Author Topic: 16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar  (Read 3503 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:45:52 pm »
16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar
Christine Byrne

This list is going to break your heart and I am really sorry.

Sugar, corn syrup, and lactose — three different types of sugar — are listed as ingredients.

Why is this bad?   Sugar is addictive.

“The real problem with sugar is that it just makes you crave more sugar,” says Amy Shapiro, M.S., R.D., of Real Nutrition NYC. When sugar enters your body, it causes the chemical dopamine to be released, which triggers your brain’s reward center and makes you feel good. That’s fine; the problem is that constantly eating too much sugar dulls this feel-good response so it takes larger amounts of sugar to get there — meaning the more sugar you eat, the more sugar you need.

shocking list at link....and it will surprise you.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/supposedly-healthy-foods-with-more-sugar-than-a-snickers

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

Re: 16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »
no matter how hard you try, you will salivate when you catch a whiff of a McDonald's
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »
That's an excellent article.  America's phobia of fats is what is causing the obesity epidemic.  My sister is on a low-fat diet - she is scared to death of anything that has fat in it!  I keep telling her that all this stuff she buys that is packaged to look so healthy and low-fat is really just higher in SUGAR. 

Now, her doctor has told her she is deficient in Vitamin D - DUH!  Vit. D is a fat soluble vitamin and in addition, she avoids the sun like a vampire because she is afraid of getting skin cancer and wrinkles.  Her hair is getting thin and breaking off and she has a host of other problems. 

Sugar causes inflammation, in your brain, your joints and in your blood vessels.  I'm diabetic and back on a low-carb diet (New Year's Resolution again) so I'm reading the labels and shocked by the carb counts of these supposedly healthy foods.  Heck, you'd probably be better off just eating the Snickers bar!  At least that's got some peanuts in it. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »
That's an excellent article.  America's phobia of fats is what is causing the obesity epidemic.  My sister is on a low-fat diet - she is scared to death of anything that has fat in it!  I keep telling her that all this stuff she buys that is packaged to look so healthy and low-fat is really just higher in SUGAR. 

Now, her doctor has told her she is deficient in Vitamin D - DUH!  Vit. D is a fat soluble vitamin and in addition, she avoids the sun like a vampire because she is afraid of getting skin cancer and wrinkles.  Her hair is getting thin and breaking off and she has a host of other problems. 

Sugar causes inflammation, in your brain, your joints and in your blood vessels.  I'm diabetic and back on a low-carb diet (New Year's Resolution again) so I'm reading the labels and shocked by the carb counts of these supposedly healthy foods.  Heck, you'd probably be better off just eating the Snickers bar!  At least that's got some peanuts in it.

It also screws up the gallbladder which needs fat to tell it to release bile.  Don't release that bile it becomes sludge.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:18 pm »
Thanks for posting!!  Very good reminder to me, lately I've taken to mixing in raisins and dried cranberries into my almonds for evening snacking!!   :nono:  Got to go back to just the nuts.....

And, I didn't realize those fruit yogurts were packing so much sugar, back to plain with my own fruit added!!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:55:34 pm »
This thread is just such a downer and upsetting to my plans. Until I read it I always thought Snickers was a diet food.

Shoot. Back to fudge.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:55:58 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Millee

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:01:01 pm »
Dang it!  I like Chobani yogurt too!!  :chairbang:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 06:40:20 pm »

Excellent post. Great advice, people. Listen to alice, she's right on the money!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »
I have actually come to really dislike things like chips and fries....  I do eat yogurt, usually a homemade smoothie each day - I add a scoop of coconut oil to the smoothie and fresh fruit. . I eat a lot of salads and snack on raw vegetables (so do my dogs - they love carrots, cucumbers, red peppers. I eat very little meat these days.  I drink non-GMO whole milk which comes in a glass jar.  Seldom drink coffee... I do drink tea with lemon and honey. never have smoked and only have a very rare glass of white wine... and look a lot younger than my age, very few wrinkles both my sisters who do not follow a healthy regimen are younger than me and look at least ten years older...  and I take vitamins and herbs and use homeopathy.

Almost forgot to add.... was at the doctor today and instead of gaining weight over the holidays - I lost ten pounds and that was with a sweater and my boots on vs barefoot last summer the last time I saw the doctor and weighed in on the same scale.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:26:46 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:21 pm »
Wow, Rap. What are you doing Saturday night?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 12:31:12 am »
Wow, Rap. What are you doing Saturday night?

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:23 am »
Rap was drop-dead gorgeous in her younger days too.  No surprise to me she's aged gracefully.  ^-^

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:25 am »
Rap was drop-dead gorgeous in her younger days too.  No surprise to me she's aged gracefully.  ^-^

You're too kind........     :bighug:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 12:44:59 am »
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Can't blame a guy for trying ...  :0012: 034

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:42 am »
It also screws up the gallbladder which needs fat to tell it to release bile.  Don't release that bile it becomes sludge.

And having it taken out is not fun.

However, some people get gallstones without any discernible risk factors.  Most likely some people are predisposed to them, such as me.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:07 am »

No pics? ......it didn't happen!!   :silly:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 01:13:32 am »
Middleberg doesn't even recommend calorie-free "vitamin-fortified" waters: "They say there are vitamins in here, but it's really just sugar water. They aren't natural vitamins, so the quality of the vitamins will never be as high as if you were getting them from actual food."
This after ranting for a whole article about how all carbs, from whole grains to  high-fructose corn syrup, are all the same. (rolls eyes)

Federal guidance notes that one needs about 2000 calories a day to maintain weight. Carbs carry about 4 calories a gram and fats have 9. If you balance carbs and fats, you would need about 80 grams of fat and 200 grams of carbs to meet your quota (the rest being made up by protein). For perspective, that 12 ounce Pepsi has 40 grams, or 160 calories— a fifth of your carb quota and less than a tenth of overall calories. Following Middleberg's advice would lead most people to starvation. (Diabetics are an exception.) And people wonder why diets fail so often…

Bottom line: eat a balanced diet, keep moving, and you will probably be fine.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 01:26:00 am »
Can't blame a guy for trying ...  :0012: 034

~LOL~ that would be a VERY expensive date........ but have to say our weather might make it worth your while...

BTW I do like a filet once in a very great while.... and I used to like chips and fries, but they actually hold no attraction for me at all these days -- not sure why...  friends were here over the holidays and we went out to eat twice - I ordered antipasto salad one night and we went to a Japanese Habachi-style resturant the next night and I ate the rice, vegetables and shrimp.. took the steak home and fed it to my dogs... sounded good on the menu and didn't even interest me on the plate... picked at my turkey at Christmas - should have taken it home for my dogs actually..  I did make a cornish hen and wild rice for Thanksgiving - it was just right...    I've always been a bit of a healthy food creature, but it has become more pronounced of late.  I buy organic fruit and vegetables and the milk at my local health food store...   

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:38 am »
No pics? ......it didn't happen!!   :silly:

I'm not a redhead..... ~LOL~ just have the temperament of one....

mid-20's when I started dating George

Mid 40's

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:48 am »
This after ranting for a whole article about how all carbs, from whole grains to  high-fructose corn syrup, are all the same. (rolls eyes)

Federal guidance notes that one needs about 2000 calories a day to maintain weight. Carbs carry about 4 calories a gram and fats have 9. If you balance carbs and fats, you would need about 80 grams of fat and 200 grams of carbs to meet your quota (the rest being made up by protein). For perspective, that 12 ounce Pepsi has 40 grams, or 160 calories— a fifth of your carb quota and less than a tenth of overall calories. Following Middleberg's advice would lead most people to starvation. (Diabetics are an exception.) And people wonder why diets fail so often…

Bottom line: eat a balanced diet, keep moving, and you will probably be fine.

Doctor Sears - the author of The Zone Diet - actually presents the most balanced diet.  The interesting thing is he was actually a cancer research doctor who became interested in this subject because all the men in his family died of heart disease at a very early age and when he saw his own cholesterol edging up he started doing research into the reasons..  even if you don't follow his dies (which is a balance of fats and carbs and protein) reading his story is very enlightening... his very first book went into this in great detail.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 02:18:32 am »

Mid 40's

Gosh!   Had no idea you were so HOT! 

:beer:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 02:21:09 am »
Doctor Sears - the author of The Zone Diet - actually presents the most balanced diet.  The interesting thing is he was actually a cancer research doctor who became interested in this subject because all the men in his family died of heart disease at a very early age and when he saw his own cholesterol edging up he started doing research into the reasons..  even if you don't follow his dies (which is a balance of fats and carbs and protein) reading his story is very enlightening... his very first book went into this in great detail.

I still think the fact that "all the men in his family died at an early age of heart disease", by amending his diet, he couldn't turn around 2+ generations of heredity.

I have a friend whose parents and grandparents live well into their 90's.   I hate him.   LOL!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 02:35:58 am »

Mid 40's

Mid 20's and Mid 40's, how did you dress during the Depression, Rap?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »
I still think the fact that "all the men in his family died at an early age of heart disease", by amending his diet, he couldn't turn around 2+ generations of heredity.

I have a friend whose parents and grandparents live well into their 90's.   I hate him.   LOL!
The best advice I have heard in regard to longevity: “Choose your parents wisely.” —Dick Clark
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »
The best advice I have heard in regard to longevity: “Choose your parents wisely.” —Dick Clark

Actually the cardiologist at the VA said something similar to my husband when there for a checkup.  George's dad died due to heart disease and diabetes.. so did his younger brother die from heart disease and diabetes his grandmother and sister diabetics and George was always borderline, kept in check by the diet we followed, but barely... in addition his mother, all her sisters, her mother and grandmother all died from stomach cancer... so the advice from the cardiologist was choose better genetics next time round.