Author Topic: McCain: Send Petraeus back to Iraq  (Read 810 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCain: Send Petraeus back to Iraq
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:24:31 pm »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/12/mccain-send-petraeus-back-to-iraq/

January 12th, 2014
10:50 AM ET

McCain: Send Petraeus back to Iraq

Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough   

(CNN) - President Barack Obama should send David Petraeus, a retired four-star general who ran the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, back to Iraq to help deal with the growing unrest in the country, Sen. John McCain said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

The Arizona Republican also weighed in on a new book by former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, saying he would have waited a bit longer to release the book, which offers a blistering critique of the Obama administration.

On Iraq, McCain said the country is not a lost cause and argued the United States can still offer assistance to help quell the renewed violence that’s rocked the country in the last year.

The 2008 GOP presidential nominee said he opposed sending combat troops back to Iraq, but added the U.S. can provide other kinds of aid, such as logistics support and Apache helicopters.

“I would suggest perhaps sending David Petraeus and Ambassador (Ryan) Crocker back over there,” McCain told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley. “(Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri) Al-Maliki trusts them.”

Petraeus has largely stayed out of the limelight since he resigned from his post as CIA director in November 2012 following an affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell.

Crocker was the U.S. ambassador to Iraq from 2007 to 2009, before becoming the ambassador to Afghanistan. He left the latter position in 2012 due to health reasons.

McCain also said if he were in Gates’ position, he might have waited a little bit longer to release a memoir about his role as defense secretary. The book, which includes strong criticism of Gates’ former boss, Obama, is set to release on Tuesday.

The Arizona Senator described Gates as “one of the finest public servants I have known” and said the book “surprised all of us who know him, and he’s decided to really kind of let loose.”

McCain added, however, he would have waiting “a little longer than now” to release the book, titled “Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War.”

“But I also respect his ability to voice his views any time he wants to,” McCain said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: McCain: Send Petraeus back to Iraq
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:51:51 pm »
McCain.

SHUT THE EFF UP!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:55:02 pm »
Send McCain back to Viet Nam.  To a cage.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »
We made a mistake the first time we invaded Iraq.  It makes no sense to make the same mistake twice, particularly since we have a astronomically greater budget deficit now.  But, McCain thinks we have an endless supply of money to invade the world.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:12:23 pm »
We made a mistake the first time we invaded Iraq.  It makes no sense to make the same mistake twice, particularly since we have a astronomically greater budget deficit now.  But, McCain thinks we have an endless supply of money to invade the world.

Going to slightly disagree.

In. Deal with the problem. Out. Didn't need to take long and it sends a message. "Screw with us, your ass is grass."

Unfortunately, nation building got tangled up in there. Dumbest idea ever (and we know dumb ideas).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Olivia

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:17:06 pm »
I'm puzzled as to why the media thinks John McCain's opinion on every subject is wanted.
I'm sick of his face in television and sick of his viewpoints! 
Please, Please retire and shut-up!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:17:23 pm by Olivia »
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:50:12 pm »
I'm puzzled as to why the media thinks John McCain's opinion on every subject is wanted.
The media goes to him because he was in the military, has served on military committees in congress, was a GOP candidate, and he makes for good television material.

If you don't like him or the type of television programming he's on, turn the channel.

BTW have you got any comments on the SUBSTANCE of the interview, re. Iraq, Petreaus, etc?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:24:59 pm »

He has no intention in retiring.  just bought a puppy an Cindy is suddenly getting actve down in Phoenix...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:49:57 pm »
He has no intention in retiring.  just bought a puppy an Cindy is suddenly getting actve down in Phoenix...
What......the puppy made local news?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:54:52 pm »
I wish someone would have told McCain they can't send him back because Obama's DOJ and NSA went through his lap top until they could fry him. Now we know it was to shut him up over Benghazi. McCain is a tPOS.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Olivia

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:04:59 pm »
The media goes to him because he was in the military, has served on military committees in congress, was a GOP candidate, and he makes for good television material.

If you don't like him or the type of television programming he's on, turn the channel.

BTW have you got any comments on the SUBSTANCE of the interview, re. Iraq, Petreaus, etc?

Well, yes, I do have some comments on the SUBSTANCE of the interview.

"President Barack Obama should send David Petraeus, a retired four-star general who ran the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, back to Iraq to help deal with the growing unrest in the country, Sen. John McCain said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

No!  It wouldn't be in our county's best interest to send Petraeus back to Iraq.  Been there, done that...thousands of our military were killed there.  All for nothing it seems.
They has been fighting in the middle east for thousands of years and they will be fighting for another thousand if the world stands.  There's no "growing unrest" there, it's a way of life.

"The Arizona Republican also weighed in on a new book by former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, saying he would have waited a bit longer to release the book, which offers a blistering critique of the Obama administration."

Of course, McCain would have this opinion about the Defense Secretary, Robert Gates. 
He works hard at being on the other side of the aisle most of the time.  He gets more attention that way and he loves attention.

"On Iraq, McCain said the country is not a lost cause."
The country is a lost cause, the same as Afghanistan.  Anyone with any common sense can see that. 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:36:13 pm »
Well, yes, I do have some comments on the SUBSTANCE of the interview.

"President Barack Obama should send David Petraeus, a retired four-star general who ran the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, back to Iraq to help deal with the growing unrest in the country, Sen. John McCain said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

No!  It wouldn't be in our county's best interest to send Petraeus back to Iraq.  Been there, done that...thousands of our military were killed there.  All for nothing it seems.
They has been fighting in the middle east for thousands of years and they will be fighting for another thousand if the world stands.  There's no "growing unrest" there, it's a way of life.

"The Arizona Republican also weighed in on a new book by former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, saying he would have waited a bit longer to release the book, which offers a blistering critique of the Obama administration."

Of course, McCain would have this opinion about the Defense Secretary, Robert Gates. 
He works hard at being on the other side of the aisle most of the time.  He gets more attention that way and he loves attention.

"On Iraq, McCain said the country is not a lost cause."
The country is a lost cause, the same as Afghanistan.  Anyone with any common sense can see that.

:thumbsup2: goopo
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:28 pm »
Why send Patraeus back?  We know from Gate's book Obama does not support the military and sending them back would be a suicide mission.  On the other hand, if Obama actually lead them into battle it might not be a bad thing.  I'm afraid, though, there would a lot of bullet holes in his back. :silly:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:47 pm »

:beer: