Author Topic: 16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar  (Read 3516 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: 16 Supposedly Healthy Foods With More Sugar Than A Snickers Bar
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 08:08:47 pm »

Actually the cardiologist at the VA said something similar to my husband when there for a checkup.  George's dad died due to heart disease and diabetes.. so did his younger brother die from heart disease and diabetes his grandmother and sister diabetics and George was always borderline, kept in check by the diet we followed, but barely... in addition his mother, all her sisters, her mother and grandmother all died from stomach cancer... so the advice from the cardiologist was choose better genetics next time round.

Yep....so remember boys and girls....push away from the table when you first feel full....instead of eating second helpings.

It could spell the difference in your grandchild's life.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
Yep....so remember boys and girls....push away from the table when you first feel full....instead of eating second helpings.

It could spell the difference in your grandchild's life.   :laugh:

The interesting thing is both his dad and grandmother were both very slight of stature and not in the least overweight.  They were insulin dependent diabetics.  I tried and tried to get his dad to change his diet but to no avail.  I still remember not long before his bypass surgery I went with George and his sister to see his dad who asked his sister to make him a grilled cheese and ham sandwich on white bread... this is when we already knew he was being scheduled for bypass surgery...... I bit my tongue since it was his dad, not mine, but cringed at anyone with heart disease eating what he wanted to eat.   They did a quadruple bypass and the heart was so badly damaged at that point it didn't have what was required for his kidneys to function properly, they stopped functioning after surgery and he ended up on dialysis and then on a respirator..... two months in cardiology intensive care before he passed away. I saw up close how horrible it is for a person to undergo dialysis.   
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 08:56:54 pm »
The interesting thing is both his dad and grandmother were both very slight of stature and not in the least overweight.  They were insulin dependent diabetics.  I tried and tried to get his dad to change his diet but to no avail.  I still remember not long before his bypass surgery I went with George and his sister to see his dad who asked his sister to make him a grilled cheese and ham sandwich on white bread... this is when we already knew he was being scheduled for bypass surgery...... I bit my tongue since it was his dad, not mine, but cringed at anyone with heart disease eating what he wanted to eat.   They did a quadruple bypass and the heart was so badly damaged at that point it didn't have what was required for his kidneys to function properly, they stopped functioning after surgery and he ended up on dialysis and then on a respirator..... two months in cardiology intensive care before he passed away. I saw up close how horrible it is for a person to undergo dialysis.   

I'm afraid I will not have the courage to face that 'end' when it comes. 

Rather be in control of my demise when that time comes.   

Hope the Creator understands..... :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:34 am »
I'm afraid I will not have the courage to face that 'end' when it comes. 

Rather be in control of my demise when that time comes.   

Hope the Creator understands..... :laugh:

We would drive up to Long Beach every night after work to see him.  We'd go into his room and he would look at you with these pleading eyes to just let him go.  No one wanted to make "the" decision.  Not George's stepmother or his sister or brother.   This went on for two months.  We had already paid for a trip between Christmas and New Years and everyone told us to go ahead and go since he wasn't changing up or down.  The last day of our trip his sister called and said they wanted to take him off the respirator and everyone wanted George to make the decision.  He told them no way would he do it long distance, so we went to the hospital as soon as our plane landed New Years Eve.  He told the staff at the hospital he wanted to sleep on it and would decide the next day.  We visited with his dad for a while and went home.  The hospital called at 6 a.m. to tell us he'd passed.  It was a relief for George not to make the decision, but the experience and subsequent discussions we had over the years clarified for me exactly how he felt about the subject.   

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776