Author Topic: Jimmy Fallon Announces First ‘Tonight Show’ Guests, Talks Jay Leno Transition  (Read 881 times)

Offline happyg

By NELLIE ANDREEVA
When The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon premieres on Feb. 24, it will feature Will Smith as first guest and U2 as musical guests. Smith has been on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, while this will be U2′s first visit with Fallon who had been pursued the Irish band for a long time.

Fallon addressed his relationship with his predecessor, Jay Leno, and the Tonight Show host transition, going back to the time immediately following the Jay Leno-Conan O’Brien debacle when Leno was moved to 10 PM and then reinstated at 11:30 PM, with O’Brien pushed out. “After the Jay-Conan stuff, I called Jay and told him, “I want to let you know that I’m not gunning for your position. I’m very happy at 11:37 PM, I’m here in New York and… very happy at my job. When you decide to step down, (I hope) it’s done the right way.  We talked every two weeks. One day he called me and said, ‘I think this is going to be the year, and I’d love you be the next guy’.” Fallon is not worried if Leno surfaces somewhere else or gets a new program on NBC. “The more Jay, the better,” he said. “Maybe he can be the new detective on The Blacklist.”

Fallon will bring the tone of Late Night to Tonight Show, which also will be a throwback to the show’s early days. “When Steve Allen and Johnny Karson invented it, it was was silly and goofy.” Fallon was asked to differentiate himself from his new rival at 11:30 PM, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel. “We’re in New York…. last names?” He called all the stories about a future rivalry “fan fiction.”
http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/tca-jimmy-fallon-announces-first-tonight-show-guests-talks-jay-leno-transition/

Offline flowers

Hubby huge fan of Leno. Doesn't like Fallon at all. I know I wont watch. I am usually in bed by that time.

Offline happyg

Hubby huge fan of Leno. Doesn't like Fallon at all. I know I wont watch. I am usually in bed by that time.

Me, too. I don't like Fallon now, and won't like him when he takes over Leno's show. This move might prove the end of Fallon.

Offline flowers

Me, too. I don't like Fallon now, and won't like him when he takes over Leno's show. This move might prove the end of Fallon.
:beer:

Offline mountaineer

Re: Jimmy Fallon Announces First ‘Tonight Show’ Guests: Michelle Obama
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 01:30:11 pm »
Fresh from her month-long taxpayer-paid vacation, the Mooch is ready to hit the talk show - and fundraising - circuit.
Michelle Obama will guest on Fallon’s ‘The Tonight Show’
By Ian Mohr
January 24, 2014 | 1:24am

Michelle Obama is headed to New York on Feb. 20, and Page Six has learned that her agenda includes a stop at Jimmy Fallon’s “Tonight Show” during the new host’s first week on the job.

Fallon takes the reins from Jay Leno on Feb. 17, with Will Smith as his first guest and U2 performing.

We hear that before taping her segment for Fallon, the first lady will attend a DNC lunch at the Union Square loft of donor Maneesh Goyal.

A source said the event will include “about 20 guests” at the swanky apartment who will engage in an off-the-record conversation with Mrs. Obama. Seats are going for $10,000.

A “cool downtown crowd” is expected, our source said. But the guest list has not been finalized.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

I don't watch the late night shows much. I have caught Craig Ferguson from time to time, (he's on really late). Good gosh that guy is wickedly funny and a charmer. The women he has on seem to love him. If NBC had any sense, they'd steal Ferguson.

Fallon seems nice enough, but over matched. I expect his ratings will fall off significantly from Leno's. That is, after the novelty wears off.

Offline Millee

I don't watch the late night shows much. I have caught Craig Ferguson from time to time, (he's on really late). Good gosh that guy is wickedly funny and a charmer. The women he has on seem to love him. If NBC had any sense, they'd steal Ferguson.

Fallon seems nice enough, but over matched. I expect his ratings will fall off significantly from Leno's. That is, after the novelty wears off.

I love Ferguson, but only catch clips of him on YouTube. 

And really, U2 as a opening band???  *yawn*

Offline Relic

I love Ferguson, but only catch clips of him on YouTube. 

And really, U2 as a opening band???  *yawn*

I can't stand U2 because Bono is such a putz. It's not so much political, (I still listen to Springsteen), it's just he's a raging idiot. I dropped U2 from my playlist.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I can't stand U2 because Bono is such a putz. It's not so much political, (I still listen to Springsteen), it's just he's a raging idiot. I dropped U2 from my playlist.

He sang for my wife. Acapella, in the first class galley on a trans-Atlantic flight. Sole audience was her, the CSD, a First Officer, and one passenger.

Then she made him a cup of tea.

She likes him - obviously  :laugh: Me - I play The Joshua Tree from time to time, it's a solid album.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink