Author Topic: The Cruelest Pregnancy by Frank Bruni  (Read 249 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
The Cruelest Pregnancy by Frank Bruni
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »

Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: The Cruelest Pregnancy by Frank Bruni
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
Urgh - this is a truly horrible story.

To expand slightly - since I have been following this quite closely, as a counterpoint to the Jahi McMath case - no one knows how long she was on the floor before her husband found her and immediately began applying CPR. Babies are tough and can go a long time on a very limited oxygen supply, so it could well be fine. The presence of a fetal heartbeat would suggest that she collapsed not long before her husband got home.

Is the state right to keep her body viable to save the child? I would posit no, in this case. Her husband want's her switched off. Her parents want her switched off. Had she died in a car crash, there would be no discussion - the trauma would have killed the child. It's an example of a "one size fits all" policy that should be reconsidered. Just because it promotes life rather than death doesn't make it right.

If there was a very short time of oxygen deprivation, and if the hospital does everything perfectly (not just ventilation and blood flow, but proper feeding and movement) the child may survive and be perfectly normal. The chances are higher there will be some developmental problems, but really, there are so few cases of this happening that it's a crap shoot at the moment.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
Urgh - this is a truly horrible story.

To expand slightly - since I have been following this quite closely, as a counterpoint to the Jahi McMath case - no one knows how long she was on the floor before her husband found her and immediately began applying CPR. Babies are tough and can go a long time on a very limited oxygen supply, so it could well be fine. The presence of a fetal heartbeat would suggest that she collapsed not long before her husband got home.

Is the state right to keep her body viable to save the child? I would posit no, in this case. Her husband want's her switched off. Her parents want her switched off. Had she died in a car crash, there would be no discussion - the trauma would have killed the child. It's an example of a "one size fits all" policy that should be reconsidered. Just because it promotes life rather than death doesn't make it right.

If there was a very short time of oxygen deprivation, and if the hospital does everything perfectly (not just ventilation and blood flow, but proper feeding and movement) the child may survive and be perfectly normal. The chances are higher there will be some developmental problems, but really, there are so few cases of this happening that it's a crap shoot at the moment.

The State should not have the right to seize an incapacitated person's body and use that body for the State's own purposes.

As for the child, I will hazard a guess that the child will have at least some cerebral palsy.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
Yet, by shutting her off the state would be executing an innocent life. One which potentially could be both normal and good. There are rules in place in death penalty states which stay the execution if the woman is pregnant. How is this different?

This is why it's such a CF. The state really has no right to go against the wishes of the patient, her husband and her parents. Yet - at the same time, who is looking out for the child?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf