Author Topic: Here we go again. Last month it was Phil Robertson and Duck Dynasty. Now it's Juan Pablo Galavis and The Bachelor. It just never stops.  (Read 532 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Headline from Herman Cain's FB page. The background?

Uh oh: ABC condemns The Bachelor's Juan Pablo Galavis for not wanting a gay bachelor; Galavis apologizes

Here we go again, and I'll say upfront that I have never seen The Bachelor and never heard of Juan Pablo Galavis until just now. But this story sounds familiar.

Galavis, who I guess is this season's bachelor on ABC's The Bachelor, was asked during ABC's Television Critics Association winter press tour party on Friday if he thought it would ever be a good idea to have a gay bachelor on the show. He did not. And for that, he has now been condemned by ABC. Not fired, at least not yet, but they released a statement saying, "Juan Pablo’s comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show’s producers or studio."

Here's what he said. We've got both audio and a full transcript:

Interviewer: Do you think it would be a good idea at some point to have a gay or bisexual bachelor?

Galavis: No.

Interviewer: Why not?

Galavis: Just because, I respect them, but honestly I don't think it's a good example for kids to watch that on TV. It's hard. It's a very thin line. I respect Peter there. That's my boy right there. He's spends every day with me. He has his partner and I respect that 100 percent. But obviously, people have their husband and wife and have kids and that's how we are brought up. Now there's fathers having kids and all that, and it's hard for me to undertand that too in a sense of a household having people's two parents sleeping in the same bed and kids going into bed. It's confusing in a sense but I respect them because they want to have kids, they want to be parents. So it's a scale. Where do you put, on the scale, where's the thin line to cross or not? So you have to respect everybody's desires, opinions and way of living. But it will be too hard for TV.

Interviewer: Probably. Too much backlash probably.

Galavis: Too much. And uh, there's this thing about gay people that, uh, it seems to me, you know, and I don't know if I'm mistaken or not. I have met great, you know, I have a lot of friends and that, but they're more pervert in a sense, and to me the show will be too strong to watch for TV.

Interviewer: Well the show's over the top as it is.

Galavis: Yeah. You're right about that. It's just like a soap opera.

http://www.caintv.com/uh-oh-abc-condemns-the-bachelor

Like Mr Cain I had never heard of this guy either until this latest "we are deeply offended" gay story emerged. Galavis, in any case, buckled and apologized.

People,

I want to apologize to all the people I may have offended because of my comments on having a Gay or Bisexual Bachelor. The comment was taken out of context. If you listen to the entire interview, there's nothing but respect for Gay people and their families. I have many gay friends and one of my closest friends who's like a brother has been a constant in my life especially during the past 5 months. The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it. Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself. What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept. The show is very racy as it is and I don't let my 5 year old daughter watch it. Once again, I'm sorry for how my words were taken. I would never disrespect anyone.

Sinceramente,

Juan Pablo Galavis.

http://www.caintv.com/uh-oh-abc-condemns-the-bachelo
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The only reason it made the headline on DRUDGE is because of Matt Drudge's sexual orientation.

And the DRUDGEREPORT is the #1 Conservative website on the planet.

I hope the silliness of this all will blow back on the ones feigning outrage.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald