Author Topic: Downtown Detroit hit by massive sinkhole  (Read 754 times)

Offline flowers

Downtown Detroit hit by massive sinkhole
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/20/massive-sinkhole-opens-up-in-detroit/?intcmp=latestnews

Officials say it could take days to repair a massive sinkhole that has opened up in downtown Detroit.

The sinkhole, which opened up Saturday just blocks away from the North American International Auto Show, is now about 14 feet deep, WJBK reports.

Traffic in the area is being disrupted as crews work to fix the hole, which is 10 feet wide, according to WWJ-AM.

Ny first thought was..............how could they tell? My second thought was...gee I didn't know the obama's would be in town.   :smokin:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Downtown Detroit hit by massive sinkhole
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:15:18 pm »
I have heard the madrid fault line is causing sinkholes, others say fracking. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qNj1v98v4
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:15:46 pm »
Perfect simile, considering that Detroit has been the National Sinkhole since the Johnson Administration......

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:32:49 pm »
I have heard the madrid fault line is causing sinkholes, others say fracking. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qNj1v98v4

They are fracking in MI.......... but far north of Detroit - there is large natural gas concentrations all along the Great Lakes so we will likely see more fracking up there - though a lot of the usual suspects are trying to stop it.   Sink holes are not that uncommon around the nation - Florida seems to have them all the time...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
They finally noticed their budget deficit?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:53:33 pm »
There are salt mines under Detroit, large ones, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.  Maybe this was a message from above.  Did anyone check to see if Jimmie Hoffa was at the bottom of the hole before they filled it in? :silly:

Offline raml

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:21:32 am »
Actually salt mines have caused sinkholes in Missouri right in the city I live in so I imagine they can in Michigan too. I was hoping it was real large and Detroit would fall into it and money wouldn't have to be poured into the city anymore since it is just a waste of it. It is a stink hole in most area's of that once beautiful city anyway only the river front newer buildings are worth more than a dime in that city. I will never figure out why they kept on building some of them there it also was a waste of effort trying to save that dying city and we all knew it for the last 30 years. I left Michigan about that time and couldn't go alone driving in that city or over the city on the freeway even then.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:50 am »
Title:
"Downtown Detroit hit by massive sinkhole"

It wasn't quite "massive" enough -- because the city is still there!  :)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:06:20 am »
False alarm folks...the real headline was "Detroiter hit by Sink, Ho" and referenced the death of a pimp whose hooker killed him with a kitchen sink thrown from a fifth floor hotel window, and who fell out herself and hit him as well.....

That is all....

:beer:

Offline evadR

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:51:31 am »
False alarm folks...the real headline was "Detroiter hit by Sink, Ho" and referenced the death of a pimp whose hooker killed him with a kitchen sink thrown from a fifth floor hotel window, and who fell out herself and hit him as well.....

That is all....

:beer:
Not quite..
it was Sing Ho, leader of the Chinese Tongs.

Easy mistake to make.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.