Author Topic: Obama Is Cool with States Legalizing Marijuana, But…  (Read 437 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Obama Is Cool with States Legalizing Marijuana, But…
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:33 pm »
http://www.mediaite.com/online/obama-is-cool-with-states-legalizing-marijuana-but/

Obama Is Cool with States Legalizing Marijuana, But…
by Evan McMurry | 1:04 pm, January 19th, 2014 VIDEO

Get out your stash and your Choom Gang jokes. Buried way deep down in David Remnick’s New Yorker profile of President Barack Obama, published Sunday morning, is this nugget:

Accordingly, he said of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington that “it’s important for it to go forward because it’s important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished.”

RELATED: Bill Maher: How Could ‘Our First Black President, And Our First Pothead President’ Be So Bad On Pot?

There’s some buts and on the other hands, as you knew there would be. For starters, he doesn’t think legalization is a cure-all for the ills of the Drug War:

“Having said all that, those who argue that legalizing marijuana is a panacea and it solves all these social problems I think are probably overstating the case. There is a lot of hair on that policy. And the experiment that’s going to be taking place in Colorado and Washington is going to be, I think, a challenge.”

Nor is Obama exactly recommending smoking weed:

“It’s not something I encourage, and I’ve told my daughters I think it’s a bad idea, a waste of time, not very healthy.”
Nancy Grace, this is your cue.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama Is Cool with States Legalizing Marijuana, But…
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:28:01 pm »
He said mj is no more harmful than alcohol. Of course, he and the Mooch have overindulged in one or the other - or both substances - so he must be some kind of expert.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org