Author Topic: Boehner: ObamaCare replacement coming  (Read 1149 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Boehner: ObamaCare replacement coming
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:33 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/195689-boehner-obamacare-replacement-bill-coming

Boehner: ObamaCare replacement coming

By Russell Berman - 01/16/14 12:43 PM EST

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Thursday predicted that House Republicans would unveil — and possibly vote on — a plan to replace the healthcare law in 2014, fulfilling a long-delayed promise to voters.

An alternative to ObamaCare will be “one of the big issues” the House GOP will discuss at its annual policy retreat at the end of the month, Boehner said.

While the party has repeatedly run on a pledge to “repeal and replace” President Obama’s signature law, GOP lawmakers have never coalesced around a single alternative. Boehner is now facing mounting pressure from conservatives who say the party cannot continue to merely denounce the unpopular ObamaCare as a means of winning elections.

“It’s one of the big issues for conversation in terms of our agenda for this year, and I think you’ll see Republicans come forward with a plan to replace ObamaCare,” Boehner said Thursday, “a plan that will actually reduce costs for the American people and make health insurance more accessible.”

The Speaker signaled he agrees with members who are arguing that the party must run on a robust agenda, but party leaders are waiting until the retreat to decide exactly how aggressive to be in an election year. Party leaders favor a politically safer approach in which the GOP would draft principles on a range of issues, including healthcare, tax reform and immigration, but may not actually hold votes that could be targeted in campaigns.

“It’s important for us as a party, especially in an election year, to tell the people what you’re for,” Boehner said. “We’re for getting rid of ObamaCare and replacing it with a patient-centered healthcare system. I think you’ll see ample evidence of that. We believe in tax reform, closing loopholes, getting rid of unnecessary deductions, lowering rates, will be good for our economy and help create more jobs. We believe in education reform.”

“So we’re going to outline these issues,” he continued. “Many of them will be voted on, I’m sure, in the coming year.”

In meetings in the Capitol on Wednesday, conservatives resolved to push the leadership to commit to an ambitious agenda that would include floor votes on a healthcare replacement, tax reform and other issues.

“I don’t want to see us just come up with a vision,” Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) said. “I want to see us devote considerable floor time in this calendar year to implementing that vision.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Boehner: ObamaCare replacement coming
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:31:18 pm »
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Thursday predicted that House Republicans would unveil — and possibly vote on — a plan to replace the healthcare law in 2014, fulfilling a long-delayed promise to voters.

Underlying erroneous assumption: the federal government has any such authority when it comes to health care. It is precisely because Boehner and others in the Republican Party do not even question whether the government has such power they are referred to as RINOs and must be replaced.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:36:36 pm »
Underlying erroneous assumption: the federal government has any such authority when it comes to health care. It is precisely because Boehner and others in the Republican Party do not even question whether the government has such power they are referred to as RINOs and must be replaced.

I agree that government has no authority in requiring and providing healthcare. However, we are among a minority, and a dying breed. I listen to what is said around me. Most people want some form of government healthcare. We're going to be presented with two options, a Republican plan, or the Democrats transforming the fatally flawed obamacare, into a single payer system.

There is no third option.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »
I know, Relic, sadly I know. The Constitution is now a mere scrap of paper with some words on it. The American people have lost that sense of freedom which burned so brightly just over 200 years ago. Collectivism is ascendant and the Republic is dying.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »
How does Tammy Fay Boehner intend to get the replacement, get Putin to negotiate it?

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
I know, Relic, sadly I know. The Constitution is now a mere scrap of paper with some words on it. The American people have lost that sense of freedom which burned so brightly just over 200 years ago. Collectivism is ascendant and the Republic is dying.

Agreed.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
Free beer tomorrow.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »
It's very simple.  Repeal the damn law and let the free market prevail.........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »
It's very simple.  Repeal the damn law and let the free market prevail.........

That would be like telling Hitler to do away with anti-Jewish laws.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »
I'll repeat myself, at the risk of being rude.

It's one Party, not two, with the same goal in mind, giving us the impression that there are two parties with opposite goals in mind.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 05:52:03 pm »

It's one Party, not two, with the same goal in mind, giving us the impression that there are two parties with opposite goals in mind.

This is the truth.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:07 pm »

I guess you missed McConnell and Boehner themselves declaring war on the conservative wing of the GOP... and taking Democrat money to help wage that war.  If the GOP is one party then we've become a three party country when there isn't a home in the two parties for a very large Conservative faction.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »

Uh, no, this is not my goal, nor the goal of anyone who seriously seeks to curtail collectivism:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »

Uh, no, this is not my goal, nor the goal of anyone who seriously seeks to curtail collectivism:

It may not be your goal, but it appears to be our reality.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:46 am »
It may not be your goal, but it appears to be our reality.

Even if the latter were true, and that is open to dispute, you originally stated: It's one Party, not two, with the same goal in mind, giving us the impression that there are two parties with opposite goals in mind., which is not the case, and is but one more instance of you indulging in the error of overstating what is, interestingly enough, reality.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 05:28:04 am »
The single party is not Democrat or Republican. The single party is 'the Government'.

The government represents themselves only. The government represents 'the government'. Nothing will change untill these guys are kicked out, one way or another.

We are currently living in the last days of the Roman Empire. These politicians can cheat and steal and take as much as they want. What good will it be in a hundred or a thousand years. Nothing.

But they will have sold their everlasting soul for something as simple as fear and greed.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:42:20 am »
Making excuses for either party is having your head buried in the sand.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:35:46 am »
The single party is not Democrat or Republican. The single party is 'the Government'.

The government represents themselves only. The government represents 'the government'. Nothing will change untill these guys are kicked out, one way or another.

We are currently living in the last days of the Roman Empire. These politicians can cheat and steal and take as much as they want. What good will it be in a hundred or a thousand years. Nothing.

But they will have sold their everlasting soul for something as simple as fear and greed.

Precisely.