Author Topic: Just 25% self ID as Republican; independents soar to record 42%  (Read 805 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Just 25% self ID as Republican; independents soar to record 42%
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:35:25 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/

The GOP has grappled for months with a self-acknowledged brand problem, and the consequences just became all the more painfully clear: The number of Americans shedding the Republican label to become independents is exploding. The solution, political strategists suggest, may lie in party leaders’ ability to return to core values that distinguish Republicans from Democrats on everything from spending to personal freedom.

The latest evidence of the GOP’s woes — and opportunities — surfaced Wednesday with a Gallup poll that showed the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.

The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed.

The polling data added to the self-imposed soul-searching that many Republicans have embarked upon since the 2012 election losses.

Rep. Jim Bridenstine of Oklahoma, a rising star among conservatives, lays the blame on “Republicans continuing to join Democrats in their support for more taxes, more spending and more debt.”

<snip>

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2qHkeNm00

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Just 25% self ID as Republican; independents soar to record 42%
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:44:58 pm »
I'm one of the 42%
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:47 pm »
Abortion in the case of rape or incest

Should be
legal           75%

Should be
illegal          22%

2011 Jun 9-12 Gallup

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx#3

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 05:47:24 pm »
Hey queeg, you've been in creepy obsession status for a couple of days now.  Here-- let me get it unstuck for you. 

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »
 :silly: who is queeg? The one obsessed with abortion more than the far right wingers are?

ETAed( edited to add) I am one of the 42%. I changed when I had to renew my DL.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:56:05 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:25 pm »
Dr. Ben Sasse, president of Midland University in Nebraska ... and running for Senate was just on Real News and said  when you ask students in his school what the GOP stands for ... No one can answer the question...their problem is messaging... and it's why they are losing voters.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:17 am »
:silly: who is queeg? The one obsessed with abortion more than the far right wingers are?

ETAed( edited to add) I am one of the 42%. I changed when I had to renew my DL.

Great.  I hope both you and Rap don't complain when the GOP nominates another Romney or McCain after they win closed primary states.

Rap, I thought AZ was a closed primary state?  Isn't that where you live?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:58:05 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:53 am »
Great.  I hope both you and Rap don't complain when the GOP nominates another Romney or McCain after they win closed primary states.

Rap, I thought AZ was a closed primary state?  Isn't that where you live?

He got it opened for the primary and then re-closed after the primary...  a lot of people fought this, but the head of the AZ GOP is a good "friend" of his.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:03:40 am »
He got it opened for the primary and then re-closed after the primary...  a lot of people fought this, but the head of the AZ GOP is a good "friend" of his.

Any documentation for this? Looked and looked and found nothing.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln