Author Topic: Supreme Court won’t revive Arizona’s 20-week abortion ban  (Read 1012 times)

Offline happyg

Supreme Court won’t revive Arizona’s 20-week abortion ban
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:04:39 pm »
The Supreme Court has rejected Arizona’s bid to put in place its ban on most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

The justices on Monday declined to reconsider a lower court ruling that the law violates a woman’s constitutionally protected right to terminate a pregnancy before a fetus is able to survive outside the womb.

“Viability” of a fetus is generally considered to start at 24 weeks. Normal pregnancies run about 40 weeks.

Gov. Jan Brewer signed the ban into law in April 2012. Nine other states have enacted similar bans starting at 20 weeks or even earlier.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said last year such bans violate a long string of Supreme Court rulings starting with the seminal Roe v. Wade decision in 1973.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/13/supreme-court-wont-revive-arizona-abortion-ban/#ixzz2qIMJgghS
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Supreme Court won’t revive Arizona’s 20-week abortion ban
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:52 am »
They're waiting for another court, likely the 5th, to rule differently.  Once that happens, they'll have to take the case.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:00:03 am »
They're waiting for another court, likely the 5th, to rule differently.  Once that happens, they'll have to take the case.

Why the 5th???? 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:02 am »
This is what SCOTUS and people like Wendy Davis ignore......

http://cultureshift.tumblr.com/post/54505134725/meet-walter-joshua-fretz-a-human-being
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:29:14 am »
This is what SCOTUS and people like Wendy Davis ignore......

http://cultureshift.tumblr.com/post/54505134725/meet-walter-joshua-fretz-a-human-being

That's a power article, particularly the baby and the mother hold him.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:33:46 am »
Why the 5th????

The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals is very conservative.  They are the ones that Abortion Barbie's buddies are appealing to over the Texas abortion law.  They already allowed the law to go into effect, after Planned Parenthood found a friendly judge to try and block it.

If the 5th rules opposite of the 9th, then the Supreme Court will have to take the case since there is a conflict at the appellate level.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:38:16 am »
The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals is very conservative.  They are the ones that Abortion Barbie's buddies are appealing to over the Texas abortion law.  They already allowed the law to go into effect, after Planned Parenthood found a friendly judge to try and block it.

If the 5th rules opposite of the 9th, then the Supreme Court will have to take the case since there is a conflict at the appellate level.

Thanks.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:39:08 am »
That's a power article, particularly the baby and the mother hold him.

I debated posting as a standalone article.  Everyone should see it.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:25 am »

They won't necessarily take it, at least not immediately.  There are plenty of circuit splits, some of which have been around for years.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:27:16 am »
"... the law violates a woman’s constitutionally protected right to terminate a pregnancy before a fetus is able to survive outside the womb.

I have GOT to get myself a better copy of the Constitution.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 07:03:55 am »
I have GOT to get myself a better copy of the Constitution.
You need to get a copy that includes the Penumbra.  My copy has the Articles and the Amendments, but no Penumbra.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 02:48:13 pm »
You need to get a copy that includes the Penumbra.  My copy has the Articles and the Amendments, but no Penumbra.

I ordered a copy of the Penumbra from www.shitthatprogressivesthinkisintheconstitutionbutreallyisn'tthere.com, and the Penumbra mentions a "right to privacy", but no "constitutionally protected right to terminate a pregnancy before a fetus is able to survive outside the womb".
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx