Author Topic: Trump: I May Run for NY Governor — If Republicans Unite  (Read 671 times)

Offline happyg

Trump: I May Run for NY Governor — If Republicans Unite
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:01 pm »
By Bill Hoffmann
Billionaire developer Donald Trump says he may run for governor in New York state — if the political climate is right.

"Many of the leaders of the Republican Party in New York have come and asked me to do it," Trump told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.

"New York is in bad shape. It's got the highest taxes in the United States for a state, and we'll look at it," he said Tuesday.

And the political climate that would be right for Trump, star of NBC's long-running hit show "The Apprentice" and one-time presidential candidate?

"If we could have a unified party in New York . . . which we haven't had for a long time, many years . . . I would certainly give it very, very serious consideration, which I'm doing now," he said.

"There's got to be total unity because it's three to one in New York, Democrats to Republicans. It's a very hard race to start off with, and the last thing you want to do is go into a primary with somebody that can't win and have to spend time, effort, and money on winning.

"So, if there's unity, I would certainly consider it very strongly, and I've told them that."

Trump said he is optimistic about New York City's new Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio, who succeeded Michael Bloomberg.

"I have high hopes for him. He's a smart guy . . . He ran a great campaign. The Republicans just got absolutely blasted in that one," Trump said.

"He picked an excellent police commissioner in Bill Bratton, so that was a good choice, and the rest of it, you're just going to have to see what happens over the next period of time."

But Trump says he can't see de Blasio tinkering with New York City's phenomenal financial success.

"I don't see him killing the golden goose. I don't think that's going to happen," Trump said.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/Donald-Trump-governor-York-taxes/2014/01/14/id/547096#ixzz2qU9xACb1

Oceander

Re: Trump: I May Run for NY Governor — If Republicans Unite
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:33:23 pm »
The perfect political office for him would be Mayor of NYC.  He'd fit right into the mold of Ed Koch.  Governor of NY?  Not nearly as compatible.