Author Topic: The Conservative Case for Universal Coverage  (Read 448 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The Conservative Case for Universal Coverage
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:06:30 pm »
The Conservative Case for Universal Coverage
By Avik Roy
For NRO's The Corner

There’s been a lot of talk on the right about the importance of having a policy agenda that addresses the challenges of poverty and economic mobility. A neglected aspect of that discussion, however, is the degree to which access to health coverage is a part of the problem facing lower-income and middle-class Americans today. Medicaid is a basketcase of a program that leaves poor people no healthier than they were before — though it spends trillions on their behalf. And, thanks to Obamacare, one of the biggest economic challenges facing the middle class — the rising cost of health insurance — is getting significantly worse.

While “repealing and replacing” Obamacare is one way to address this problem, its political viability in 2017 — when tens of millions of Americans will be on Obamacare-sponsored coverage — is far from guaranteed. What will repealers-and-replacers say to Americans who like their Obamacare plans, and want to keep them?

The good news is there is an alternative approach, one that would achieve similar – if not better – fiscal results to repeal-and-replace, but with less disruption to existing coverage arrangements. I’ve discussed that approach previously in these pages, and I have a new article discussing the idea today in the Washington Examiner.

Continue reading here...
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: The Conservative Case for Universal Coverage
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:08:04 pm »
What will repealers-and-replacers say to Americans who like their Obamacare plans, and want to keep them?

Oh, I don't know...

How about something along the line of "if you like your plan, you can keep it"?

That's worked fine in the past.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx