Author Topic: It's official: Republicans are done trying to kill ObamaCare  (Read 792 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
It's official: Republicans are done trying to kill ObamaCare
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:54 pm »
http://theweek.com/article/index/255241/its-official-republicans-are-done-trying-to-kill-obamacare

It's official: Republicans are done trying to kill ObamaCare
House Republicans have voted to repeal ObamaCare 47 times. They probably won't take a 48th crack at it.
By Jon Terbush | 6:11am ET   

A

fter vowing to kill President Obama's eponymous health-care law for going on four years now, Republicans appear to finally be moving on.

To be sure, the party hasn't dropped its opposition to ObamaCare. But a shift in the way it has framed that opposition indicates that the days of "repeal or bust" are a thing of the past.

Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Thursday that coming up with an ObamaCare alternative would be "one of the big issues" at the GOP's annual policy conference this month, adding that such a proposal could come up for a vote this year.

"It's important for us as a party, especially in an election year, to tell the people what you're for," he said. "We're for getting rid of ObamaCare and replacing it with a patient-centered health-care system."

It's a subtle shift, but a significant one.

The GOP-led House has voted 47 times to repeal ObamaCare. And just last October, the party shut down the federal government in a last-ditch gambit to nix the law, without offering any sound alternative. True, Republicans have thrown out a few legislative options of their own, but those ideas are generally considered unworkable, and none have gained consensus support.

In that light, simply saying that an official GOP alternative is on the way is a big step away from the nihilistic rhetoric of the past.

Meanwhile, congressional Republicans of all stripes indicate they won't use the coming debt-ceiling negotiations to bargain over ObamaCare. Sure, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) may still be in favor of doing whatever it takes to kill the law, but his peers are reportedly urging him to give it up already.

Outside Congress, GOP-aligned groups are similarly scaling back their opposition. As Red State's Erick Erickson notes, groups like the Business Roundtable and Chamber of Commerce have accepted, to varying degrees, that ObamaCare is here to stay. And the party itself, after being attacked by conservative boosters for dropping the defund tactic last year, has started to fight back against its critics on the Right — remember Boehner accusing such groups of having "lost all credibility"?

Here's Erickson:

The lobbying groups who have open access to Republican leaders are abandoning repeal. The wonks the GOP leaders listen to are abandoning repeal. The outside groups the GOP leaders work with have begun attacking conservative candidates. The outside groups who help conservatives are being shut out by the party.

They are laying the groundwork to bail on fighting ObamaCare. [Red State]

So what changed?

Simply put, ObamaCare went into effect, and it hasn't entered the dreaded death spiral or set the Constitution on fire. In fact, it's starting to gain strength and popularity.

Republicans conceded last year that it would be much harder to stop ObamaCare once the health-care exchanges opened in October, and even harder still once people started receiving their new health care in January. That's why they considered the defund gambit so important. As Cruz put it, October was their last hope of preventing ObamaCare from becoming a "permanent feature of the American economy."

Now that ObamaCare coverage has kicked in, repealing it would mean stripping people — many of whom either just enrolled in less expensive plans or obtained coverage for the first time — of their new insurance.

"It's no longer just a piece of paper that you can repeal and it goes away," Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) told The New York Times this month. "There's something there. We have to recognize that reality. We have to deal with the people that are currently covered under ObamaCare."

We've seen this coming for some time. Hoping to turn ObamaCare opposition into a winning 2014 argument, Republicans have insisted that the law will prove to be an unmitigated disaster. Now that the law is proving relatively successful — though not entirely problem-free — they don't really have a choice but to come up with a true alternative.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: It's official: Republicans are done trying to kill ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:39 pm »
it's starting to gain strength and popularity.What a bunch of crap!!!! Did I miss the news that people are loving obamacare now???????????????/ :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang: :chairbang:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:13:48 pm »
Oh good grief.  The Act has been in effect for what?  2 weeks?   :shrug:

People haven't even begun to feel the pain this legislation has wrought.  What a stupid contention.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
I truly despise both parties.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:36 pm »
I truly despise both parties.
It is more than despise for me.  :chairbang:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:45 pm »
I knew it was over when the GOP publicly flogged Ted Cruz.  They've never used such harsh terminology about Obama.  They disgust me.   :2barf:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:57 pm »
We have two parties establishment(big spending, "government" money. big government, corporatism, main street, status-quo, orgy of special interest, big taxes, stimulus) and anti-establishment - (low taxes, anti-big spending, anti-over-regulation, anti-special interests, free market policies...

La Tourette's (former GOP congressman) PAC is a prime example... getting a ton of money from labor unions and the chamber of commerce - both the unions and chamber are now on the same side.  BTW La Tourette was a big "green energy, environmental regulations guy.

GE made $16 billion last year and yet we the tax payers are still giving THEM money...

BTW McConnell is running ads in KY saying he is "friendly" to coal while he did nothing to block funding for the EPA in this latest budget... and the EPA is destroying coal.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:53:41 pm »
I knew it was over when the GOP publicly flogged Ted Cruz.  They've never used such harsh terminology about Obama.  They disgust me.   :2barf:

Cruz deserved at least some castigation; whether worthwhile or not, he did pull a stunt that got too close to the line.  I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, I'm just saying that, having done it, he should be willing to accept the consequent lumps.  Just think of it as somewhat like, but nowheres near the same thing as, the civil rights protestors in the 60s who broke the segregation laws by, e.g., sitting in the whites-only section of a restaurant, and who then accepted being arrested and criminally punished to testify to the unfairness of those laws.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:04:52 am »
What the heck are you talking about. Cruz didn't break any laws or cross any lines - unless you happened to want Obamacare to be law and us likely going to end up with single payer as a result...... he did what I wish the entire damned GOP would do.  He stood and he fought.