Author Topic: The Weather Channel Begs Congress to Intervene in Negotiations with DirecTV  (Read 1007 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/13/The-Weather-Channel-begs-Congress-to-intervene-in-negotiations-with-DirecTV

by Matthew Boyle 15 Jan 2014, 12:00 AM PDT

Perhaps the most bizarre request of the still young 2014 political season comes from The Weather Channel, which is asking people to call their congressmen and senators to demand Congress intervene in the battle between it and DirecTV.

DirecTV and The Weather Channel have been in a dispute over whether the satellite service provider will carry the NBC Universal-owned channel. Many DirecTV customers nationwide will lose their access to The Weather Channel as early as Tuesday if a negotiation is not reached by then.

Since the negotiations have not gone anywhere, officials at The Weather Channel have turned to asking viewers to contact Congress to ask the legislative body to intervene. The heart of The Weather Channel's argument is that service with the channel is a matter of life and death for viewers.

"Starting today, The Weather Channel will begin asking DIRECTV viewers and all Weather Channel supporters to call their Representative and Senators in Washington and ask them to help keep this critical public safety resource in the DIRECTV lineup,” The Weather Channel said in a press release. “Given the increasing frequency and severity of weather-related emergencies across the country, access to timely and accurate weather information is imperative for public safety and, therefore, an issue meriting Congressional attention.”

Frequently throughout the press release, The Weather Channel argues that it provides a “critical public safety role.”

"The campaign, aimed at demonstrating the critical public safety role of The Weather Channel, will be supported by a multifaceted direct-to-consumer campaign that will include advertising on The Weather Channel, weather.com and on The Weather Channel’s mobile apps,” it said.

The campaign has involved the creation of a website that can generate letters to members of Congress, a hotline phone number, and even responding to posts by members of Congress like Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-TN) on Facebook. The Weather Channel has also been broadcasting phone numbers for members of Congress on its television station, advising viewers to call in about the issue.

However, there is just one major problem with The Weather Channel’s massive new public campaign for congressional support. Notwithstanding how Americans of all different beliefs probably do not want Congress to pick and choose what is on TV, there is nothing Congress can officially do to help them – even if it wanted to intervene.

Reached by phone late Monday evening, The Weather Channel CEO David Kenny confirmed that there is actually nothing Congress can do to force DirecTV to carry the channel. He said what his company is more interested in doing with this public pressure campaign is to try to get members of Congress to talk about The Weather Channel and large telecommunications industry issues.

Kenny said in a phone interview with Breitbart News:

Listen, I think a member of Congress has to be informed because they work to make sure whether constituents are safe in their district. What they can do is bear in mind as they – I don’t think they can get involved in this specific dispute. I think they can get involved in the broader issue of whether a large distributor should be picking on these independent networks and small networks that provide good service to people, which is inadvertently causing consolidation in the industry. I think there’s a real question about whether they’re suppressing our weather science. There’s a real question about them arbitrarily setting a price well below the market rate and being bullies because of their market power. That goes well beyond us, just looking at the industry structure. The way telecommunications and satellites are dealt with right now is certainly on the agenda. The Telecommunications Act is being rewritten and I think this important context for them in that light. So I think they’re going to look at the public good, instead of looking at this as a business issue itself.

Kenny added that he views his channel as a public service but that he is not trying to push new legislation and does not think new laws would be an answer to his problems.

Kenny said:

I think we absolutely serve the public. I think we absolutely have a history of working with NOAA and the National Weather Service and a deep communications platform that took decades to build and millions of dollars, which is a public service. I am not after changing law just for us. That wasn’t the intention. But I do think that there’s a public good because we are used by emergency management organizations at the local, state and federal level, because we are used by military organizations, we are used by humanitarian organizations. They all understand they’re going to lose access to this outlet to communicate this message. But I don’t necessarily think a legislative solution is the answer. It’s pertinent that DirecTV understand the responsibility they have within the law that’s already passed to serve the public. They’re very focused on their football, and the money they’re spending on that, and that’s discounting the rest of their responsibility as a carrier. I think particularly in rural areas, this is where you really only have satellite as a choice, it’s very dangerous if they’re making arbitrary programming decisions against anything that’s news and information related. I think reminding them of their responsibilities is key. We’re not after new legislation.

From its end, DirecTV has launched an alternative service called WeatherNation to provide people with weather news coverage. Even so, a press release from DirecTV states it remains in negotiations with The Weather Channel at this point.

“We remain in discussions with The Weather Channel on how to provide its service to our customers at the best value since people now use so many other ways to retrieve weather-related information,” DirecTV said. “We launched WeatherNation (DIRECTV channel 361) as an alternative to provide 24/7 hard news weather coverage in response to numerous customer complaints that more than 40 percent of The Weather Channel’s programming is dedicated to reality television shows. DIRECTV also offers city-by-city weather coverage on more than 1,400 local broadcast stations and on DIRECTV’s emergency channels in times of severe weather.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

DirecTV is always dropping networks. I found it curious that the Weather Channel was gone, but they replaced it with some other weather network. Considering I checked TWC about once every two weeks, it really hasn't been missed.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

Weather channel is nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Goreble warming crowd anyway.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Weather channel is nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Goreble warming crowd anyway.

Ever since NBC took over it has been.  TWC founder has denounced the global warming hoax.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline flowers

Goreble....that is a good one Rap. :patriot:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
DirecTV is always dropping networks. I found it curious that the Weather Channel was gone, but they replaced it with some other weather network. Considering I checked TWC about once every two weeks, it really hasn't been missed.  :shrug:
Seems to be a recent fad. Not too long ago DirecTV was the premium outlet that got as many channels as they could, compared to lower budget Dish Network. Must be they had a change in management.

Anyway, TWC has been trying for years to cut corners on weather, the product that is their base. They responded to fracturing/declining viewership by replacing forecast product with what I like to call “McCable” reality/documentary shows that you can find most anywhere. They have tried to cut as much weather as they can before providers drop it— before this dispute theu had about one hour of weather after 2pm. Other than that, all McCable, and they wonder why ratings are down. They even  tried airing movies a few years ago (that was before Dish had a similar dispute).

The most effective thing TWC can do to reduce cost without alienating the base is to prerecord some of the product that is not as time sensitive, especially in calm weather. WeatherNation, Accuweather and other local weather outlets already do that. Also, innovate! I know that some meteorologists are skittish about forecasting more than a week out, but there are newer models coming out that are viable 10-14 days at the national scale. Longer range forecasts can help differentiate  a national network from local meteorologists.

Finally, NEVER forget your base*— weather enthusiasts, meteorologists and people who want a forecast on their TV. McCable can be found anywhere, but people go to the Weather Channel for current weather information. Without it, the channel has no point of existing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rodrigo

Directv dropped the Weather channel for other weather stations that actually have WEATHER on them 23/7, not a lot of documentary fillers.  Weather channel used to be good till NBC bought it.

Offline Rapunzel

NBC and ABC both are ruining previously good cable stations... Bio is hardly even Bio these days...... for instance.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

Anyway, TWC has been trying for years to cut corners on weather, the product that is their base. They responded to fracturing/declining viewership by replacing forecast product with what I like to call “McCable” reality/documentary shows that you can find most anywhere.
Agreed. There have been times when bad weather was heading our way and I tried to get some details from TWC only to find a show about helicopter pilots or some such thing. Some students and a professor at Mr. M's college have worked on one of those "reality" shows for TWC; I think it was one about hurricane chasers. Just tell me the doggone forecast!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org