Author Topic: Ted Cruz asks Obama NSA panel why overreaching spying didn't prevent Ft. Hood and Boston bombing terrorist attacks  (Read 1003 times)

rangerrebew

Ted Cruz Asks Obama NSA Panel Why Overreaching Spying Didn’t Prevent Ft. Hood and Boston Bombing Terrorist Attacks

January 15, 2014 By Matthew Burke

In Tuesday’s “Hearing on the Report of the President’s Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technologies” Texas Senator Ted Cruz grilled Obama NSA witnesses as to the effectiveness of the massive spying operation, which failed to stop the tragic terrorist attacks at both Fort Hood and the bombings in Boston. Richard A. Clarke, Michael J. Morell, Professor Geoffrey R. Stone, Cass R. Sunstein and Professor Peter Swire were asked by Cruz if government surveillance programs have focused too much on gathering information on law-abiding citizens and too little on the actual “bad guys.”

I think a great many Americans have concerns about the current state of NSA surveillance”, he said. “I have concerns on two fronts: I am concerned on the one hand that the federal government has not been effective enough monitoring and surveilling bad guys. That we have not succeeded in preventing what should have been preventable terrorist attacks. And at the same time I am concerned that the sweep of the surveillance has been far too broad with respect to law-abiding citizens. And I think a great many Americans would prefer to see that reversed. 

Despite all of our surveillance capabilities, despite having significant indications that Major Hasan was engaged in these communications, the federal government failed to prevent the horrific terrorist attack that claimed the life of 14 innocents at Fort Hood. So the first question I would like to ask the panel is in your judgment, why is that?
Cruz got the witnesses to admit on record, that despite the almost infinite net the Obama agency is casting, they have failed to prevent even one potential terrorist attack, despite the massive amount of data that Obama has been retrieving (many would correctly argue in direct violation of the Fourth Amendment) from innocent, unsuspecting American citizens with no search warrant. 
- See more at: http://www.tpnn.com/2014/01/15/ted-cruz-asks-obama-nsa-panel-why-overreaching-spying-didnt-prevent-ft-hood-and-boston-bombing-terrorist-attacks-video/#sthash.ohZ1bZTA.jwYUH4KK.dpuf

rangerrebew

I agree with Cruz except for one thing.  According to Obama these were not terrorists, they were "causers of mischief." :whistle:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I can tell you why.

The primary intent of acknowledging this is to strike FEAR into everyday Americans and politicians who may think about setting up meetings and correspondence and plans to do harm to their Administration and overall agenda.

Can you say Valkyrie? 

They want to minimize the risks of experiencing that type of event.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Brit Hume just made an excellent point on this subject on Special Report....is it not interesting how much news coverage there is about the NSA, even though not one single victim has ever been identified??

Contrast that with the lack of coverage about the horrendous security risks on the Obamacare website.  Both stories are arguably similar in many ways yet the public reaction to both is completely different.  And there are actual, real people victims of Obamacare out there, well over 5 million of them and counting....

:shrug:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Information-gathering on the sweeping scale as being conducted by NSA can't tell you much about people you don't yet know about. The information "is there" in the pile, but where in the digital haystack do you look to find "the needle", particularly when the needle you're looking for is an as-yet unknown?

However, it CAN be used to dig up dirt on people that you ALREADY know about -- such as your political enemies...

Some folks seem to have learned this, quickly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:14:09 am by Fishrrman »

Offline R4 TrumPence

I listen to Ted and I try to say.. hmmmm, is he wrong? Then I see myself agreeing with him wholeheartedly!!!  Makes me wonder what other people are hearing and seeing :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Brit Hume just made an excellent point on this subject on Special Report....is it not interesting how much news coverage there is about the NSA, even though not one single victim has ever been identified??

I disagree with Hume.

The NSA has victimized all of us.

To think that one victim has not been identified is to deny the existence of the tree because of the forest.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I can tell you why.

The primary intent of acknowledging this is to strike FEAR into everyday Americans and politicians who may think about setting up meetings and correspondence and plans to do harm to their Administration and overall agenda.

Can you say Valkyrie? 

They want to minimize the risks of experiencing that type of event.

Cuba's CDRs (neighborhood Committee for the Defense of the Revolution) were set up to spy on people's every day activities, and report any "suspicious" behavior back to the G2 (internal security force) who would detain you for questioning and could charge you with the crime of "dangerousness" to the "revolution" (A.K.A. Castro's government).

The NSA may very well become a less visible, broader manifestation of that same method.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online mountaineer

Cuba's CDRs (neighborhood Committee for the Defense of the Revolution) were set up to spy on people's every day activities, and report any "suspicious" behavior back to the G2 (internal security force) who would detain you for questioning and could charge you with the crime of "dangerousness" to the "revolution" (A.K.A. Castro's government).

The NSA may very well become a less visible, broader manifestation of that same method.
Agreed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I listen to Ted and I try to say.. hmmmm, is he wrong? Then I see myself agreeing with him wholeheartedly!!!  Makes me wonder what other people are hearing and seeing :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Here's my dichotomy.

I don't like anyone in DC at this time.

I don't like them because they tell everyone the things they want to hear in order to gain power, and once they're in DC hiding behind the general anonymity of the body of corruption that is the Federal government, they do whatever the Hell they want to do, right up until the next time that they need to be elected. Then they start the process all over again by telling you whatever it is that you want to hear, and crying out about all the wrongs that the government that they themselves are a member of, is raining down on us.

That's probably why while the approval rating of Congress is deep in a malfunctioning, sh#t-filled toilet, most people re-elect their Congressional representatives.

Ted has a knack for telling me things that I want to hear which simultaneously makes me like him (everyone likes someone who validates your own thoughts) and distrust him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:28:19 pm by Luis Gonzalez »