Author Topic: Van Susteren Claims WH Source Told Her to Warn Fox Reporter to Back Off Benghazi  (Read 1242 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/01/18/Admin-Source-Told-Van-Susteren-To-Tell-Colleague-To-Halt-Benghazi-Coverage

by Kerry Picket 20 Jan 2014, 6:18 AM PDT

Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren claims someone in the Obama administration told her to direct colleague Jennifer Griffin to stop investigating and reporting on the deadly September 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. compound and CIA annex in Benghazi.

I remembered a disturbing phone call from a good friend in the Obama Administration. I have known this friend for years. The call was a short time after 9/11 (maybe Oct. 2012?) In the call, my friend told me that my colleague Jennifer Griffin, who was aggressively reporting on Benghazi, was wrong and that, as a favor to me, my friend in the Administration was telling me so that I could tell Jennifer so that she did not ruin her career. My friend was telling me to tell Jennifer to stop her reporting. Ruin her career?

In 20 plus years, I have never received a call to try and shut down a colleague – not that I even could – this was a first. Here is what I know: Jennifer is a class act...experienced...and a very responsible journalist. One of the absolute best in the business – no axe to grind, she just wants the facts.

I told my friend before I go to Jennifer telling her she is wrong, I need proof she is wrong, strong proof and you need to be specific - what are you saying she is getting wrong? We went around and around — including the statement again that this was just a call as a favor to Jennifer and me to save Jennifer’s career from reporting incorrect information. I got no proof. Zero. I smelled a rat. Favor to me? Hardly. My friend was trying to use me. I feel bad that a friend did that to me, tried to use me for a dirty reason. I knew then — and it is now confirmed by BIPARTISAN Senate Intelligence Committee — Jennifer was getting her facts right. I think it is really low for the Administration to stoop this low.

In her post on Gretawire, Van Susteren points out that in the early days following the assault on the facility, Fox was not invited to participate in a conference call hosted by the State Department press shop regarding the attack that other media outlets were invited to.

"Our friends in other media outlets were scandalized that Fox was not included and told us all about it. They were suspicious of State Department forgetting us/Fox and courageous to tip us off. The State Department claimed it was [an] accident and not intentional," Van Susteren writes.

However, it did not stop there. The network was later shut out of a CIA briefing that other outlets were invited to:

Then we had to listen to all the silliness about a video…what was with that? Did anyone ever really think that was legitimate?

And there were many times in the months and years since September 2012 when Obama Administration officials would make comments to suggest that Fox was just doing the Benghazi reporting for political reasons. The Administration was doing what it could to deter and demean the Fox News Channel investigation. They did not want to give us the facts — so their strategy was to attempt to belittle and demean our reporting.

It should be noted that CBS News' Sharyl Attkisson frustrated the administration and her employer with her Benghazi attack investigation. The Washington Post reported in May of 2013 that her own network was growing discouraged with her reporting of the issue, and she was having problems getting her Benghazi stories aired. The administration's constant stonewalling of the CBS reporter never deterred her, but it did annoy the veteran journalist.

The Post reported:

I find [that] improper,” she said. “You could say suspicious.” Suspicious? “We don’t know what we don’t know,” she says. “There could be political reasons or valid national security reasons [for not replying]. I just don’t know. I know they haven’t made a good argument” for why public disclosure of the material would harm national security.

In August of 2013, it was confirmed that Attkisson's computer had been hacked. CBS News spokeswoman Sonya McNair said that a cybersecurity firm hired by CBS News "has determined through forensic analysis [that] Attkisson's computer was accessed by an unauthorized, external, unknown party on multiple occasions in late 2012." CBS, however, did not accuse the government of accessing Attkisson's computer. This revelation came on the heels of the Justice Department's July 2013 seizures of Fox News Channel's James Rosen's e-mails.

Many sources related to the Benghazi attack were stifled by the administration as well. Breitbart News first reported in December of 2012 that the State Department was keeping American evacuees from Benghazi from speaking to Congress. Additionally, Breitbart News first noted in February of 2013 that Benghazi survivors were more than likely forced to sign non-disclosure agreements immediately following the assault on the compound.

According to Fox News, the FBI interviewed Benghazi survivors over a three-day period shortly after the attack. None of the survivors mentioned a protest over a video critical of Islam.

Van Susteren wrote:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Possibly I missed this in the article but why is Greta speaking out now? I believe all the facts came out in the declassified report last week. So possibly Greta did not want to say anything until the attorney in her knew beyond a shadow of a doubt?

Here is the original Greta Wire link.

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/2014/01/16/obama-administration-and-new-york-times-have-some-explaining-to-do/
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline happyg

I don't recall Greta mentioning this, but I don't always watch her show. However, I know Greta doesn't put out BS, nor puts up with BS. Greta was a democrat, but, from her remarks, I assume she is an independent now, or even a republican. Maybe that is why her old friend tried to use her to shut up Jennifer?  There is nothing this administration won't do to get it's way. They are beyond corrupt, and downright evil.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
However, I know Greta doesn't put out BS, nor puts up with BS.

Well - she is a Scientologist, so a certain amount of putting up with BS is implied.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

I like her and she's tough on both parties.. which is how it should be.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Olivia

Absolutely!  Wish the entire media was like her.  We would be a different world!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Was Greta with CNN before or is my memory playing tricks? She is a good reporter.

Offline happyg

Was Greta with CNN before or is my memory playing tricks? She is a good reporter.

Yes, she was on CNN. At that time, she was a democrat, and leaned left. Some of it was probably because that is how she kept her job. More often, she appeared to take on subjects apart from politics.

When she got to Fox, she started out so-so. Then, she met Sarah Palin, and she became more vocal about what was going on. She hated what was happening to Sarah, and met her personally, and became good friends. I'm not sure this is how it all came about, but what I've seen of Greta, her changes came around that time.  Of course, it wasn't that cut and dried.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Yes, she was on CNN. At that time, she was a democrat, and leaned left. Some of it was probably because that is how she kept her job. More often, she appeared to take on subjects apart from politics.

When she got to Fox, she started out so-so. Then, she met Sarah Palin, and she became more vocal about what was going on. She hated what was happening to Sarah, and met her personally, and became good friends. I'm not sure this is how it all came about, but what I've seen of Greta, her changes came around that time.  Of course, it wasn't that cut and dried.

I believe Greta was "fair and balanced" before she met Sarah Palin.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

I believe Greta was "fair and balanced" before she met Sarah Palin.

Not as much.  The left's attacks on Palin really affected Greta and she changed dramatically as a result.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
This story has that unmistakable ring of truth!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

This story has that unmistakable ring of truth!

Indeed it does.

We are being governed by bullies and thugs.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.