While the transfer of Syria's chemical weapons arsenal out of the country continues, there were claims Thursday that two facilities containing toxic stockpiles may have been attacked.
Ahmet Uzumcu, head of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) which is overseeing the removal, said the Syrian government "reported attacks on two sites."
Although there was no way to verify the allegations, Uzumcu said it would nonetheless be worrisome "if there are attempts to capture those chemicals. I don't think it's in the interests of anyone."
The removal of nearly 1,300 tons of chemical weapons has been slowed by the ongoing three-year conflict between President Bashar al-Assad's military and opposition fighters.
Uzumcu asserted that convoys hauling the stockpiles to the Syrian port of Latakia would be helped if the two sides can agree to "temporary truces" that will make passage safer for all concerned.
In spite of the various delays, the OPCW chief expressed confidence that the entire arsenal will be destroyed by June 30 as dictated by last year's United Nation Security Council resolutionhttp://www.kmbz.com/Syrian-Chemical-Weapons-Facilities-in-Danger-/18198833