Author Topic: Google house: Tech giant spends billions to get inside your home  (Read 461 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Google house: Tech giant spends billions to get inside your home
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
No google appliances in my house!  Especially the thermostat.  My local electric company keeps sending me notices I use more electricity than my neighbors. Hello!!!!  My neighbors are all either snowbirds or weekenders.. I have one permanent nearby neighbor who is here year-round like me and they have solar on their much newer home... 

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »
The only Google thing I have in the house is my Nook, which runs a heavily modified Android OS.  It's pretty only purpose is to serve as a backup should the power be out for hours and the laptop's battery has run out.  This way I'd have something to do.

I thought about a Chromebook for traveling (since if it got stolen it would not be nearly the loss the laptop would be) but for about the same price, I can buy a very low end, regular laptop if I catch it on sale.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:38:25 AM »
Apparently the only way to protect your personal privacy is to go totally retro:  an old car, and old house, an old phone, an old TV, etc, etc, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf