Author Topic: Tom Coburn to Resign at the end of the 113th Congress  (Read 409 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Tom Coburn to Resign at the end of the 113th Congress
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:04:07 am »
Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., plans to give up his Senate seat at the end of this Congress, he said in a statement Thursday night.

“Serving as Oklahoma’s senator has been, and continues to be, one of the great privileges and blessings of my life," said Coburn, 65. "But after much prayer and consideration, I have decided that I will leave my Senate seat at the end of this Congress."

Coburn, a licensed physician who formerly specialized in family medicine, obstetrics and allergy treatment, has been battling prostate cancer, and has previously suffered from colon cancer and melanoma. But he said he was stepping down to honor his pledge to serve no more than two terms in the Senate, though he will be stepping down two years before his term expires.

He was first elected to the House in 1994, where he served three terms, and later was elected to the Senate in 2004.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/16/tom-coburn-okla-senator-to-step-down-at-end-113th-congress/
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Tom Coburn to Resign at the end of the 113th Congress
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:12:59 am »
I pray his cancer is controlled.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776