Author Topic: Former Boehner Aides, GOP Sources Expect House Speaker Will Step Down After 2014 Elections  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
09/04/2013 2:25 pm EDT  |  Updated: 09/05/2013 10:48 am EDT

WASHINGTON -- Former aides to John Boehner and other high-level GOP operatives are increasingly convinced that the House speaker will step aside after the 2014 midterm elections, according to interviews with a dozen Republican sources.

All summer, rumors have been swirling around the Hill and K Street that the speaker has had enough and that 2014 would be his last year with the gavel. Then the message went out in July: Boehner (R-Ohio) is not leaving.

Boehner told his inner circle at dinner that there was no truth to the talk, and authorized his people to spread the word around town. A story appeared in Politico the next day, reaffirming Boehner's stated commitment to stay past 2014.

"These inside-the-Beltway parlor games take place every two years. The speaker has made clear publicly he intends to remain in his position in the next Congress," Boehner spokesman Michael Steel told HuffPost.

But not everyone close to the 63-year-old speaker is so sure. "He has to say that. He can't not say that. The minute you say [you're leaving], you're done," said one former GOP leadership aide who is part of Boehner's circle. "Everybody around him thinks this is his last term."

Despite the effort by Boehner to tamp down speculation that he will depart the House after the 2014 midterms, multiple cooks in Boehner's kitchen cabinet think the Republican is still strongly considering making his exit just over a year from now.

"I'd be surprised if he did [stay]," said one former senior aide to Boehner, who, like many consulted for this article, spoke on condition of anonymity to protect their relationships. (HuffPost spoke to four top former Boehner aides, two current aides, five former leadership aides close to Boehner's inner circle, and a GOP operative on familiar terms with his circle.)

Boehner has plenty of reasons to make this coming year his last, but one may be more compelling than the others: It's not at all clear he could win. His deputy, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.), is not expected to challenge him, but during the last election a bloc of insurgent tea partyers threatened to derail Boehner's election by depriving him of the 218 votes he needs to hold the gavel. The insurgents pulled back a bit, and Boehner won the speakership with 220 votes. "He barely won the last one and that group of opposition has only grown," said one former leadership aide. "The ones who were in on it and got cold feet basically gave him a reprieve. They won't be willing to do that again."

Only three more tea partyers would need to join the effort to block his next reelection -- hardly a difficult feat,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/john-boehner-retirement_n_3866110.html

The article is dated.

4 months old...

But somehow with all of the Obama phony scandals it seemed to have gone unoticed.

You have to read the entire article to GET that Boehner is retiring but does not want it made known yet, and why.

This is excellent news. Boehner barely made speaker last vote. And Boehner also has a primary challenger in Ohio.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:44:18 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Hope springs eternal...sacking Boehner would be a good start but the Republican meme of "Reince, Fail, Repeat" has got to change as well.

:0001:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
The assumption that Boehner's departure is imminent has set off a round of jockeying for the positions that would open up. The current power structure includes an ad hoc leadership-in-waiting, consisting of five conservatives who serve as a go-betweens for the leadership and the tea party. Getting the blessing of that group is usually the first step toward getting broader tea party buy-in. According to GOP sources, this group includes Reps. Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Jim Jordan (Ohio), Paul Ryan (Wis.), Tom Price (Ga.) and Steve Scalise (La.). All but Ryan have chaired the Republican Study Committee, the bloc of arch-conservatives in the House. Much of the speculation has focused on Hensarling, chairman of the Financial Services Committee, who is considered a viable candidate for either speaker or majority leader. Price, who lost a leadership race last round to Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Wash.), is considered a viable challenger to current Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (Calif.)

This sounds like GOP establishment Cantor is not going to mind missing HIS TURN.

Interesting...

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

rangerrebew

He's drunk with the notoriety that comes with the position.  If he does step down, it will be because he and his progressive friends think the die is cast and America is irretrievably on it's was down the path to communism.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
If the article is read. He will step down because of his age. He wants to enjoy life after 22 years. He will step down because he was almost voted out last time. I am not taking up for him but the writing is on the wall, it doesn't matter how democratic lite he is. He is near 70 and would like to hit the upscale golf courses.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:24:11 pm by Gazoo »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
"I think I can say, and say with great pride, that we have legislatures that bring higher prices than any in the world." -- Mark Twain

Offline happyg

I don't know much about Hensarling, but think Jim Jordan would be a great Speaker. He conservative, smart, and most of all honest. He also has wisdom, and is a hard worker. Always was.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I agree Hap. After the past few months I think it is safe to say the GOP will be getting new leadership. I wish McCain would retire.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I agree Hap. After the past few months I think it is safe to say the GOP will be getting new leadership. I wish McCain would retire.
How can you say that?  What conservative victories can the Tea Party point to causing or what bipartisan monstrosity have they stopped or stalled?  The last time they challenged the establishment was the shutdown.  The real conservatives numbers appear to me to be dwindling with every Rubio, Cantor, or Ryan that is cast aside.  Thank you.

This is a joke.  Think about all the leaks you have heard out of the Boehner House that turned out true.  There hasn't been many. 
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/keith-olbermann-there-are-all-sorts-rumors-of-john-boehner-too/
The Huff Po doesn't have sources.  The make them up to try and sow discontent.  They want Boehner to think a bunch of people who work for him are leaking to the Huff Po.  It ain't happening despite the Huff Po sweatiest liberal wet dream...seemingly shared by many real conservatives.

My inside sources tell me, if Boehner announces he's retiring then the GOP is losing the House.

If the article is read. He will step down because of his age. He wants to enjoy life after 22 years. He will step down because he was almost voted out last time. I am not taking up for him but the writing is on the wall, it doesn't matter how democratic lite he is. He is near 70 and would like to hit the upscale golf courses.
When I reach the pinnacle of my success I may not be too anxious to give it up for more leisure time.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ My inside sources tell me, if Boehner announces he's retiring then the GOP is losing the House. ]]

If the Pubbies hand amnesty to the 'rats, then they ARE going to lose the House.

Hmmm.... could this be why Mr. Boehner may retire? All pre-arranged?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:51:41 am by Fishrrman »

Oceander

When I reach the pinnacle of my success I may not be too anxious to give it up for more leisure time.

And how about when you realize that you've reached as high as God will allow, and that if you continue you'll simply end up becoming a laughingstock, like the washed-up celebrities who keep trying to get back into the "with it" crowd?

Offline Cincinnatus

What conservative victories can the GOPe point to causing or what bipartisan monstrosity have they stopped or stalled?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
[[ My inside sources tell me, if Boehner announces he's retiring then the GOP is losing the House. ]]

If the Pubbies hand amnesty to the 'rats, then they ARE going to lose the House.

Hmmm.... could this be why Mr. Boehner may retire? All pre-arranged?

I don't trust much of anybody anymore. Much less the huffy post.

I also realize the democrats like to play extra dirty and encourage divide and conquer.

We have an IRS attacking dems political opponents. The MSM schtick of attacking the dems opponents via Alinsky style; is very worn and just about nearly does not work at all anymore.

The, 'blame the pubs for Obama's failures' is also very old and ineffective anymore.

There is no way the dems win super majority or any majority again .

The fact of the matter is Boehner barely won speaker last vote.

What conservative victories can the GOPe point to causing or what bipartisan monstrosity have they stopped or stalled?

They stopped the Oct Obamacare shutdown in Oct.  In Dec they passed Murray-Ryan Budget Agreement.  last week a 1.1 Trillion spending deal.  Wake up.

Offline Rapunzel

They stopped the Oct Obamacare shutdown in Oct.  In Dec they passed Murray-Ryan Budget Agreement.  last week a 1.1 Trillion spending deal.  Wake up.

and those are good things in your mind???
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Once-Ler,

So the GOP establishment are dirtbags and the tea party? It seems you dwell and almost relish in the the GOP e and tea party schism. Who do you support?

Once-Ler,

So the GOP establishment are dirtbags and the tea party? It seems you dwell and almost relish in the the GOP e and tea party schism. Who do you support?

I support the GOPe because from my point a veiw Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, Priebus, and all the leadership is fully awesome.  My point is they are winning and the hardcore or real conservatives are marginalizing themselves.  There will be no change of leadership if, as I suspect, the GOP adds seats in 2014.  If we (meaning the GOPe) fail then you will see new leadership.

and those are good things in your mind???

Do I think representatives of all the people getting together and opening the government, agreeing on spending levels and actually passing a budget are good things?  Is that a trick question?  Of course I think that is a good thing.  It's their job.  They are supposed to do these things.  The voters expect them to do these things.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I support the GOPe because from my point a veiw Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, Priebus, and all the leadership is fully awesome.  My point is they are winning and the hardcore or real conservatives are marginalizing themselves.  There will be no change of leadership if, as I suspect, the GOP adds seats in 2014.  If we (meaning the GOPe) fail then you will see new leadership.

The GOPe has already failed.

Offline Cincinnatus

:silly: and those are good things in your mind???

My first thought also. Recall the question was: What conservative victories can the GOPe point to causing or what bipartisan monstrosity have they stopped or stalled? .

And this is the answer?: They stopped the Oct Obamacare shutdown in Oct.  In Dec they passed Murray-Ryan Budget Agreement.  last week a 1.1 Trillion spending deal.  Wake up.

Any more victories like those and we can just resign ourselves to being Obama's obedient lap dogs.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

My first thought also. Recall the question was: What conservative victories can the GOPe point to causing or what bipartisan monstrosity have they stopped or stalled? .

And this is the answer?: They stopped the Oct Obamacare shutdown in Oct.  In Dec they passed Murray-Ryan Budget Agreement.  last week a 1.1 Trillion spending deal.  Wake up.

Any more victories like those and we can just resign ourselves to being Obama's obedient lap dogs.

Right. Not one of those three things was conservative - unless a person thinks screwing our military veterans to give food stamps and welfare to illegals is conservative.  I could take the 1.1 Trillion "spending deal" and slash the hell out of it and not one of us would feel it at all since so much of the spending is payoffs to special interests... and certainly stripping sequestration wasn't a "good deal" - of course if you are down with your kids and their kids being stuck with a bankrupt, third world, banana republic then I guess it's a good deal
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

The GOPe would not push conservatism as defined by you.  By rat, centrist, and RINO standards...In other words about 90% of voters IMO...the GOPe pushed conservative values and got it passed with rat votes and signed by Obama.  Your quite capable of doing your own research.  Try reading the responses of Boehner and Ryan to reporters questions and you too can answer your own questions.

I'll get you started...

http://reason.com/24-7/2014/01/14/congress-working-on-11-trillion-spending

Negotiators in the U.S. Congress on Monday unveiled a $1.1 trillion spending bill that aims to prevent another government shutdown while boosting funding levels slightly for military and domestic programs - but not for "Obamacare" health reforms.

http://news.yahoo.com/dozens-trade-offs-1-1-trillion-budget-bill-082250902--finance.html
Dozens of trade-offs in $1.1 trillion budget bill

"The shutdown educated — particularly our younger members who weren't here during our earlier shutdown — about how futile that practice is," said House Appropriations Chairman Harold Rogers, R-Ky. "There is a real hard determination now that we will reacquire and use the power of the purse that the Congress constitutionally has been given."

Democrats must accept new money for sexual abstinence education programs they often ridicule, and conservatives can take heart that overall spending for daily agency operations has been cut by $79 billion, or 7 percent, from the high-water mark established by Democrats in 2010. That cut increases to $165 billion, or 13 percent, when cuts in war funding and disaster spending are accounted for. Money for Obama's high-speed rail program would be cut off — a defeat for California Democrats — and rules restricting the sale of less efficient incandescent light bulbs would be blocked.

The Pentagon will get about $6 billion more in war funding than the $79 billion Obama requested. The additional money is helping the Pentagon deal with a cash crunch in troop readiness accounts. Including foreign aid related to overseas security operations, total war funding reaches $92 billion, a slight cut from last year.

So in the $1.1 Trillion spending bill contains increased military spending over sequester, and abstinence education, and the GOPe stopped Obama-rail and Obama's war on lightbulbs. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-in-congress-1-1-trillion-spending-bill/

“I am particularly pleased that this measure contains no earmarks, which were once a pervasive symbol of a broken Washington.  Also of note is the fact that we are not providing any new or additional funding for the president’s health care law,” Boehner said in a statement.

No earmarks.

An unmentioned conservative thing the quick passage of the $1.1 Trillion spending bill does is muzzle stupid freshmen representatives who don't understand how little support they have with voters with tactics like shutdowns.  It protects all Republicans from their bull-headed obliviousness.

Right. Not one of those three things was conservative - unless a person thinks screwing our military veterans to give food stamps and welfare to illegals is conservative.

Can you believe that out of 535 House and Senate members, only 67 Representatives and 26 Senators voted against screwing our military veterans and giving food stamps and welfare to illegals?  I don't believe it.  I know its much much worse. 

Many of them wanted to vote for screwing our military veterans and giving food stamps and welfare to illegals, but they voted against it out of fear that the Tea Party might primary them.  Even if the GOPe wins the primary, the seat may go to a rat.  You know what the GOPe does to the Senators and Representative who they paid good money to vote as told, but don't?  They say "It's OK.  We know you're on our team.  And they say "Eh?!? we'll pass it without these 8 votes."  In other words they are already bought and sold but allowed to vote against screwing our military veterans and giving food stamps and welfare to illegals, because they might become politically vulnerable. 

Some of those who voted against it, voted against it on the principle that they didn't get their fair share of the spending in their district or state.   In other words the bribe wasn't big enough.

If you factor in single issue representatives and fence sitters who flipped a coin IMO at this time there are really only 6-8 Senators the Tea Party can count on and who knows in the House.  That's many less than 3 months ago.

I could take the 1.1 Trillion "spending deal" and slash the hell out of it and not one of us would feel it at all since so much of the spending is payoffs to special interests... and certainly stripping sequestration wasn't a "good deal" - of course if you are down with your kids and their kids being stuck with a bankrupt, third world, banana republic then I guess it's a good deal

Do you think I want to destroy my America?  My children's future?  I bet your a real people person off the forum too.
In the grand scheme of a $1.1 Trillion spending bill I don't think it screws our military veterans anymore than they are already screwed and I don't think it gives food stamps and welfare to illegals any more than sequester did. 

IMO, You could not get elected if your campaign reflected the views I've read on this forum, but if you could get elected, you could not convince enough of the 431 representatives who voted for the $1.1 Trillion bill to jump aboard your idea.

Like Ryan I believe this was the best deal we could pass and it's a step in the right direction.  We could have gotten a better bill if we controlled the Senate.  We could have won the Senate in 2012.  The GOPe has taken the right steps to prevent possible damage to the brand by neophytes.  Go GOPe Ed Gillespie! 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:59:07 am by Once-Ler »