• Owner
  • Administrator
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »

Support the USO

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
Just to get this out of the way first - We told you so. Back in 2003. There is a cost to being an empire, and that cost is high.

So - what to do? The USA spent a lot of time, blood and treasure attempting to stabilize Iraq. No, you neither deserve nor take blame. It seemed to be the right thing to do at the time, and, as far as I can see, it was.

But now? They are a grown up country. Far older than the USA. So - leave them to fend for themselves. Advice, sure, that doesn't hurt.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »
What the frack does he think that the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) his country failed to pass was for??!!

Malaki has been the weak kneed lesser of many evils in Iraq, and in fairness, as Bob Gates points out clearly in his book, Iraq has absolutely no history dating back over 4,000 years of having any kind of representative government.  One of the biggest fears the US had from the very beginning was having Iraq fragment into Shia, Sunni, and Kurdish controlled countries.  What we are seeing now in Iraq is the direct result of the failure of Malaki and Obama to successfully conclude a SOFA, which led to the summary withdrawal of American forces from Iraq, which is exactly all Obama wanted in the first place.

Like I said, I am reading Gates' book now, and all of this is fresh in my mind.  So many people today have no idea and could not care less about this.  But Iraq is closer to the edge of collapse than ever and the slaughter continues.  over 8,000 civilians were killed in Iraq last year and the US press has virtually ignored it. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
Side note - at the risk of a derail:

Is Gate's book worth the read? Being in a benighted country, I have to wait for general release here or bribe a mate to send me a copy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf