Author Topic: DNA Transmission of Memories  (Read 748 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
DNA Transmission of Memories
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »
DNA Transmission of Memories

“This compelling evidence addresses constitutional fearfulness
that is highly relevant to phobias, anxiety and post-traumatic stress
disorders, plus the controversial subject of transmission of the ‘memory’
of ancestral experience down the generations.”

- Marcus Pembrey, Ph.D., Pediatric Geneticist,
University College London, U. K.

Emory University School of Medicine researchers
have reported in in the journal of Nature Neuroscience,
that memories can be passed down to later generations through
DNA genes. Dr. Brian Dias, lead investigator, says “the experiences of a
parent, before even conceiving offspring, markedly influence both structure
and function in the nervous system of subsequent generations.”

http://www.earthfiles.com/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Report is upcoming, but I thought this was something we could discuss....as it's always been my contention that ALL experiences we have as individuals are imprinted somewhere in our DNA.

To me, it accounts for children expressing the same traits as one...or both of their parents.   And I'm not speaking of physical traits, but personality traits.

Problem is, that Earthfiles may leave us hanging for another week before we get the details.  LOL!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:01:21 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: DNA Transmission of Memories
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:23 pm »
That's an interesting subject for me DC.  My father always told us that he believed in "inherited" memory.  I remember as a small child, he would get me and my sister to sit in a darkened room and get very quiet.  He would instruct us to clear our minds and not think of anything if we could.  Then he would ask us to envision a place - a place we had never been before - then he would ask us to describe that place.

The place I would see would be a large meadow with tiny yellow flowers, a building in the distance, but too far away to describe.  He was convinced the place we were seeing was an inherited memory.  Not too sure how accuracte it was, but it was a fun exercise.  Anyway, I have no doubt that we inherit much in the way of memories and instinct. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: DNA Transmission of Memories
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »
There was a theory - now discredited or sidelined - that the brain produced memory RNA. Not sure why it was discredited, not had time to look it up. But - consider this.

Take a Monarch butterfly. Pretty, graceful, harmless. And it flies up to 5000 miles to the same bunch of trees to overwinter. They only live for a year, and are not terribly good parents. So - how do the newly hatched know where to go?
Or flatworms. Probably one of the simplest (though repulsive) organisms we know. Take a flatworm, teach it to run a maze, then chop it up. The pieces regenerate into full flatworms - all of whom know how to run the maze.

It's a common thing on farms to hatch duck eggs under broody chickens. Chickens are pretty devoted mothers, ducks less so. Yet every duckling knows how to swim, regardless of the hysteria of their mother.

Or watch a tiny kitten asleep. They dream. What about, their eyes aren't even open yet!

There is definitely a transmittable part to memory.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:14:10 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink