Author Topic: Queen hands over the reigns to Prince Charles - historic step closer to a new king  (Read 2514 times)

Offline happyg

Her Majesty to hand duties over to Prince Charles in an historic job share which experts say marks a gentle succession

It is being dubbed the “gentle succession” – as the Queen gradually begins to relinquish some of her traditional duties as monarch.

As she approaches her 88th birthday in April after almost 62 years on the throne, she has agreed to hand over part of her workload in a historic “job-share” arrangement with Prince Charles.

In a royal first, he will be taking on more head of state-style responsibilities as
 the Palace starts to make tentative plans for his eventual succession.

Courtiers yesterday described the softly-softly move as “wise” – and “just plain common sense”.

The first sign of the partial power transfer will be the merging this week of the Queen and Charles’s press offices.

In future any announcements concerning the monarch and her 65-year-old
 eldest son will now come from the same source. Palace sources insist the switch will be entirely seamless.

Princes William and Harry will also play their part in the new set-up, with both assuming far more responsibility since they relinquished their military roles.

One aide said: “This is about passing the baton to the next generation.

“The Prince of Wales’s diary is chock-full. Even he realises with the best will in the world he can’t go on like that.

“This is not going to be a sudden shift. It is a gradual process which will be borne out over the next few years.

“It’s a gentle succession.

“It’s important to note that the Queen is still working very hard. Every day you see her with the red box of Government papers and giving audiences.

“Charles will be doing less of his campaigning and the things he likes to do and more of the head of state role.

“While the Queen is still in excellent health, she is inevitably becoming a little more frail because of her age. Charles and Camilla will be doing much more of the public work on her behalf.”

Her Majesty is already the oldest ever British monarch and will soon overtake Queen Victoria’s longest-serving record of 63 years.

But it was stressed yesterday that the changes do not mean she is planning to take a back seat.

The Mirror can exclusively reveal she and Prince Philip will go to Rome later this
 year for a visit that was postponed in 2013.

They will also visit Normandy, along with Charles, this summer to commemorate the
 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

The merger of Palace press offices is likely to see Charles’s new spin doctor, the
 highly respected former tabloid reporter and BBC Head of Communications Sally Osman at the helm of the new operation

A senior insider said: “It is expected that she will be Press Secretary for both main players – The Queen and the Prince of Wales.”

The fact that the Queen’s age is being widely discussed in senior circles was made clear in an award made in the New Year’s Honours List.

There was a second knighthood for her private secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt – for “a new approach to constitutional matters... [and] the preparation for the transition to a change of reign”.

Charles, who swore to be his mother’s “liege man in life and limb” just like his dad Prince Philip, is being her back-up should she need him.

But there is one area where the prince will not be joining in – her weekly
 briefings with the Prime Minister.

Royals attend Christmas Day church service Heir and spare: Wills and Harry   

One former member of the Royal Household believes this would be a step to far. He said: “Those meetings have to be strictly private. A change for the PM to unburden himself without fear of favour. No notes are taken, there are no minutes. It is strictly off limits.”

The source added: “The problem for Charles is, unlike with the Queen, some ministers could see fit to leak the contents of these meetings and suggest that the prince is becoming ‘too political’.

“However that is not the case, he is within constitutional rights. His role as heir to the throne is today purely formal – although he maintains the right ‘to be consulted, to encourage and to warn’ Her Majesty’s ministers via regular audiences with the PM and the ministers themselves.”

Another royal source said it was widely expected that the Queen would no longer be going on long-haul flights to distant lands on diplomatic missions.

But he said she would not be giving up on key royal engagements altogether – even if they did involve a fair bit of travelling.

The involvement of other royals in the revamped system is also being seen as an important factor.

In the modern media world they – the younger generation of William, Kate and Harry – naturally steal most of the headlines.

But it is no accident both William and Harry have quit their roles as helicopter pilots to focus more on their royal duties – although Harry has, of course maintained his position as a captain in the Household Cavalry.

The source said: “What you are seeing, albeit very subtly, is a monarchy in transition. The participation of all the players, particularly Charles and William, is crucial in making things work.”

He revealed: “There are a few noses out of joint – particularly the Queen’s other children, most of all Prince Andrew – who all think they have a part to play.

“But Charles has always believed that a slimmed-down, more cost-effective Royal Family is the best way forward for the 21st century and beyond.”

Pictures at link: Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-hands-over-reigns-prince-3039892#ixzz2qtiMmGxi
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:25:21 am by happyg »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Gawd, can't she skip a generation...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Send in the clowns..

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Best thing Charles could do is abdicate early to one of his sons who not only looks better than him, but also has much better choice in wives.  Between Camilla and John F'ing Kerry (D. Viet.), it is difficult to decide who has the better horse face.  Kerry has tried to compensate with intensive botox therapy but all he has accomplished to date is ensure his pupils no longer dilate.

How about it EC??  I have never heard a Brit properly dump on Camilla, so please don't sugar coat anything, and tell us what you really think about her......

:beer:

Offline Rapunzel

Gawd, can't she skip a generation...

No kidding....... :thud:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Charles is very politically left and unpopular. The queen is not dumb, doing this will not upset many as William is busy being a new father.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline kevindavis007

Charles is very politically left and unpopular. The queen is not dumb, doing this will not upset many as William is busy being a new father.

Is Chuckles a Muslim or not??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Is Chuckles a Muslim or not??

Who said he was a muslim? 9999what

Offline Rapunzel

Those pics are a hoot, gazoo
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Best thing Charles could do is abdicate early to one of his sons who not only looks better than him, but also has much better choice in wives.  Between Camilla and John F'ing Kerry (D. Viet.), it is difficult to decide who has the better horse face.  Kerry has tried to compensate with intensive botox therapy but all he has accomplished to date is ensure his pupils no longer dilate.

How about it EC??  I have never heard a Brit properly dump on Camilla, so please don't sugar coat anything, and tell us what you really think about her......

:beer:

Well - I actually like her. She's got a hell of a temper on her and gives Charles something he badly needed - she tells him no and when he's being a dick (much less frequently since they got married - noticed?).

She's certainly no oil painting, but then again he's no major prize in the looks department either. The best point about her is she stay out of the limelight, mostly.

I doubt Charles will abdicate in favor of William any time soon, despite the fact he'd infinitely prefer that - he'll be taking up the job he's been trained for all his life at an age when most of us are kicking back and relaxing after a life well done. William is, to be blunt, not ready. Seems a nice enough lad on the surface, but he's an arrogant and entitled SOB on the quiet. Commands people - fine in an officer, not so good in a monarch.
I'd far prefer Harry as King. He's got the people skills needed and, more importantly, the sense of humor needed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:28:25 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

Did everybody else miss "courtiers"?  Courtiers?  Wearing those neck ruffles, caps with feathers, the "pantaloons" that puff out like thigh garlics and the curly-ended slippers that come to a point?
Do they still use the clarions when "Majesties" enter the room or am I a victim of excess cartoonary (cartoonery?)?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:39:50 am by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Did everybody else miss "courtiers"?  Courtiers?  Wearing those neck ruffles, caps with feathers, the "pantaloons" that puff out like thigh garlics and the curly-ended slippers that come to a point?
Do they still use the clarions when "Majesties" enter the room or am I a victim of excess cartoonary (cartoonery?)?

Courtiers - literally "Those present at court." Most on them are idiots, but some are advisors. Think Valerie Jarret. She rarely wears ruffles or feathered pantaloons.  :laugh:

The trumpet call is only used in high profile ceremonies. While it is neat to think of the Queen sweeping into the room to the strains of the Imperial march, it rarely happens.
Fun fact - The King of Saudi Arabia is not hugely popular here, yet tradition states that the entrance of a monarch from another state is accompanied by music. They played the Imperial March for him. He loved it. You might just recognise it - the King did not  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

Offline kevindavis007

Who said he was a muslim? 9999what

There was talk that Chuckles is a closet Muslim...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline mountaineer

I'd far prefer Harry as King. He's got the people skills needed and, more importantly, the sense of humor needed.
And then there's the bonus for the ladies that he might get drunk and expose his naughty bits.   :nono:   :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Seriously.  Harry is a lovable mug, but King?  Are you freakin' kidding me?

Meanwhile, here's what very classy William did on Christmas day:

'You can't beat a good selfie on Christmas Day', says Prince William as he poses for photo

Duke of Cambridge took 12-year-old schoolgirl Madison Lambe's mobile and posed with her for a selfie after she visited the Sandringham Estate on Christmas Day

Prince William stunned a 12-year-old schoolgirl by taking her phone and posing with her for a selfie.

The grinning heir to the throne took star-struck Madison Lambe's mobile after she was too stunned to press the buttons herself.

The Duke of Cambridge took the snap after she visited the Sandringham Estate on Christmas Day to watch the Royal family walk from their house to church.

Madison is now the most envied pupil at her school after posting the image of herself standing with the future king on Facebook.

She said: "I couldn't believe it when William came over to me and I asked for a picture. He just said to me 'you can't beat a good selfie on Christmas Day' and took the picture.

Related Articles
Nelson Mandela: Helle Thorning-Schmidt defends David Cameron 'selfie'
 11 Dec 2013
Royal family carried out 1,000 fewer engagements in 2013 as pregnancy takes its toll
 01 Jan 2014
Pope Francis and the first 'Papal selfie'
 31 Aug 2013
Irish 'felfie' farm selfie photos go viral
 29 Dec 2013

"It was really good, I didn't expect it.

"He was really nice and I was so excited. I've put the picture on Facebook. My friends think it is really good and they have been commenting on it."

Madison had travelled with her mum Paula Scrupps, 38, from their home in Boston, Lincolnshire, to Sandringham on Christmas morning.

Single mum Paula, who works for tractor dealership John Deere, said: "We got up early on Christmas morning and opened our presents and then drove down to Sandringham to show our support for the Royal family.

"Madison took some flowers for the Queen and the children line up near the church wall.

"Parents aren't allowed to go so she asked if she could borrow my phone so she could try to a 'selfie' with the Queen.

"I didn't really expect her to get any pictures but certainly didn't think she would come back with a 'selfie' with William."

Last month Prince Charles proved he was a good sport when an unnamed lad asked him to pose for a selfie during a visit to the Coptic Orthodox Church Centre in Stevenage, Herefordshire.

Offline musiclady

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

I have to believe Harry would pull an Edward VIII rather than give up the life he has now.  Why would he want to strap himself with all the pomp, etc. when he can just slide off and party all the time?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:40:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Rapunzel

Interesting. 

Looking at it from across the pond I think William will make a good king.  I find it refreshing he loves his wife and seems to get along with his inlaws.  I understand his standoffishness with the media given he saw what they did to his mother - who he adored. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Interesting. 

Looking at it from across the pond I think William will make a good king.  I find it refreshing he loves his wife and seems to get along with his inlaws.  I understand his standoffishness with the media given he saw what they did to his mother - who he adored.

Give him a few years to season - and yep, he'll be a decent king. Probably not one of the greats, but good. I'd give him my fealty, happily. (We swear to the King or Queen and their heirs and successors - not to the the constitution, as you guys do. Different strokes.)

Right now though - he's pretty shy, a little petty (he's only young yet and few people say no when he needs it) and not hugely experienced. Not good in a monarch, who is supposed to speak out to his ministers and, in a way, be the avatar of the country.
Don't forget - every single minister, priest, Governor General, Lord and MP serves at the monarchy's pleasure. It is not often invoked, but the right is still there to be used. The most important Royal engagement of the week is the meeting with the PM - where the Queen acts as the PM's confessor and guide.

Kate has been good for him, she treats the media attention as a mild annoyance that is part of life. Defuses it, if you like. She's smart, tough and good with people. Yes, like most here I am slightly in love with her.

Offline Rapunzel

Remember, the current Queen was very young and very inexperienced when her father died... She was a quick study and has been a good monarch. I find William much more appealing than his father and shudder at Camilla as Queen.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Camilla can't be queen.

She is the Royal Consort and will remain that when Charles takes the throne. It's happened before. Albert was Prince Consort to Queen Victoria. He got the title Prince from his own rank, but had no official duties and no input into policy.

Offline Rapunzel

She will still try to act like she's queen. I have no love lost for Camilla........ what Charles saw in her escapes me - then I look at him and wonder how Diana was so enamored with him.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Well - Diana was a sweet kid, reasonably pretty, but about as bright as a burnt out match. Charles, despite the jokes about his ears and his obsessions with architecture and organic farming, is damned smart.

Not a lot of compatibility there. To be mildly crude, eventually you have to get out of the bed and talk to each other.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!

I agree.  When she finally departs this earth, many people are going to start to realize what they lost.