Author Topic: Gay Orgy, Gone! 'Wolf of Wall Street' Censored, Banned Overseas  (Read 699 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Gay Orgy, Gone! 'Wolf of Wall Street' Censored, Banned Overseas
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:06 am »
Originally I considered sharing this story as an example of the kind of decadence now routinely a part of movies shown in America but not allowed in foreign countries. However, my attention was soon drawn to these descriptions of the film's content, a film made by a major American director, starring some well known Hollywood actors, and released through a legitimate American production company (not one of those video operations out in the San Fernando valley). Has anybody on here actually seen this thing?

Many Hollywood films are trimmed or censored in more conservative regions of the world, so it nearly was a given that Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street -- a three-hour raunch-fest featuring sex, drugs and 569 variations of the F-word -- would face plenty of heat (in the U.S., Scorsese had to make trims to secure an R rating, versus an NC-17)...

In India, three scenes were cut: a gay orgy, co-star Jonah Hill's public masturbation sequence and the opening scene of the film that features DiCaprio blowing cocaine into a woman's derriere using a straw. Also, the expression "all nuns are lesbians" was blacked out because of a guideline stating that all religions should be respected (before getting a release, titles must be cleared by the government's film regulatory board)...

Singapore authorities had said they were also cutting several scenes, including one featuring DiCaprio having sex with a flight attendant...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wolf-wall-street-censored-banned-671059

Despite all that, Wolf is doing quite well, even overseas, which I suppose puts me in the old fogie category.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Gay Orgy, Gone! 'Wolf of Wall Street' Censored, Banned Overseas
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:14:54 am »
IT seems Hollywood is trying to outdo itself.   More and more I just watch old movies... not the old from the 30's -- the old from the 70's, 80's and 90's.....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:52:24 pm »
More and more I just watch old movies... not the old from the 30's -- the old from the 70's, 80's and 90's.....

Well sit down right here, Rapunzel, and we will share a dish of tapioca pudding.

:silly:
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:28:05 pm »
My sons went to see it and were shocked.  They said numerous "older" people walked out.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »
From what I've read, it's disgusting. I won't be wasting hard-earned money on a movie like this.
As an aside, my sister and I just watched Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes"  on Netflix.  What a nice movie. No nudity. No drugs. No vulgarity.

Go figure.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org