Author Topic: Sen. Coburn to Quit Early Due to Cancer  (Read 453 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sen. Coburn to Quit Early Due to Cancer
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=547588

Newsmax
Sen. Coburn to Quit Early Due to Cancer
Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:41 PM

By: Todd Beamon

Sen. Tom Coburn said late Thursday that he was not finishing his term and retiring after this November's elections because of illness.

"After much prayer and consideration, I have decided that I will leave my Senate seat at the end of this Congress," the Oklahoma Republican said in a statement on his website.

Coburn, 65, an obstetrician, said that he was battling a strong recurrence of cancer. Known for his annual "Wastebook" of excess spending by the federal government, he is in his ninth year in the Senate and had served six years in the House. His term expires in 2016.

"Carolyn and I have been touched by the encouragement we’ve received from people across the state regarding my latest battle against cancer," he said, referring to his wife of nearly 45 years. "But this decision isn’t about my health, my prognosis or even my hopes and desires.

"My commitment to the people of Oklahoma has always been that I would serve no more than two terms. Our founders saw public service and politics as a calling rather than a career. That’s how I saw it when I first ran for office in 1994, and that’s how I still see it today.

"I believe it’s important to live under the laws I helped write, and even those I fought hard to block."

Coburn's announcement marks a change of plans, Politico reports. He told the website earlier this month that he was "plenty healthy enough to serve out my term," but cautioned in an interview that the situation could change.

"The decision I make will be made in conjunction with my family as to how I can best implement and impact things," he said the in Politico interview. "And if I don’t think I can, I won’t."

Coburn’s decision is expected to create a special election to fill out the remainder of his term in Oklahoma, Politico reports.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Sen. Coburn to Quit Early Due to Cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

they misspelled "due to the possibility of him getting his ass whipped".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald