Author Topic: Google announces 'smart' contact lenses that monitor glucose levels  (Read 1071 times)

Offline aligncare

Google has announced that it is testing a prototype for a contact lens that would help people with diabetes manage their disease.

In a press release distributed Thursday, the company said that the lens it is designing would measure glucose in tears continuously using a wireless chip and miniaturized glucose sensor. Google says that using the lenses would be a less invasive method of measuring glucose levels than finger-pricking.

More at link ...

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/16/google-announces-contact-lens-glucose-monitor/

Clever! I love this kind of thinking ... Way cool, and monetarily, potentially huge!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:43:01 pm by aligncare »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Google announces 'smart' contact lenses that monitor glucose levels
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
Sent this to my Dad.

He has to test every other day, though he stabs his earlobe instead of his finger.

His response was not the most enthusiastic. "What, I have to cry now?"  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:57:42 pm »
Lol! Clever! I love this kind of thinking ....!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »
Most older people have a problem with dry eyes.  Contacts make my eyes dry.  I can't see my father fumbling around trying to put a contact lens in his eye.  I don't think this is very practical for older people - and speaking for myself, since I have absolutely no trust in institutions anymore - I can't help but think that this will only lead us in the direction of "Big Brother" monitoring everything in us 24/7.  Kind of like that device that Progressive Insurance is pushing that you put on your car and it tattle-tales your driving habits to them. 

Don't like it.  Creeps me out just a bit.  (I would have thought this was pretty cool ten years ago - but now?  No, just NO.)
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:05:37 pm »
Interesting perspective, alice. The Trekkie in me loves this kind of stuff, though. Maybe in another star date or another universe something like this could work for the betterment of folks .... Then again, in another star date or another universe, diabetes itself is conquered!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »
Interesting perspective, alice. The Trekkie in me loves this kind of stuff, though. Maybe in another star date or another universe something like this could work for the betterment of folks .... Then again, in another star date or another universe, diabetes itself is conquered!

True that.   ***cool cat***
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!