Author Topic: Progeria Thread  (Read 1168 times)

Offline olde north church

Progeria Thread
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:13:59 pm »
It was wrong of me to put the tangent away from the young man, the most important person in the story.  I've deleted my comments.  But will ask this question:

God gets the credit, why shouldn't He get the blame?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

Re: Progeria Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:19:15 pm »
It was wrong of me to put the tangent away from the young man, the most important person in the story.  I've deleted my comments.  But will ask this question:

God gets the credit, why shouldn't He get the blame?

A good question; what is your view?

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:28:32 pm »
A good question; what is your view?

I like the Jewish version.  There's one guy in charge of it all and the rain falls on the just and unjust.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »
I like the Jewish version.  There's one guy in charge of it all and the rain falls on the just and unjust.

I prefer the adage....."Shit happens!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:22 am »

I prefer the adage....."Shit happens!"

Prefer my version of that. "Shit happens. Then you flush."

As to whether God should get the blame: Or the surface, yes. It's surely not beyond his power to give a defective sperm a nudge out of the way at the right instant. Bit rough on not only the kid but the parents too, that he doesn't bother. It's not so long ago that genetic defects were considered punishment from God on the parents.

However, everything has a reason. Matthew 25:40: The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

God and Jesus are both pretty down on people who talk the talk but don't do the walk. You know the sort, they are all too common. Pass a beggar in the street and tell him to get a job, then walk into the church and feel good about themselves.
In counterbalance, most people with genetic disorders seem to be happy. Of course, they have moods, same as everyone, but their default state is cheerful and loving for the most part.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:10:38 am »
Prefer my version of that. "Shit happens. Then you flush."

As to whether God should get the blame: Or the surface, yes. It's surely not beyond his power to give a defective sperm a nudge out of the way at the right instant. Bit rough on not only the kid but the parents too, that he doesn't bother. It's not so long ago that genetic defects were considered punishment from God on the parents.

However, everything has a reason. Matthew 25:40: The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

God and Jesus are both pretty down on people who talk the talk but don't do the walk. You know the sort, they are all too common. Pass a beggar in the street and tell him to get a job, then walk into the church and feel good about themselves.
In counterbalance, most people with genetic disorders seem to be happy. Of course, they have moods, same as everyone, but their default state is cheerful and loving for the most part.

:beer:

You're a good man, EC! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:09 am »

You're a good man, EC!

Nah. Just have a very good and patient priest.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink