You will never sleep another night in your lives!" that the little kid would save his life somehow.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Perhaps it was thinking that as SEALS, they could "sprint" to the top, if necessary, and that these herders would slow them down?

Or, there mission would have been compromised if they held on to them too long.   Their people would come looking for them?

But it makes sense when Luttrell says "absolutely not.  You will never sleep another night in your lives!" that the little kid would save his life somehow.

The little boy and his father were very, very brave. Especially when the Taliban entered their village and threatened everyone over Luttrell being there under their care.  It really pointed out the Taliban are the real bad guys......  which is why I cringe every time Obama and Kerry talk about being friends with them.

Take and afternoon and go see the movie, it is very powerful...

Offline olde north church

They would have been unable to tell tales.  We come as one, we leave as one.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
They would have been unable to tell tales.  We come as one, we leave as one.

Too EFFing right.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I responded that unless they could tied the kid up with sufficient food  by himself....until his people found him, that I'd have to shoot him.

I saw the movie and I agree. The men with the young man had a hand held walkie talkie radio. I would have tied the men and teen up but good and taken their radio. When they did not return to the terroroist base camp below the mountain  after a while; the terrorists would have went for them. By this time the SEALs could have made it out of range enough that they would not have been killed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:28:19 am by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
How can the MSM or any progressive say this movie is war propaganda is very, very sad. The MSM and progressives have gone way too far and they need to realize their views are not cared about, nor trusted anymore

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: A woman's thoughts on Lone Survivor. And a message to candy ass liberals.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:24 am »
I saw the movie and I agree. The men with the boy had a hand held walkie talkie radio. I would have tied the men and kid up but good and taken their radio. When they did not return to the terroroist base camp below the mountain a bit after a while the terrorists would have went for them. By this time the SEALs could have made it out of range enough that they would not have been killed.

I need to make a respectful disagreement.

You don't screw with goat herders. Ever.

They know the territory like the back of their hand and are usually crack shots as well. You shoot the sods and bury them deep.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:35 am »
Oh I agree, EC. Which brings us to the main point. There have been court-martials regarding the ROE's. The SEALs literally said they feared the court-martial. The one SEAL said what goes on there is their call, their lives.  They should not have had to hesitate in thought in killing them all immediately. One of the turbin headed goat herders could have had a chest bomb and they would not have blinked an eye at beheading the SEALs on the spot, if they were given the chance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:48:27 am by Gazoo »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:44:06 am »
I saw the movie and I agree. The men with the young man had a hand held walkie talkie radio. I would have tied the men and teen up but good and taken their radio. When they did not return to the terroroist base camp below the mountain  after a while; the terrorists would have went for them. By this time the SEALs could have made it out of range enough that they would not have been killed.

...but not necessarily safely off the mountain.   :shrug:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:02:56 am »
at the very least I'd have made them climb that mountain with me and left them there when the rescue copter arrived. Why they didn't do that instead of letting them go is what bothered me.

What I don't understand, and mayhap someone more knowledgeable than I can explain, is that if they decided to let them go why didn't they abort the mission as compromised?

And, EC, this raises certain images I really don't want to contemplate:

You don't screw with goat...herders

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 04:08:55 am »
at the very least I'd have made them climb that mountain with me and left them there when the rescue copter arrived. Why they didn't do that instead of letting them go is what bothered me.

What I don't understand, and mayhap someone more knowledgeable than I can explain, is that if they decided to let them go why didn't they abort the mission as compromised?

They did.  Their communications malfunctioned and they were only able to get one sat phone call out and then had to wait while the guy who answered the phone went and woke up the guy in charge and when he finally woke ip and go to the phone the line went dead an they could not get another call out...... you really need to see the movie to understand it all.....  it is intense....... very..... very intense... I think everyone should see it, the people who have been doing these negative reviews are jerks IMO...... and didn't see the movie.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 04:13:51 am »
They did.  Their communications malfunctioned and they were only able to get one sat phone call out and then had to wait while the guy who answered the phone went and woke up the guy in charge and when he finally woke ip and go to the phone the line went dead an they could not get another call out...... you really need to see the movie to understand it all.....  it is intense....... very..... very intense... I think everyone should see it, the people who have been doing these negative reviews are jerks IMO...... and didn't see the movie.

One thing my son noted was....."Pops!  You'd be amazed at the effing technology that they have....taking a picture of a face from five miles away and immediately copied to satellite confirming target is at location!  And you mean to tell me all they could provide was an effing walkie-talkie to communicate as their only way out?"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:14:48 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 04:18:37 am »
One thing my son noted was....."Pops!  You'd be amazed at the effing technology that they have....taking a picture of a face from five miles away and immediately copied to satellite confirming target is at location!  And you mean to tell me all they could provide was an effing walkie-talkie to communicate as their only way out?"

They did have more high tech communications - they all wear ear pieces and can hear each other swallow they are so sensitive.... however, they were in a position where it didn't work properly - the walkie talkie was a satellite phone and in the trees it couldn't make contact with the satellite - think you XM radio when you are under a big object........  it is why they needed to climb the mountain - two reasons - 1) for communications and 2) for a pick-up location....

BTW I knew they had to filmed this in the USA - and our military does a lot of Afghanistan training in Arizona and New Mexico - cure nuff they filmed this in the mountains outside Santa Fe, NM.,

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:19:08 am »

They did.  Their communications malfunctioned and they were only able to get one sat phone call out and then had to wait while the guy who answered the phone went and woke up the guy in charge and when he finally woke ip and go to the phone the line went dead an they could not get another call out.

Ok, ty.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:15 pm »
It is unfathomable the MSM call this movie war propaganda.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 03:16:10 pm »
Oh I agree, EC. Which brings us to the main point. There have been court-martials regarding the ROE's. The SEALs literally said they feared the court-martial. The one SEAL said what goes on there is their call, their lives.  They should not have had to hesitate in thought in killing them all immediately. One of the turbin headed goat herders could have had a chest bomb and they would not have blinked an eye at beheading the SEALs on the spot, if they were given the chance.

The RoE certainly didn't help, though losing coms was a far more serious problem. SEALS (and other special forces) should have exactly one RoE: Whatever is needed to get the job done. It's not as if they are used frequently, even during wartime. They are way too valuable to be squandered, considering only about 1 in 100 applicants are suitable for the task. So, when they are used, leave them to do the job without the chair warmers and the Peter'd brass getting in the way.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 03:31:38 pm »

One small correction here. Their communications equipment was NOT malfunctioning. The terrain they were in prevented effective communications with their base (there was dirt between them and their base and line of sight gear will not work under those conditions.) and the SAT phone only works if it can "see the sky" which is why Lt. Michael Murphy had to expose himself in order to use it.

No one knows how I hate to say this but the mission planning failed to take into account the dirt issue and plan for it.

now as to the question of what to do with the goat herders.  I will say that in my day the question would never have even arisen and leave it right there. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
The RoE certainly didn't help, though losing coms was a far more serious problem. SEALS (and other special forces) should have exactly one RoE: Whatever is needed to get the job done. It's not as if they are used frequently, even during wartime. They are way too valuable to be squandered, considering only about 1 in 100 applicants are suitable for the task. So, when they are used, leave them to do the job without the chair warmers and the Peter'd brass getting in the way.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

And in my day that is EXACTLY how it was!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 04:59:48 pm »
They are way too valuable to be squandered, considering only about 1 in 100 applicants are suitable for the task.

...which made the horrific helicopter crash in Afghanistan or Pakistan killing multiple members of SEAL TEAM 6 (who were involved in the supposed hit on OBL) even more hideous.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 05:09:27 pm »
They are way too valuable to be squandered, considering only about 1 in 100 applicants are suitable for the task.

...which made the horrific helicopter crash in Afghanistan or Pakistan killing multiple members of SEAL TEAM 6 (who were involved in the supposed hit on OBL) even more hideous.

They are unique. Accept that sometimes they won't make it out, but go in anyway. Tough SOB's. Usually good company, too.

Without going into details too much - who needs be on yet another watch list - I have picked some of them up, when half the pick up were limp and lifeless. Still brought them out, way overloaded and being hunted for by aircraft four times our speed. It was more than my life was worth to say no.
Can respect that. Do respect that.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 05:51:31 pm »
They are unique. Accept that sometimes they won't make it out, but go in anyway. Tough SOB's. Usually good company, too.

Without going into details too much - who needs be on yet another watch list - I have picked some of them up, when half the pick up were limp and lifeless. Still brought them out, way overloaded and being hunted for by aircraft four times our speed. It was more than my life was worth to say no.
Can respect that. Do respect that.

1. I'm way past the point of worrying about being on watch lists.

2. There are some of us out here who will never forget what folks like you and Edd (Too Tall) Freeman did for us when the chips were well and truly down!

- J. R. R. Tolkien