Author Topic: Giant 3D printer could build homes in under a day  (Read 447 times)

SPQR

Giant 3D printer could build homes in under a day
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:59:48 PM »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Giant 3D printer could build homes in under a day
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »
This technology would be invaluable for extra-orbital construction out at one of the LaGrange points and especially useful for Lunar and Martian construction projects when we get there.  The key is the raw materials.  Lots of carbon and other minerals up there....

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
This technology would be invaluable for extra-orbital construction out at one of the LaGrange points and especially useful for Lunar and Martian construction projects when we get there.  The key is the raw materials.  Lots of carbon and other minerals up there....

:beer:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
Seriously, how about a 3-D printer that uses carbon (buckyballs for example) to build nearly indestructible and incredibly light structural members for construction.  The trick is processing the carbon into a usable form, but there are uncounted trillions of tons of cabonaceous asteroids all over our little solar system.  There are uncounted trillions of tons of iron-nickel asteroids as well, and considering that the entire platinum group on the periodic table occurs naturally in iron-nickel deposits, there is an incredible fortune in precious metals up there as well.

Orbital manufacturing and processing of raw materials is the future.  We cannot (and will not) continue to screw around in Low Earth Orbit, and there is no need to lift everything out of the gravity well once you get established.

Very exciting future.  I'd love to see where we are in another 200 years....

:beer:

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »

Very good point!!

Offline Saltbag

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
We utilize 3D printing for plastic prototyping where I work.  I can imagine the future use for things like this when it becomes more rapid, cost effective, and scaled up like in this video.  I'm currently learning the 3D modeling software to build items virtually, and download it to the printer.  It's wild stuff.
"Any act of government must necessarily reduce? freedom" - Thomas Sowell

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf