Author Topic: Why Saudi Arabia and Israel Have Teamed Up Against Iran  (Read 420 times)

SPQR

Why Saudi Arabia and Israel Have Teamed Up Against Iran
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Why Saudi Arabia and Israel Have Teamed Up Against Iran
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
A point largely neglected when talking about Iran:
After all, this ancient nation can trace an uninterrupted cultural path back to the 6th Century B.C. and has long been the major power in the region.

I recall when I was in college an Iranian informed me how, as part of his early schooling, he had to memorize a list of Iranian kings going all the way back to Cyrus the Great. The pedagogical benefits of such an exercise aside, it was illustrative of how seriously Iranian take their history and their place in the world. The Iranians also take pride in having acted as a bulwark against and constant enemy of Rome, preventing the empire's eastward expansion. That, plus the fact most Iranians I met while in college, were remarkably arrogant so-and-sos taught me all I needed to know about them as a people.

I do not think they can be coerced into do much of anything, especially if they interpret matters as an insult to their national pride.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:09 AM »
A point largely neglected when talking about Iran:
I recall when I was in college an Iranian informed me how, as part of his early schooling, he had to memorize a list of Iranian kings going all the way back to Cyrus the Great. The pedagogical benefits of such an exercise aside, it was illustrative of how seriously Iranian take their history and their place in the world. The Iranians also take pride in having acted as a bulwark against and constant enemy of Rome, preventing the empire's eastward expansion. That, plus the fact most Iranians I met while in college, were remarkably arrogant so-and-sos taught me all I needed to know about them as a people.

I do not think they can be coerced into do much of anything, especially if they interpret matters as an insult to their national pride.

You are forgetting that Cyrus the Great freed the Jews from their Babylonian captivity.Cyrus the Great left a lasting legacy on the Jewish religion where because of his policies in Babylonia, he is referred to by the Jewish Bible, as Mashiah (hebr.: anointed one) see Ezra 2:64
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:15:56 AM by SPQR »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:03 AM »
No, SPQR, I did not forget that great man. His history is not relevant to my post, and his political descendants are not as magnificent as he was. They only think they are. Plus they are adherents of a religion which precludes the tolerance of a Cyrus.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

SPQR

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
No, SPQR, I did not forget that great man. His history is not relevant to my post, and his political descendants are not as magnificent as he was. They only think they are. Plus they are adherents of a religion which precludes the tolerance of a Cyrus.

Good Point

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf