Author Topic: Kerry Presents Russian Counterpart with a Pair of Potatoes  (Read 308 times)

Offline flowers

Kerry Presents Russian Counterpart with a Pair of Potatoes
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/01/13/kerry-presents-russian-counterpart-with-a-pair-of-potatoes/

Secretary of State John Kerry presented Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov not with a reset button at today’s Syria talks in Paris, but with… a pair of potatoes.

#idahopotato presented by @JohnKerry to Sergey #Lavrov: to be or not to be #luckypotato? @mfa_russia pic.twitter.com/QBOCm3FUVn

— MFA Russia (@mfa_russia) January 13, 2014

At their joint press conference, a confused Russian reporter asked about the gift. “It is a symbolic gift? What does it mean?”

“Well, he told me he’s not going to make vodka. He’s going to eat them,” Kerry quipped before changing the subject.

“With respect to the potatoes, I really want to clarify: There’s no hidden meaning,” he later said. “There’s no metaphor. There’s no symbolic anything. We were having a good conversation in the course of the Christmas break over the subject of Idaho, which was where I was at the time, and he recalled the Idaho potatoes as being something that he knew of, so I thought I would surprise him and bring him some good Idaho potatoes. And that’s the full symbol of the whole thing.”

“The specific potato which John handed to me has the shape which makes it possible to insert potato in the carrot-and-stick expression,” Lavrov laughed. “So it could be used differently.”

:thud:

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
  • “It’s easier to fool people than to convince them
Re: Kerry Presents Russian Counterpart with a Pair of Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
He should have included a CD of Obama's greatest speeches.  Like the one Obama gave to the Queen of England. :whistle:
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm. Abraham Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
“The specific potato which John handed to me has the shape which makes it possible to insert potato in the carrot-and-stick expression,” Lavrov laughed. “So it could be used differently.”
I suspect Mr. Lavrov also had a suggestion for Mr. Kerry as to where to insert said spud.
The skeptic is never for real. There he stands, cocktail in hand, left arm draped languorously on one end of the mantelpiece, telling you that he can't be sure of anything, not even of his own existence. I'll give you my secret method of demolishing universal skepticism in four words. Whisper to him: "Your fly is open." If he thinks knowledge is so all-fired impossible, why does he always look? — James Sire (from, The Universe Next Door)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »
Gimme a couple of boxes of Shredded Wheat and a couple a big bottles of Metamucil, and I'll make that Commie bastard a potato he'll never forget....

:smokin:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
Why would Kerry do this??   :shrug:
"January 20th 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."  --  President Donald J. Trump

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
Why would Kerry do this??   :shrug:

"Lend me your ears!"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:25:57 PM by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:25:50 AM »
Gimme a couple of boxes of Shredded Wheat and a couple a big bottles of Metamucil, and I'll make that Commie bastard a potato he'll never forget....

:bigsilly: :mauslaff:
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Conspiracy engineer. Low rates.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »

Now, now. Not even Kerry deserves that ....  :whistle:
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

Every time I start to feel boring, I remember there is a monthly magazine devoted to elevators.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:36 AM »
Now, now. Not even Kerry deserves that ....  :whistle:

You are, as usual, correct.  He deserves it laced with Exlax, too. :silly:

Online EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Conspiracy engineer. Low rates.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Mind you, thinking on this further - it's a trap.

Russia, like the US, has a pretty strict bio-quarantine going on. If Kerry took two raw potatoes to Russia, he could have accidentally devastated the potato crop there.

Imagine a Russia without Vodka.
The fastest way to a man's heart? Inch to the right of the breastbone, between the fourth and fifth rib.

Every time I start to feel boring, I remember there is a monthly magazine devoted to elevators.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
Imagine a Russia without Vodka.
As horrid a spectacle as Teresa Heinz Kerry without gin-soaked raisins!
The skeptic is never for real. There he stands, cocktail in hand, left arm draped languorously on one end of the mantelpiece, telling you that he can't be sure of anything, not even of his own existence. I'll give you my secret method of demolishing universal skepticism in four words. Whisper to him: "Your fly is open." If he thinks knowledge is so all-fired impossible, why does he always look? — James Sire (from, The Universe Next Door)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf