Author Topic: Does footage of Chamberlain's 100-point game actually exist?  (Read 531 times)

SPQR

Does footage of Chamberlain's 100-point game actually exist?
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:20 am »
Fox Sports

On March 2, 1962, Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in an NBA game. That much we know to be true.

But if you weren’t one of the 4,124 fans at Hershey Sports Arena to see the Philadelphia Warriors’ 169-147 win over the New York Knicks live that night, then you’ve never seen it for yourself -- and until recently, there was no hope that you would ever do more than hear it ever again.

Fortunately, Josh Pastner’s father was there, as a ballboy for the Warriors, and the Memphis basketball coach’s dad says he has videotape from Wilt’s record game. Problem is, he has no idea where the reel is.

The revelation came to light Saturday, when Pastner’s Tigers were in Philadelphia to face Temple. Pastner was reflecting on his family’s ties to the City of Brotherly Love after Memphis’ 79-69 win when he shocked reporters by revealing his dad’s priceless possession.

“My father and his father taped the game reel-to-reel in the second quarter when it was in Hershey, Pa., in the 100-point game,” Pastner told reporters, via The700Level.com. “They started when he had like 30-something; they thought it was going to be a special night.

“They gave it to Wilt — the 100-point game — and Wilt gave it back to my dad and my dad’s dad. He gave it back to them, they boxed it up, and he’s still trying to find it. He’s got all kinds of boxes, and he doesn’t know if he lost it. He’s trying to find the sucker.”

So one of the most sought-after pieces of videotape in sports history might be sitting in a musty box in someone’s attic. Or maybe it’s in the shed. Or maybe it got thrown away. Or maybe it got sold at a garage sale. Actually, when you get a chance, go check your attic, you know, just in case.

And if you find something, please do let us know.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/does-video-of-chamberlain-s-100-point-game-actually-exist-011314

Offline mountaineer

Re: Does footage of Chamberlain's 100-point game actually exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:25:17 pm »
My father and his father taped the game reel-to-reel
Does he mean they filmed it?  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

SPQR

Re: Does footage of Chamberlain's 100-point game actually exist?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:58:44 pm »
Does he mean they filmed it?  :shrug:

I think he did film it