Author Topic: Sweet Cakes by Melissa violated same-sex couple's civil rights when it refused to make wedding cake, state finds  (Read 9186 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

State labor investigators have determined a Gresham bakery violated the civil rights of a same-sex couple when it refused to make a cake for the women's wedding.

The Bureau of Labor and Industries said Friday that it has wrapped up its investigation into Sweet Cakes by Melissa. Spokesman Charlie Burr said investigators found substantial evidence the bakery unlawfully discriminated against the couple based on their sexual orientation.

Oregon law bans discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in jobs and in places that serve the public, such as restaurants and bakeries.

The controversial case began a year ago. Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman of Portland say they were denied a wedding cake by the bakery's owners, who cited their own religious beliefs. Cryer and Bowman, who are domestic partners, soon lodged a complaint with the state.

The state will now oversee a conciliation process between the two parties to see if a settlement can be reached. If not, the labor bureau may pursue charges before an administrative law judge.

Paul Thompson, the Portland attorney representing Cryer and Bowman, said the women consider the investigation’s findings bittersweet. He said the two are about as pleased as they can be, given that state investigation ultimately determined they were discriminated against.

Herbert Grey, the Beaverton attorney representing bakery owners Aaron and Melissa Klein, said the investigation’s outcome was expected. He said the Kleins will participate in the conciliation process, but are maintaining their original stance.

The Kleins have contended they weren't discriminating against the couple, who were customers in the past. Instead, they say they were practicing their Constitutional right to religious freedom. They have said baking a cake for a same-sex wedding would violate their Christian beliefs.

A post on the business’ Facebook page about the investigation’s findings had attracted nearly 200 comments late Friday, most in support of the owners’ stance.

"They’re being punished by the state of Oregon for refusing to participate in an event that the state of Oregon does not recognize," Grey said.

In the months after the case unfolded, Sweet Cakes by Melissa closed up shop on the edge of downtown Gresham, and the Kleins moved the business to their home.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2014/01/sweet_cakes_by_melissa_investigation_wraps_up_as_state_finds_evidence_that_bakery_violated_civil_rights_for_refusing_to_make_same-sex_wedding_cake.html#incart_m-rpt-2
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Soon it will be criminal for a Christian or a church to refuse to give the homos whatever they want.

The left is so close to realizing their dream of criminalizing Christianity they can taste it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

Soon it will be criminal for a Christian or a church to refuse to give the homos whatever they want.

The left is so close to realizing their dream of criminalizing Christianity they can taste it.
Yes they can. They are real close.

Offline Charlespg

Yes they can. They are real close.
sounds like though Christians could have a real bacis for a lawsuit against the ACLU if they could prove that only Christian business are being targeted by these lawsuits.....I don't see any Muslim ,Jewish etc business being sued
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:01:53 pm by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Under Oregon law, accepting a license to do business in the State means you have to comply with this kind of mandate, or else.

And this is all in accordance with State law as written by liberals.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Under Oregon law, accepting a license to do business in the State means you have to comply with this kind of mandate, or else.

Religious beliefs do not trump civil laws in America.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Yet the First Amendment to the U.S. constitution, along with Article I, sections 2 and 3 of the Oregon Constitution, prohibit the passage of laws that inhibit the free exercise of religion. So any compliance requirement that inhibits any reasonable free exercise, as this clearly does, is invalid.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Charlespg

so a muslin bakery should be forced to bake a wedding cake for bleep then?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Really?  Even when those "civil" laws are made up well after your religious beliefs??  Whatever happened to Grandfathering??

Offline Charlespg

Yet the First Amendment to the U.S. constitution, along with Article I, sections 2 and 3 of the Oregon Constitution, prohibit the passage of laws that inhibit the free exercise of religion. So any compliance requirement that inhibits any reasonable free exercise, as this clearly does, is invalid.
there are other bakeries these two bleep could have gone too

Oceander

Under the laws of every state that follows.  It's analogous to the old canard about the Devil gets to call the tune if he pays the piper.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ Religious beliefs do not trump civil laws in America.  ]]

Oh yes, they do!

IF.... you're a muslim!

Oceander

That argument is extremely unlikely to fly.  Engaging in a trade or business is generally not the sort of expressive speech that the First Amendment addresses.  Furthermore, the constitutional provisions go to what the state can force someone to do; if one freely consents to restrictions on one's First Amendment rights, then one has no one other than one's self to blame.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I guess which know who here will demand that all churches be forced to "marry" the queers or face being shut down.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I would have baked them that wedding cake.

S#it happens and orders get messed up sometimes.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

oops.......... it looked just like sugar, guess the sugar and salt got mixed up somewhere.   :silly:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Charlespg

That argument is extremely unlikely to fly.  Engaging in a trade or business is generally not the sort of expressive speech that the First Amendment addresses.  Furthermore, the constitutional provisions go to what the state can force someone to do; if one freely consents to restrictions on one's First Amendment rights, then one has no one other than one's self to blame.
they did not refuse to sell them backed goods etc,just make them a wedding cake

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I think there is a fundamental error here, in treating it as a freedom of speech/freedom of religion case.

Both sides have equal freedom of speech and freedom of religion - so how do you balance it out? Here in the UK (and throughout Europe) we have two well tested rights in common law that the founders never bothered to list - most likely because they were so self evident they decided to save ink.

Freedom of association and freedom of movement.

In my business, I have the right to refuse service to anyone at any time for any or no reason. They have the complimentary right to not pay me for my services if they find my policies offensive or me personally offensive.

It's a more sensible way, and keeps clutter out of the court system.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Let's not get carried away.

The bigger question is why is it unlawful in this case, but signs in store windows that say, "no shirt, no shoes, no service!" is okay?

A business that refuses to bake a wedding cake because of the couple's sexual orientation IS discrimination.

"Shut up and bake" is appropriate here, IMO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

so a muslin bakery should be forced to bake a wedding cake for bleep then?

My oh my!  you debate just like a liberal.

But to answer your question in a word?  Yes! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Really?  Even when those "civil" laws are made up well after your religious beliefs??  Whatever happened to Grandfathering??

Using that reasoning, a diner that was open for business prior to Rosetta Parks should still be allowed to refuse to serve Negroes.   :whistle:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Using that reasoning, a diner that was open for business prior to Rosetta Parks should still be allowed to refuse to serve Negroes.   :whistle:

IIRC Robert Kennedy had to use interstate commerce laws to overturn "for whites only" policies such as the ones you described (Boynton v. Virginia).

The difference (as I see it) is that we all individually have the right to discriminate on a personal level, but that does not necessarily allow for the right to discriminate in the field of commerce.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
IIRC Robert Kennedy had to use interstate commerce laws to overturn "for whites only" policies such as the ones you described (Boynton v. Virginia).

The difference (as I see it) is that we all individually have the right to discriminate on a personal level, but that does not necessarily allow for the right to discriminate in the field of commerce.

Why not? I should, for example, be obliged to make and carve an altar for a Satanic cult? Someone comes in and asks me for one, I'll send them to a colleague who doesn't mind doing that. He gets the money, they get what they want, I get to keep my peace of mind.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

Exactly, Luis.

Except "Ladies Nite" when they can get 50% off alcohol.   :laugh:

or

Senior citizen pricing providing discounts. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:59:24 pm by DCPatriot »