Author Topic: GOProud Founder Officially Leaves Republican Party over ‘Tolerance of Bigotry’  (Read 874 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

http://www.mediaite.com/online/goproud-founder-officially-leaves-republican-party-over-tolerance-of-bigotry/

Jimmy LaSalvia, the founder of the conservative gay advocacy group GOProud, has officially announced his departure from the Republican Party.

“Today, I joined the ranks of unaffiliated voters. I am every bit as conservative as I’ve always been, but I just can’t bring myself to carry the Republican label any longer,” LaSalvia wrote. “You see, I just don’t agree with the big-government ‘conservatives’ who run the party now.”

He also cited the GOP’s “tolerance of bigotry” as a reason for his departure. “The current leadership lacks the courage to stand up to it,” he lamented, “I’m not sure they ever will.”

LaSalvia remarked upon his successful efforts to “create an atmosphere on the right where conservatives can openly support gay Americans and even support same-sex marriage,” but noted there is “more work to do” to “root out the anti-gay and other forms of bigotry in the party.”

And so, he officially changed his voter registration to “No Party,” which was also the blog post’s title.

“I feel huge sense of freedom,” he concluded. “I am an independent conservative. (That sounds much better than ‘gay Republican.’)”

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
In other words, he's ticked off that the GOP won't go all in for fag "marriage."
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

He's a gay activist. If he's a true conservative, he wouldn't be a gay activist, yet remain gay. I could care less that he's gay. He does. Too much!

Offline Rapunzel

He's a gay activist. If he's a true conservative, he wouldn't be a gay activist, yet remain gay. I could care less that he's gay. He does. Too much!

goopo
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline evadR

A lot of people have left the republican for a whole host of reasons.
As John McClain said...
"welcome to the party pal".

Count me in with the "new 43%".
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

In other words, he's ticked off that the GOP won't go all in for fag "marriage."

Exactly.

Online mountaineer

Another "single issue voter" heard from.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org